2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by blackbox2342 »

Romano told GIVEMESPORT: “For Leeds, they are exploring some options. But they want to make sure that it is the right opportunity. They don’t want to waste money, they trust the players they have, and so they’re looking at the market for some opportunities.”
I hope playing it cool is a ploy. LB and ST both needed, even if cheaper back up options.

And this on Twitter less than half an hour ago from sports journalist Nicolo Schira:
Willy #Gnonto is getting closer and closer to #Leeds from #FCZurich. Agreed personal terms for a contract until 2027. Talks in progress between #LUFC and #FCZ to try to reach an agreement. #transfers
awost1
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by awost1 »

mshnd06 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 19:33 As an avid fan of the MLS, I'm not sure what to think of the connection with Leeds. The league is growing rapidly and the quality has improved dramatically, but I'm uncertain as to how well a recruitment strategy comprised primarily of his former charges and players from his most familiar league (and a less established league, as well) will work. All of that said, I didn't think Harrison would succeed in England, at least not at the PL level, when he was in MLS. For me, two of our three best performers over the first two matches are MLS projects and Tyler, while not a complete player, has shown some flashes of quality. Of the two we are connected with - LB Kai Wagner plays at a level comparable to Aaronson and Adams' tenures and above Harrison's. CF Brandon Vasquez is a traditional 9 - excellent in the air, excellent movement in the box, productive poacher and young-ish at 23. That said he only really started to fill the stat sheet this season (though he is firmly in the race for the Golden Boot as the season winds down) and he is aided by an additional goal threat from CF and an excellent 10, which we currently lack. I'd compare his tenure in MLS to Harrison's - there's clearly talent there but there are still uncertainties. The nice thing about these rumours is that they address needs, at least temporarily, and I would expect them to be cheap/low risk.

I also think there are some quality, low cost options in Liga MX:
Erick Aguirre - LB
Juan Dinenno - CF
German Berterame - CF
Julian Quinones - CF/AM/SS
Sorry mate, but there's a reason that no player you mentioned went directly from the MLS to the Prem. Are you aware of the Bundesliga tax? I shudder to think what the "MLS tax" might be on these players.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

awost1 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 14:34
mshnd06 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 19:33 As an avid fan of the MLS, I'm not sure what to think of the connection with Leeds. The league is growing rapidly and the quality has improved dramatically, but I'm uncertain as to how well a recruitment strategy comprised primarily of his former charges and players from his most familiar league (and a less established league, as well) will work. All of that said, I didn't think Harrison would succeed in England, at least not at the PL level, when he was in MLS. For me, two of our three best performers over the first two matches are MLS projects and Tyler, while not a complete player, has shown some flashes of quality. Of the two we are connected with - LB Kai Wagner plays at a level comparable to Aaronson and Adams' tenures and above Harrison's. CF Brandon Vasquez is a traditional 9 - excellent in the air, excellent movement in the box, productive poacher and young-ish at 23. That said he only really started to fill the stat sheet this season (though he is firmly in the race for the Golden Boot as the season winds down) and he is aided by an additional goal threat from CF and an excellent 10, which we currently lack. I'd compare his tenure in MLS to Harrison's - there's clearly talent there but there are still uncertainties. The nice thing about these rumours is that they address needs, at least temporarily, and I would expect them to be cheap/low risk.

Erick Aguirre - LB
Juan Dinenno - CF
German Berterame - CF
Sorry mate, but there's a reason that no player you mentioned went directly from the MLS to the Prem. Are you aware of the Bundesliga tax? I shudder to think what the "MLS tax" might be on these players.
What's the Bundesliga tax then, to us who aren't as clued up? Thanks.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

Another Northern Soul wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 15:58

Erick Aguirre - LB
Juan Dinenno - CF
German Berterame - CF
Players' records in the Premier League more often than not do not match up to what their record was when they moved from the Bundesliga
mshnd06

Post by mshnd06 »

awost1 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 14:34 Sorry mate, but there's a reason that no player you mentioned went directly from the MLS to the Prem. Are you aware of the Bundesliga tax? I shudder to think what the "MLS tax" might be on these players.
Awost1 - Fair play. I should have considered that but didn't.

Another Northern Soul - I'm not sure but I believe the Bundesliga tax refers to the reduction in productivity you can expect from a player moving from the Bundesliga to the Premier League.

I don't watch the Swiss Super League and I haven't seen Gnonto play, but he has four caps for Italy at 18, is I believe the youngest goalscorer in their history, and made his debut as a substitute in a competitive match against Germany and provided an assist in very limited minutes. I'd say that's encouraging.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Aaron wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 16:18
Another Northern Soul wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 15:58

Erick Aguirre - LB
Juan Dinenno - CF
German Berterame - CF
Players' records in the Premier League more often than not do not match up to what their record was when they moved from the Bundesliga
Thanks Aaron. So it isn't actually a thing then, no wonder I was clueless :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

mshnd06 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 16:23
awost1 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 14:34 Sorry mate, but there's a reason that no player you mentioned went directly from the MLS to the Prem. Are you aware of the Bundesliga tax? I shudder to think what the "MLS tax" might be on these players.
Awost1 - Fair play. I should have considered that but didn't.

Another Northern Soul - I'm not sure but I believe the Bundesliga tax refers to the reduction in productivity you can expect from a player moving from the Bundesliga to the Premier League.

I don't watch the Swiss Super League and I haven't seen Gnonto play, but he has four caps for Italy at 18, is I believe the youngest goalscorer in their history, and made his debut as a substitute in a competitive match against Germany and provided an assist in very limited minutes. I'd say that's encouraging.
Thanks. I think we signed Yeboah from the Bundesliga (Eintracht Frankfurt) so that's not a bad one to break the trend, a lifetime ago admittedly :P
mshnd06

Post by mshnd06 »

awost1 - do you recall which former MLS players went directly to the Prem? The only one I can think of is Almiron - best player in the MLS, merely okay in the PL. That said, the Bundesliga tax is significant because of the perceived near equality of the PL and the Bundesliga leading to transfer fees that aren't then matched by production. I don't think an MLS tax can really be considered because no one expects their production to be matched, the quality of the player in question is much lower and the fees involved will be much lower. I don't think we're looking for the long-term solution with Wagner and Vasquez, I think just a cheap, emergency fill in
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

mshnd06 wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 16:41 awost1 - do you recall which former MLS players went directly to the Prem? The only one I can think of is Almiron - best player in the MLS, merely okay in the PL.
If we go a bit back in time we can count Brad Friedel, Clint Dempsey and Tim Howard atleast. I think the gap was even bigger back then. Then I think DeAndre Yedlin did the same.
None of them really works beaters, but the three first got a decent Premier League career.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Joe Max Moore to Everton, John Harkes to Derby, Charles Gil to Villa, Everton had another guy from LA who also played in Germany.