Boxing Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: Boxing Thread

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

Apparently MMA has more rules than boxing. You are not allowed to hit in certain places, one being the back of the neck at the base of the skull.

I would prefer to watch MMA but the one thing that I feel is over the top, is when someone has been knocked out and hits the canvas, their opponents continues to pound their head. This is too dangerous for me. Especially with deaths in sport coming from the secondary concussion theory.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:Apparently MMA has more rules than boxing. You are not allowed to hit in certain places, one being the back of the neck at the base of the skull.

I would prefer to watch MMA but the one thing that I feel is over the top, is when someone has been knocked out and hits the canvas, their opponents continues to pound their head. This is too dangerous for me. Especially with deaths in sport coming from the secondary concussion theory.
I don't no much about MMA to be honest Gilford, but it does seem bizarre that your allowed to sit on top of your opponent and pummel them in the face until they tap out or are knocked out. Its a throw back to the Roman coliseum stuff it wont be long before they will be releasing lions in there.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I'm with Rigger on this one. Can't deny the dedication, skill or fitness needed to get to the top but it's not for me. As for cage fighting that to me is just a step round the corner from the alleyway outside the pub.

Think I'm an old fashioned git.....
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

Davycc wrote:I'm with Rigger on this one. Can't deny the dedication, skill or fitness needed to get to the top but it's not for me. As for cage fighting that to me is just a step round the corner from the alleyway outside the pub.

Think I'm an old fashioned git.....
I once went to Belfast to watch cage fighting and never again. The local personalities entered the scene like they owned the place, while spectators rushed down the aisles to watch their fighter while shadow boxing with excitement. The wife got elbowed in the side of the head as she was next to the aisle. (Though she held her own in the second round :) ) then to top it all off, the cage was that low it meant we couldn't see when they were grappling on the canvas.

Come to think of it, I was just glad to get out in one piece.
Deleted User 3289

Jim Watt announces retirement as Sky Sports Boxing commentator after 40 years. Enjoy your retirement Jim you deserve it.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Josh Warrington next Saturday :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Josh "the Leeds Warrior" Warrington takes on Patrick Hyland. Should be a good fight BB, what he lacks in power, he makes up for in stamina. One things for sure the atmosphere will be electric.

Good Luck to the lad. Good to see Simon Grayson at some of his fights.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Josh was at the Beehive, Bolton before our game last season. He spent an age having his photo taken with fans, signing autographs etc. He even, when requested by us lot, started a rendition of Marching On Together.

I don't know him personally, but seems a decent fella.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Barlow Boy wrote:Josh was at the Beehive, Bolton before our game last season. He spent an age having his photo taken with fans, signing autographs etc. He even, when requested by us lot, started a rendition of Marching On Together.

I don't know him personally, but seems a decent fella.
Agreed BB. When he gives interviews he comes across has a down to earth lad. I had to laugh when I watched him being interviewed on Soccer Am especially the bit about Cellino at 5.26. Its great that the Leeds fans have got someone to get behind like the City fans used to get behind Hatton.

http://tugashow.com/video/x36p25i
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League