Feed the birds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Feed the birds

Post by Selby White »

Did a walk around Fairburn Ings (RSPB) earlier today and spotted a couple of Jays what beautiful birds they are.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Bird life is almost none existent here at the moment still no hirundines & our flock of finches & tits also gone. The bird feeders are getting constantly raided by a pair of squirrels.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Not always the most loved of birds but we always get a few wood pigeons in the garden but until last night have never seen a baby.
Apparently it's very rare as the usually stay in the nest until fully developed.
Looked out and on our fence was Mum, Dad & Baby which was about half the size of the adults.

They were clearly teaching it to fly from point to point around our garden, was a fascinating watch for 30 mins or so.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Not really the place here bit it is bird related. I've a pair of Conures one of which the female is around 12 years old and the male just over 4. She used to breed every year with her last partner but he died about 5 years ago. I got a young male 4 years ago as they love company. Had thought she was now too old to breed as there's been nothing but last week I heard the unmistakable goings on coming from their box. Today I was able to check while they were both out of the box, 4 eggs in there ATM usually stops around 6.

Bit concerned with her age but shes seems to be doing fine.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Just back from my walk and sat for 10-15 minutes watching a great spotted woodpecker busily drumming away on a tree. Sadly it flew off as quite honestly I could have watched it all day.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Had the dog out this morning down by the river where we often walk. Spotted a kingfisher darting across the water and perching on the far side. First one I've spotted here what a stunning bird.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Just had an early morning walk and the woodpecker was back drumming on the same tree as the other day and yes I sat and watched him for 10 minutes but this time I took a pair of binoculars. A bit further on was a man looking through a telescope so I asked what he was looking at and he replied a Mediterranean Gull. He let me look and sure enough I knew instantly which bird he was looking at. All in all a great walk.

Larus Melanocephalus.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Sat in the garden this afternoon & yeah we had a flock of swifts & I sat for 2 hours watching them. Also there were 2 buzzards circling like Lancaster bombers which were been attacked by several crows Spitfires twas a fascinating battle.
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Bought some new feeders yesterday and bird seed will sort it out next week and hopefully start attracting birds in the autumn.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The swifts are regular now so plenty of time sat in the garden watching :D