Hobbies

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: Hobbies

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Davycc wrote:I think this topic may have been started a while back but since we've had an influx of new members I ask again. What's your bag when it comes to passing an hour or so, what lets you unwind. One of my hobbies is sketching and drawing and only for fun. Last week I took around 20 painting and sketches to our local Animal Sanctuary charity shop as they only take up space but its the challenge I like.

The one below is of a local landmark "Scrabo Tower" any guesses to where the one in progress is?

WIP

Davy, is the first one Isengard and the second St.Mary's Abbey in York ??
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

I used to play golf at Scrabo Davy - you'd need to be a billy goat on some holes!

The second one has a look of a wing of Glenarm Castle to me.
Deleted User 728

On a serious note, there's a Yorkshire artist called Kate Lycett who paints similarly themed pictures to your own efforts, Davy.
Her work is more detailed and stylised, bordering on the kind of stuff you'd see in a modern graphic novel .. and I love it.
She's very talented indeed and I only know of her because I picked up a magazine when I was staying in a B&B in Kettlewell a couple of years ago.

Here's her site link : http://www.katelycett.co.uk/

.. and a few samples :

Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:My status has nothing to do with it, mate - you'd press my buttons if I were merely a guest ;)
Just keeping you on your toes, luv, you've set the bar high, I like to ensure you maintain the standards :D

Anywayyyyy, I've recently got into painting/inking in a 'pop art' sort of way really, using acrylics, chalk, pencil, pen ink, just repro'ing in my own style rock posters and the like. I'm not very good in truth but I know people have liked what I've done so far and I've only just started. Got some lovely LU ideas in mind too which is why I was asking on here (thank you Rigger, a great help) about PaintNet etc etc.

I have literally a coffee table piled high with books to read - a mate was selling a 100 books for £20 a while back, and 80 of them are very interesting to me like rock biogs or mainly True Crime, while the others went to charity. I'm lucky too that my job is also my hobby really, so writing is almost always a pleasure and the research for whatever project I'm on is usually interesting at the very least. A 'hobby' is Screenwriting but I only call it a pastime because I've not had anything made or commissioned (yet :P ) . Been close a few times, including now strangely enough, but as yet it is still a dream to get something of mine on TV or cinema screens.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

First one is indeed Scrabo, OET your'e spot on played there several times myself it's crazy.

Second is in Yorkshire but not St Marys Abbey

Rigger those are indeed great, personally the style reminds me off 20s - 30s She has definitely her own style which is what most artist strive for, see one of her works and you won't mistake it.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

rigger wrote:On a serious note, there's a Yorkshire artist called Kate Lycett who paints similarly themed pictures to your own efforts, Davy.
Her work is more detailed and stylised, bordering on the kind of stuff you'd see in a modern graphic novel .. and I love it.
She's very talented indeed and I only know of her because I picked up a magazine when I was staying in a B&B in Kettlewell a couple of years ago.

Here's her site link : http://www.katelycett.co.uk/

.. and a few samples :

They're great. I also enjoy TV and Film like just about everyone else and even though it's quite tame there's The Big Painting Challenge on BBC1 each Sunday and really enjoy that. One aspect of painting that has always puzzled me is, especially with portraits, how the artist makes the background interesting and attractive. This programme never seems to feature the methods artists use. It's standard format for a programme but it's pleasant viewing and helpful too. Beats Songs of Praise any road :D
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
They're great. I also enjoy TV and Film like just about everyone else and even though it's quite tame there's The Big Painting Challenge on BBC1 each Sunday and really enjoy that. One aspect of painting that has always puzzled me is, especially with portraits, how the artist makes the background interesting and attractive. This programme never seems to feature the methods artists use. It's standard format for a programme but it's pleasant viewing and helpful too. Beats Songs of Praise any road :D

Caught that last week for the first and watched it again last night enjoyable show.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Rievuax Abbey :roll:
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Kate Lycett's work actually remind me of a lost art : making pictures with butterfly wings.
It would probably be illegal now, but my mum had two tiny framed silhouette pictures that were made that way and they fascinated me for years. My sister has them in her house in Jo'burg now and I always like to look at them again when I'm there.
The "front" part is black paper cut very intricately - in the shape of a lonely house in one of them - and then it's laid on top of a butterfly's wing.
The two we have are purple and blue in colour and they're absolutely stunning. I don't know if they've been treated with formaldehyde or anything as they must be at least 60 or 70 years old by now, but they're beautiful little things.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Yeah, butterflies never cease to bedazzle me, I love em too.