What do you Spend/waste money on ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: What do you Spend/waste money on ?

Post by dlw10 »

Here's another one ....but no, I don't think it applies everywhere! LOL!

Wife and I have fixed term accounts with Leeds Building society both maturing 1st March. We have no Leeds branch anywhere near us so I rang up and asked if they could send me a cheque on maturity. Chappie said no problem he'll sort it, took details , job done. Can I get the wife to ring you tomorrow I ask, yep no problem.
Wife rings and chap says , Oh can't do that, need to write in 15 days before maturity.....

.... I'm sat there with Mrs W. Give me the phone dear ...

I go ballistic with this jobsworth who tells me the first chap I spoke to was "breaking the rules" and when I demanded they read the notes on my account he tells me the other bloke took it upon himself to be helpful, made a diary note for himself to action the request 15 days before maturity and job done!!! This new chap says all not allowed ! demand to raise a complaint.

They rang me today to explain all this and then say they'll send me £50 for the misunderstanding!
Moral of this story - if a company trips themselves up, complain! You never know what you may get!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Cricket which costs me a bit of cash but with a Notts & YCCC membership this season it'll be more than ever. Luckily they've built a new Premier Inn at Headingley so that'll keep the costs down. So far I've booked..

Worcester 4 nights Premier Inn
Taunton 4 nights B&B
Scarborough 8 nights posh hotel
Manchester 5 nights Hilton
Headingley 5 nights Premier Inn, but that'll increase a lot
Durham 1 night posh hotel
The Oval 1 night posh hotel

We're lucky living where we do because I can get to Trent Bridge in 35 minutes using the tram & bus, the 3aaa's ground at Derby is approximately 15 minutes in the car, Leicester 15 minutes on the train, Chesterfield 35 minutes on the train & Birmingham can be as little as 30 minutes.

So accommodation alone won't see much change from 5k, then there's food, admission & drinks as well to take in plus of the course train fares, thank god for myself rail card & petrol.id imagine by the time we've finished its going to cost roughly £10k, money well spent.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

My mortgage. I have been trying to persuade the misses to live in a caravan for years.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I've had five mortgages, paid the final one off about 20 years ago, so it does come to an end eventually VHM. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:My mortgage. I have been trying to persuade the misses to live in a caravan for years.
Extremely fortunate to be able to pay mine off at 38.

It’s one of those necessities of life these days, but it’s a great feeling to get rid of it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Paid mine off about six years ago now.

It's the reason I can work part-time :)
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Would've had mine paid off 10 years ago :cry:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

About another 8 years to go all being well. I've said to the misses, has we have no kids to worry about when were gone, i intend on selling up at 60 and going travelling around the world hopefully while were still healthy enough. She said where will we live when the money runs out?

I said that Caravan I've always promised you. :D

Seriously it must be a great feeling chaps handing over that last monthly payment. :thumbup:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Cricket which costs me a bit of cash but with a Notts & YCCC membership this season it'll be more than ever. Luckily they've built a new Premier Inn at Headingley so that'll keep the costs down. So far I've booked..

Worcester 4 nights Premier Inn
Taunton 4 nights B&B
Scarborough 8 nights posh hotel
Manchester 5 nights Hilton
Headingley 5 nights Premier Inn, but that'll increase a lot
Durham 1 night posh hotel
The Oval 1 night posh hotel

We're lucky living where we do because I can get to Trent Bridge in 35 minutes using the tram & bus, the 3aaa's ground at Derby is approximately 15 minutes in the car, Leicester 15 minutes on the train, Chesterfield 35 minutes on the train & Birmingham can be as little as 30 minutes.

So accommodation alone won't see much change from 5k, then there's food, admission & drinks as well to take in plus of the course train fares, thank god for myself rail card & petrol.id imagine by the time we've finished its going to cost roughly £10k, money well spent.
It can be a bit scary what we all spend on our hobbies/interest but why not its our hard earned after all.

Think the key is clearing the mortgage & kids growing up before most people get to do the things they want.

Certainly couldn't do the travel I do now a few years back.

We use Premier Inns or Holiday Inn express when travelling the country for me to play on the Veterans Table Tennis circuit. Over the next year it'll involve 7 competitions weekends spread at various venues which means 3 nights away each time. Venues we visit include Bristol (April), Wolverhampton (May), Sunderland (Sept), Wolverhampton again (Oct), Norwich (Nov/Dec), Crawley (Jan/Feb), Blackpool/Preston (March).

Each event costs around £200 for accomodation and entry fees.
Add to that petrol and a meal out each night with drinks of course (another £250 +) reckon we spend in the region of £3,500 per year.

Thats only the main tournaments often enter a few other things but mainly in travelling distance.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

YCCC have the largest following of any county away from home so accomadation tends to be at a Premium. At Scarborough the minute the fixtures come on the landladies book the rooms for the guys who had booked the previous year & they have to send their deposits within 7 days to secure the room.

My railcard saves me a fortune every year & my bus pass gets me around nicely, I'd be lost without those. 2 trips to Leicester last week saved £6-90 on the train fares trip to Headingley usually I save around £11 on the trip, it all adds up. The bus stop to Headingley is directly outside the station.

We also use Premier Inns or Hiltons & occasionally will splash out on such as www.lumleycastle.com but that's only for a night.
Winner of the Europa League