Angus Kinnear exclusive interview

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Angus Kinnear exclusive interview

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Dear forummers, last week we invited questions to ask Angus in a postal interview. His answers are below. It's something of a privilege for the MD of our football club to take the time out to respond to us in this manner, especially in such trying times for everyone. This is a great demonstration of how far our club has progressed in recent years and a fine example of the quality and integrity of personnel in the 'business' side of LUFC.

Here goes...

"Angus, thanks very much for agreeing to this ‘postal’ interview, we really appreciate it. We realise that some questions are difficult/nigh on impossible to answer but we’d be grateful for any info you can enlighten us with.

Q1 - on contracts - Have there been any discussions with Marcelo and his team regarding any extension to their contracts, or is this dependent on promotion to the EPL? Any info on the likelihood of signing the Loan players on permanent deals if we go up? Any info on incomings/outgoings and general transfer policy if/when we do go up? Any plans to retain Pablo beyond a playing capacity?

As with the same point last season - Marcelo’s focus is on the final matches. At the end of the season we will sit down and discuss the way forward. I know Marcelo loves being at Leeds.

Some of our loan deals have clauses with view to permanent moves, others don’t but that doesn't mean there won’t be discussions.

Q2 - Has Covid-19 caused any issues or complications with contracts (players and management/coaching)?

It’s a unique situation which has created some challenges for all clubs. However, at the moment and with clubs acting within the spirit of the agreements, they are eminently manageable.

Q3 - on the kit - Is the rumour right that a new kit for next season will be by Adidas? And can we have first kit all-white, second kit all-yellow and third kit all-blue, with no pinks or reds involved in any aspect?! (We know that the dark grey & pink strip is probably the best selling Leeds kit ever, but we feel a reminder of the 1970s designs would prove even more popular!)

The kits this year have been the most successful ever. We have to create a range of designs that appeal to all supports with a wide range of tastes, so there is always likely to be a mix of tradition and innovation.

Q4 - museum - Ever since the dark days of Ken Bates’ tenure there’s been talk of a LUFC Museum at Elland Road - will we ever get one and can you share any details if so, please?

The success of the Trust's pop up centenary museum is something we supported and want to create on a permanent basis. However club museums require significant investments and have incredibly long payback periods. So whilst it is part of the master plan it is competing with bigger priorities.

Q5 - on the stadium - If/when we’re promoted, what mandatory changes to the stadium are required to conform to EPL standards? Are there any plans for increasing the capacity of Elland Road? Are you using an empty Elland Road as a chance to carry out any changes to the stadium?

The PL demand upgrades in a number of areas. The most significant are floodlight specifications and media facilities. The plans for these are in place but we can only commence them once promotion is secured. I suspect due to the short window between the end of this season and the start of next we would be given some dispensation around the timings of these upgrades.

Due to the lockdown and the fact we don’t know which league we will be playing in we haven’t been able to commence these plans over the last three months.

Q5A - You oversaw the move from Upton Park to the Olympic Stadium. If there are any further developments at Elland Road to increase capacity, now you have the experience of building a stadium, what would your recommendations be? Suggestions from fans have included safe standing sections, another tier on the West Stand to mirror the East Stand, the removal of the corporate boxes from the South Stand.

Elland Road is fortunate to have space for development on three sides. The biggest opportunity is to increase capacity and hospitality facilities in a new West Stand. I appreciate hospitality seats are not like by much of the fan base but they are important in delivering revenue that allows the general admission tickets to be affordable. We are in planning at the moment to improve the land around Elland Road with the Park Life community sports hub. This is an £8million scheme which will give Beeston the best community football facilities in the country and be available for our academy to create a talent development pathway for inner city youth.

Q5B - I personally hope this is a solid ‘No’ - do you ever see LU moving location from Elland Road?

The land available around Elland Road and its proximity to the town centre make it hard to envisage a stadium move. From a personal perspective I love Elland Road.

Q6 - The Pavilion - it was a great facility to have a drink with fellow fans before games, our regular group of season ticket holders would meet there literally before every game. However, as more of the Pavilion was given over to corporate guests, leaving ‘regular’ fans crammed into one half of the building, we now go elsewhere. What are the future plans for the Pavilion, and is it likely that the whole facility would be handed over to corporate guests should we be promoted to increase revenue for the club?

No decision has been made but it is something that will be considered. We know that the Pavilion is enjoyed by supporters but there is a huge opportunity cost in not maximising its revenue on a match day. Ultimately every penny of incremental commercial revenue goes to strengthen the team so we need to create a balance between supporter experience and winning matches (ultimately we are aligned with supporters on this one!)

Q7 - Mundane question but are you or any of the staff or players aware of LUFC Talk? Do any players or staff monitor what's being said in forums and on social media?

Our communications team monitor all channels. We advise the players to use it sparingly as it is not always the most positive environment. If I am ever feeling too self confident I have a look to take me down a peg or two.

Q8 - on season tickets - Will there be any season tickets available to new applicants if there are surplus tickets available from those who have not renewed?

Only a handful of tickets were not renewed so it’s unlikely any will be made available. If we are in the championship a small number may be available.

8A - on Away ST’s - Are the club intending to put away season tickets on sale and what are the plans for the sale of away tickets on an individual basis next season, will the current system of ‘loyalty games’ be used, or will tickets be available to the larger fan base for every game.

It will depend on the league we are in. We review the policy every season and get plenty of fan input into how it can be optimised. Obviously it’s a very emotive subject but we try to strike a balance between rewarding loyalty and allowing as many supporters as possible to experience supporting the team away from home at least once. It’s an unenviable task because the demand for tickets outstrips the allocations many times over.

Q9 - on previous employers - You have worked at two high profile clubs in Arsenal and West Ham, how does Leeds United compare and how have you personally found working at Leeds United?

I have been fortunate to work for two great clubs before I came to Leeds and I learnt a lot from those experiences. But I love Leeds United. For a football fan to have the chance to get this club back to where it belongs is an irresistible challenge. Everyday I arrive at the office i feel privileged to set foot inside the ground and work with a loyal and dedicated team and for the best supporters in the country.

Q10 - Marcelo Bielsa - What's he really like? What's he brought to the club? Do you talk to him on a daily basis? Personal one for me - was the club's pre- season trip to Australia a success? (It was for the Aussie based fans) & can you make sure we don't have to wait another 17 years for the next one!

Marcelo is unique. He combines a being a great manager with being a superb coach . This is a rarity. He has had a hugely positive impact on the culture of the club. Victor Andrea and I speak to him regularly. The conversations are lively but we are all united in getting Leeds back to where they belong.

Australia was a great success both commercially and in terms of technical preparation. The team loved the experience and i think it made everyone realise just how big this club is. The response from the expat fans and those who travelled was a different class. We expect these tours to be a regular part of preseason although locations will vary.

Q11 - What are the top three things you would have done differently at LUFC knowing what you know now? Where do you see LUFC in three years' time and can you let us in on any strategies you have in mind to help get us there?

As an management/ownership team we have learnt a lot and built some strong foundations in a short amount of time. We have made mistakes but over the three years I think the majority of supporters have realised that our actions have always been well intended. However breaking the internet with the crest redesign probably deserves its own mention!

Q12 - Sponsorship - can we avoid being sponsored by gambling companies?

I appreciate supporters concerns about the presence of gambling branding in football but their industries invests a huge amount back into the game and they have made large strides in recent years to encourage responsible gambling.

Q13 - on ownership - The following question is based on the common assumption (which some on this forum do not necessarily agree with) that Andrea Radrizzani is keen on selling his controlling interest of the club... In the light of what's happening at Newcastle United, could you tell us how the Leeds board feels about investment and any potential sale of the club in terms of who would actually buy us? This question is specifically concerning ‘controversial’ countries’ regimes."

Andrea Is a passionate and committed owner but has always said he will always welcome investment that can make Leeds United stronger. This does not just mean having the available funds but also the right ambition and principles for Leeds United. This was why our first equity partner was the 49ers.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Angus Kinnear exclusive interview

Post by johnh »

Thanks ANS. A few answers were as expected and a few non-committal, but well worth the effort. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

johnh wrote:Thanks ANS. A few answers were as expected and a few non-committal, but well worth the effort. :thumbup:
Ha, yes John cheers, you're right. The answers are a bit like a politician's in a way, though unlike with most politicians these days I personally BELIEVE him and we're all fans on the same side too :D
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

A good read and he’s answered well in my opinion. Thanks for taking the time Mr Kinnear.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Indeed, no front page scoops but just by agreeing and following through shows a real sign that those running the club are doing so for the right reasons. Well done Rob and well done AK.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Enjoyed that.

Thanks AK and ANS :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Thanks for that. I think from the answers we can infer any development of the ground will be done in terms of years, which is to be expected, and probably not until we are stable in the prem. We will probably not see development on the stands until after the sports hub is done or well under way.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Nic wrote:Thanks for that. I think from the answers we can infer any development of the ground will be done in terms of years, which is to be expected, and probably not until we are stable in the prem. We will probably not see development on the stands until after the sports hub is done or well under way.
Yes, I think you're right. I must admit I get in a muddle at all that has unofficially been said about ER development etc so it's good to hear it directly from someone who actually knows what they're on about :lol:

Thanks for reading it ;)
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Enjoyed reading these, and thanks to Angus for taking the time to reply. I’ve met him a couple of times at games, and the player of the year awards, he always comes across as a decent bloke who has time for the fans - decent sense of humour too.

From the answers, I find it a bit sad, although I’m not surprised in the slightest, how most things come down to money, the museum, the Pavilion generating cash, more hospitality areas to generate income etc. The way of the world now unfortunately.

I’m delighted that there are no plans to ever move from ER, I love the place and I’m not sure I could transgress to a new stadium. I didn’t know the EPL had certain specifications on floodlights either.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Barlow Boy wrote:Enjoyed reading these, and thanks to Angus for taking the time to reply. I’ve met him a couple of times at games, and the player of the year awards, he always comes across as a decent bloke who has time for the fans - decent sense of humour too.

From the answers, I find it a bit sad, although I’m not surprised in the slightest, how most things come down to money, the museum, the Pavilion generating cash, more hospitality areas to generate income etc. The way of the world now unfortunately.

I’m delighted that there are no plans to ever move from ER, I love the place and I’m not sure I could transgress to a new stadium. I didn’t know the EPL had certain specifications on floodlights either.
Well it won't surprise you BB, and I think I'm right in saying this, that the lighting requirements are all linked to... Sky TV rules. I could be wrong of course... I mean, the floodlights etc are already superb aren't they?

I knew a bit about the museum chances a while back - basically, it was something like this - 'If we have a museum then it has to be the BEST museum, and that costs more than a million to build, never mind maintain'. It was a vague plan to have it in the East Stand and Bates was very keen on the idea but the idea was kyboshed by GFH etc... I personally think it will happen one day but so much in football is in turmoil now thanks to Covid, and it wouldn't surprise me if lots of other LU plans are put back for a lengthy time due to it.