Have You been ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Have You been ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Regarding luggage when we first visited Argentina a lady in our party didn’t get her luggage for 5 days due to bank holidays etc. From that moment on we split our cases so we have his & hers in both.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I see Niagra Falls gets a mention. At the time this was so far ahead on my bucket list & boy was I not disappointed it was truly awesome. Don’t think we were prepared for the experience or the noise. If there’s anyone that’s not done this, do. We had lunch in a hotel overlooking the falls & it was surprisingly the best buffet lunch we’ve ever had. You grow accustomed to getting ripped off at these touriststy places but this was the exception. I can remember a plate of exceptional food, a chilled bottle of Sauvignon & views from our elevated table to die for. Life doesn’t get much better.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I see Niagra Falls gets a mention. At the time this was so far ahead on my bucket list & boy was I not disappointed it was truly awesome. Don’t think we were prepared for the experience or the noise. If there’s anyone that’s not done this, do. We had lunch in a hotel overlooking the falls & it was surprisingly the best buffet lunch we’ve ever had. You grow accustomed to getting ripped off at these touriststy places but this was the exception. I can remember a plate of exceptional food, a chilled bottle of Sauvignon & views from our elevated table to die for. Life doesn’t get much better.
Our Day trip from Toronto to Niagara Falls included the lunch at the hotel overlooking the falls, fantastic view. Then on the "Maid of the Mist" to sail into the Falls and a bit of a soaking, awesome experience :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

A couple on the next list that are out of bounds nowadays

71. Venice - No
72. Belgrade - No but on my to do list
73. Granada (Spain) - Yes been a couple of times and of course visited the Alhambra Palace
74. Fez (Morocco) - Think that is the 3rd city in Morocco on this list, maybe somewhere to consider ?
75. Antananarivo (Madagascar) - Seriously hadn't heard of it (Antananarivo no Madagascar) going to look it up right now.
76.Pyongyang (North Korea) - Off the Radar until change of leader
77. Kabul - Off the radar completely
78. Beirut - Apparently was the resort of the rich and famous before becoming a war zone, now on the way back to former glories apparently.
79. Sofia - High on my to do list
80. Budapest - Yes been twice so far and would go as far as to say one of my favourite European Cities, actually my No1.

So 2/10 on this list for me.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Some More -
71. Venice
72. Belgrade
73. Granada (Spain)
Stayed here whilst taking in the Alhambra Palace which we visited over 2 days to do the place justice. Found a lovely seafood restaurant near to our hotel which we ate in both nights. Sorry Granada always reminds of the TV company. Nice city if anyone is thinking of visiting.
74. Fez (Morocco)
75. Antananarivo (Madagascar)
76.Pyongyang (North Korea)
77. Kabul
78. Beirut
79. Sofia
The cathedral is one of the best in Europe. We stayed at the recently opened Hilton Hotel which was one of the best hotels we’ve ever stayed in. A great place to eat or drink is Vitosha Boulevard very modern & reasonably cheap for us. We had a couple of days at Sunny Beach & arranged to meet up with friends who were staying in a different hotel to have a meal. We arrived at the security gates to be told unless we were residents we weren’t allowed on the complex.
80. Budapest

Running total 32/80
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Budapest as I said is my fav European City its a cracking place but last time we were there 3 years ago we got lucky and they had some World Championships for Single Engine aircraft who set times racing along the Danube, zigzagging between giant traffic cone floating on the river and bobbing under bridges, amazing to watch.

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Venice has never appealed to me especially after people told me there’s loads of mosquitoes on the water. Nearest I’ve been is Pisa which is great place to visit until you go into a bar or restaurant where the service is none existent I suppose you’re a captive audience. Read trip advisor reports from there they’ve unbelievable. We walked to the football ground to look around & went into a small cafe the staff couldn’t have been any different to what we had seen in the main square. Great place to visit but two hours is long enough. We did however fall in love with the Tuscany countryside.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Short and (not so) sweet.
Venice
Arrived at the train station, walked to the Grand Canal. It absolutely stank. Nipped in to the tourist information place, asked how to get to the campsite and was told that there wasn't one. I actually had the "Europe By Train" guide book open at the page that had the address of the campsite. The woman behind the counter point-blank refused to accept there was such a place and told me to book in to a hotel.
I settled down on the overnight train to Rome instead.

Belgrade
Can't really remember visiting there but I'm sure I did during the Europe trip as I did a fair bit of Yugoslavia as was.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

We did think about a trip to Madagascar but we read lots of reports & food poisoning is very common with tourists. We wanted to see the lemurs this was the reason for wanting to go. I once had a lady work for me who was Lebanese & from Beirut where her husband had been well wealthy but they fled to England with nothing but their lives. A very unhappy lady as she had fallen so far becoming a cleaner. Always think November 5th round here resembles Beirut...
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:Short and (not so) sweet.
Venice
Arrived at the train station, walked to the Grand Canal. It absolutely stank.
Many years ago when I was a child I remember one of my Aunties was obsessed with wanting to go to Venice and she eventually persuaded her husband to take her.
It stank was exactly what she said when she returned, sort of killed my interest of ever visiting although I'm sure it will be much better now.