Have you been "2" ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Have you been "2" ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Next ten -

22. Los Angeles
Enjoyed our time in LA it was really good seeing Rodeo Drive & the Hollywood sign. We walked the walk on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame. It was here we ate for the first time at Bubba Gump’s.

26. Bucharest
We had a couple of nights here, for a capital city we were surprised at how cheap it was. Again did a city tour & after we walked in a park which was beautiful. On this trip we had a couple of nights touring in the Carpathian Mountains, which is Dracula country.

27. Tallin
Been twice & still don’t get what people rave about.

28. Montevideo
Arrived here after our trip to Antarctica. Nice city, good to be in hot sunshine again.

30. Port of Spain
Did a dual holiday taking in both Trinidad & Tobago absolutely loved the latter staying at a hotel called Blue Waters the main reason for the visit was so I could go to Scarborough :D I always describe Trinidad as Middlesbrough with sunshine. At the airport they let you check in & if you so required go & use the outside bar. There was a KFC very near so that was a meal sorted.

Running total 12/30
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just going back to Tobago, there was an English family there, he was a rag & bone man. Anyway one morning as I was passing reception he was complaining loudly how the noise of the waves had woken him up in the night :roll: . We met a Trinidadian couple at the hotel & were invited to a beach party ( Ed & Janet ) we were the only white people at the party but boy we had a fantastic night. I was Liming with my Homies :lol:

My spot for my morning coffee, not too shabby.

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Actually four of the next 10 for me -

San Marino - Went on a big family holiday to Italy (by train) with numerous Aunties, Uncles and cousins when I was 13 years old. Stayed just outside Rimini and we all did a day trip over the border to san Marino. Remember a scary bus ride along winding mountain roads up to San Marino which sat at the top. Probably done worse road journeys but was first time abroad and most of us hadn't seen real mountains at that stage.
Some Leeds fans may remember the date 3rd June 1971 ;)

Los Angeles - Been twice both times with a tour group. First was doing the Golden West (SF to Vegas via LA) and 2nd to finish Route 66 at Santa Monica Pier.
Not my favourite city because I can never seem to get my bearings unlike most other US cities I've been to. Doesn't seem to have a centre to me just lots of places joined together, i know everywhere is a bit like that but to me LA is like a jigsaw with the pieces hammered in the wrong places.
Highlight though is Universal Studios a good days fun for everyone.

Montevideo -
Wine & Food :thumbup:
Interesting place not really touristy but would definitely go back.

Annecy - Stayed there one Christmas i spent in the French Alps truly beautiful part of the world.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I forgot about Universal Studios we visited as part of the trip, if I’m honest we wouldn’t have gone independently but we throughly enjoyed it. Did a couple of rides & went to the cinema which was fun. Wish we’d had the grandkids with us they would have loved it. Just thought we did the Simpsons ride which frightened me to death, felt stupid after when I was you were never more than 4’ off the ground :lol:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Should have mentioned last time although I've not been to Sarajevo I have actually been to Bosnia. Visited Mostar on a trip over the border from Croatia, interesting mix of building a good few new builds since the war mixed in with some that were just rubble and others with obvious signs of the devastation they faced.
I assumed the new builds where families starting again on the family plot where those not built belonged to families that didn't return.

And the new list -
Next 10-
31. Seattle - Been a couple of times and like it, its a bit like San Francisco with a few steep hills when walking about, certainly gives the legs a work out. Another ticked off my tall structure list of course is the Space Needle but we also went up another tallish building which was a bit of a museum also. Apparently Seattle's first skyscraper.

35. Sienna - Visited it when in Tuscany, preffered it to Florence to be honest, beautiful place but expensive :D

39. Gibraltar - What is not to love about the Barbary Apes

40. Ljubljana - Spent a day there on route from Lake Bled to the Slovenian coast, seemed very nice.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Next 10-

37. Ushuaia (Argentina)
Visited during our cruise to Antarctica. The most southern city in the world. Highlighted in the recent Race Across the World. Sadly we didn’t do a trip out but wandered the city which was pleasant enough.

38. Bergen
Visited on yet another cruise which was destined for the fjords which were amazing. I remember all the houses were a real splash of colour. We walked the wharf which was really pleasant. Didn’t buy a beer as you’d need to take out a mortgage.

39. Gibraltar
Yep you’ve guessed another cruise. We did the rock with the apes then made our way to the town, bought a beer & enjoyed people watching. I remember the walk from the ship was a nightmare as the road consisted of large pebbles & at least 2 people fell over.

Running total 15/40

The thing about cruising it does take you to a lot of places. I read yesterday that cruise ships aren’t in operation due to Corvid19 which will stop a lot of people doing something they love.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Following the interesting posts on the previous thread containing supposedly the Worlds Top 100 cities.

Thought we can ask members on the next 100 ?

If you've been how do you rate them ?
Tell us your stories ?
Are they worthy of been in the top 100 ?

Next 10-
31. Seattle
32. Monaco

Worked there for 18 months in the early 90's. Somerset Maugham famously described it as 'a sunny place for shady people', and certainly there were some dubious goings-on. For example an expensive looking shop would open with, say, top of the line clothes and six months later it would close, not having had too many customers, so the speculation was that it was a front for laundering money, probably mafia.

My son, who was five, once got into a kerfuffle at the local park with a boy of similar age and when the bodygaurds appeared from nowhere we knew Adam had crossed a member of the Monegasque royal family.

Being able to go to the beach after school was a great joy for my young children. During summer we'd all go at the weekend, but every Monday back in the office was like the first day back after being on holiday.

To this day I love that part of the world with its soft air and the Alps meeting the Mediterranean, If you do go try to get up to Mont des Mules for a spectacular view of the principality and the coastline. Monaco, rightly, has a reputation for high prices, but venture into neighbouring Beausoleil in France - where we lived - and prices are a lot more moderate.

33. Panama City
34. Heidelberg

Multiple times on business when visiting the John Deere tractor plant in Mannheim.

Beautiful setting on the Neckar with a well-preserved and picturesque town centre. Well worth making a trip up to the castle for magnificent views of the city and the river valley.

35. Sienna
36. Jaipur (India)
37. Ushuaia (Argentina)
38. Bergen
39. Gibraltar
40. Ljubljana
Last edited by mapperleywhite on 13 Jul 2020, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Next 10-

37. Ushuaia (Argentina)
Visited during our cruise to Antarctica. The most southern city in the world. Highlighted in the recent Race Across the World. Sadly we didn’t do a trip out but wandered the city which was pleasant enough.

Something stunning about a city/town view with mountains behind.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Going back to Los Angeles we did pay a visit to Long Beach it was supposed to be a day of rest but we took up the option of an extra trip to see the Queen Mary. This once elegant cruise liner now has slot machines everywhere we had a tour around & there were still a lot of Art Deco features, I’m a bit of a fan of this particular style so it was lovely to see. We toured the engine room where one of fellow coach travellers announced he’d worked in there when he was 17 years old, it brought a tear to his eye, & everybody else’s if I’m honest. We finished in the Deco Bar, well outside on the deck drinking margaritas.
Back on land we walked a short distance to a fish restaurant where we had a table for 17 of us from the coach, it was an impromptu thing to do but as always it was a trip highlight.

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Going back to Los Angeles we did pay a visit to Long Beach it was supposed to be a day of rest but we took up the option of an extra trip to see the Queen Mary. This once elegant cruise liner now has slot machines everywhere we had a tour around & there were still a lot of Art Deco features, I’m a bit of a fan of this particular style so it was lovely to see. We toured the engine room where one of fellow coach travellers announced he’d worked in there when he was 17 years old, it brought a tear to his eye, & everybody else’s if I’m honest. We finished in the Deco Bar, well outside on the deck drinking margaritas.
Back on land we walked a short distance to a fish restaurant where we had a table for 17 of us from the coach, it was an impromptu thing to do but as always it was a trip highlight.

We went to Long Beach as part of the Golden West tour but only had half a day there and I choose a walk around the area rather than do the Queen Mary tour.
When were you there NW ?
Was late June 2010 for me.