Have you been "2" ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Have you been "2" ?

Post by Selby White »

Following the interesting posts on the previous thread containing supposedly the Worlds Top 100 cities.

Thought we can ask members on the next 100 ?

If you've been how do you rate them ?
Tell us your stories ?
Are they worthy of been in the top 100 ?

Here we go -
1.Andorra La Villa
2. Lille
3. Stockholm
4. Perth (Aus)
5. Zanzibar (Tanzania)
6. Cork
7. Valparaiso (Chile)
8. Quebec City
9. Memphis (USA)
10. Malacca City (Malaysia)
11. Brussels
12. Tel Aviv
13. Seville
14. Melbourne
15. Hanoi
16. Valletta
17. Nairobi
18. Belfast
19. Kingston (Jamaica)
20. Colonia del Sacramento (Uruguay)
21. Sarajavo
22. Los Angeles
23. Kyoto (Japan)
24. Phnom Penh
25. San Marino
26. Bucharest
27. Tallin
28. Montevideo
29. Annecy
30. Port of Spain
31. Seattle
32. Monaco
33. Panama City
34. Heidelberg
35. Sienna
36. Jaipur (India)
37. Ushuaia (Argentina)
38. Bergen
39. Gibraltar
40. Ljubljana
41. Hiroshima
42. Vilnius (Lithuania)
43. Luxemburg City
44. Boston
45. Bristol
46. Bukhara (Uzbekistan)
47. Dar Es Salam (Tanzania)
48. Hobart (Australia)
49. Cartagena (Colombia)
50. Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
51. Glasgow
52. Cairns
53. Calgary
54. Malaga
55. Skopje (Macedonia)
56. Male (Maldives)
57. Caracas
58. Xian
59. San Jose (Costa Rica)
60. Salt Lake City
61. Nice
62. Accra (Ghana)
63. St Louis
64. Colombo (Sri Lanka)
65. Brisbane
66. Nassau (Bahamas)
67. Lausanne (Switzerland)
68. Bath
69. Funchal (Madeira)
70. Cagliari
71. Canberra
72. Ottawa
73. Philadelphia
74. Kotor (Montenegro)
75. Brighton
76. Graz
77. Nicosia
78. Tirana
79. Cancun (Mexico)
80. Siem Reap (Cambodia)

Next 10.
81. Milan
82. Pretoria
83. Honolulu
84. Tunis
85. Bratislava
86. Riga
87. Palma (Mallorca)
88. Adelaide
89. Stirling
90. Oxford

And the last 10.
91. Vancouver
92. Galway
93. Durham
94. Palermo
95. Petra (Jordan)
96. Chengdu (China)
97. Nashville
98. Maputo (Mozambique)
99. Quito
100. Bordeaux
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Have you been "2" ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

3. Stockholm
Visited the Vasa museum which is a must do. Did a city tour taking in the Royal Palace & city hall. However the highlight was leaving the port & sailing the amazing archipelago. Every manner of house could be seen on every island. For this reason alone Stockholm should be one of the top cities.

6. Cork
Went with a couple of friends & the first thing you see in departures is a statue to Jackie Charlton. The city is vibrant & cosmopolitan more than we expected. However we were there the night of The Eurovision Song Contest we didn’t realise how seriously they took it.

8. Quebec City
Was here a couple of days during our Toronto to DC trip. A visit to the old town was fun & was a walk along the banks of the St Lawrence river. Over the two days we made Petit-Champlain our place to eat & drink so many nice bars & restaurants. There’s also a magnificent cathedral in the heart of the city.

Running total 3/10

1.Andorra La Villa
We were only a few miles away from Andorra on our tour of Spain we asked our guide if we could visit & the jobsworth said it wasn’t part of the itinerary. Needless to say their tips weren’t what they could have been.

2. Lille
No real desire

4. Perth (Aus)
Would love to visit Oz again but it would be a journey of several stops.

5. Zanzibar (Tanzania)
Nothing really there I want to see have done 3 safaris not fussed to do another.

7. Valparaiso (Chile)
The country is high on my bucket list but whether it would be here I’m not sure.

9. Memphis (USA)
There are other cities in the USA I’d rather visit

Loved Malaysia see previous post.
Winner of the Europa League
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

NottinghamWhite wrote:...6. Cork...we were there the night of The Eurovision Song Contest we didn’t realise how seriously they took it...
Used to NW, that particular buzz has long passed.

What year was that? The Eurovision was held in Cork, way back in 1993. Didn't realise how long ago that was until I Googled it.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

kk_white wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:...6. Cork...we were there the night of The Eurovision Song Contest we didn’t realise how seriously they took it...
Used to NW, that particular buzz has long passed.

What year was that? The Eurovision was held in Cork, way back in 1993. Didn't realise how long ago that was until I Googled it.
Visited about 10-12 years ago can’t remember exactly. Remember this is a man who can’t remember what he’s had for breakfast most days :lol:
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

1. Have visited Andorra La Vella several times, beautiful place and a lovely day out.

2. Been once. Set off from Antrim at 4am on a February morning in a transit van, was delivering a tender to the Irish Air Ambulance service. Last minute decision on the bosses part to put in the tender. Had to have the tender in by 12pm. Got 1st puncture just outside Lisburn. Sleet falling of course,cold and miserable after just half an hour I eventually got it changed after an hour fighting with wheel nuts. Headed on got second puncture at Naas just before 8am and crawled half a mile to a tyre centre and had to wait until 9 to get 2 new tyres and one replaced, the guys in the tyre centre were brilliant. Eventually set off again at 9.30. Got the tender handed in at 11.50 and got in the van and drove back home. Cork Quayside looked nice.

We didn't get the tender !!!!
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Following the interesting posts on the previous thread containing supposedly the Worlds Top 100 cities.

Thought we can ask members on the next 100 ?

If you've been how do you rate them ?
Tell us your stories ?
Are they worthy of been in the top 100 ?

Here we go -
1.Andorra La Villa
2. Lille

Not sure if this counts :lol: but met my French lady friend at the train station once - she'd travelled from Lyon. We were driving to Paris.

3. Stockholm

Been a number of times on business and once on holiday (in a combined trip with Helsnki). Beautifully elegant city set on the water. Can be mighty expensive, especially if you like a drink. The only place I've ever been chatted up by a girl!

4. Perth (Aus)
5. Zanzibar (Tanzania)
6. Cork

Just the once when I went to stay with friends way out on the west coast (Ballydehob). The taxi driver proudly pointed out the independent Cork Republic flag on the town hall. Saw the St Patrick's day celebrations there.

7. Valparaiso (Chile)
8. Quebec City
9. Memphis (USA)

Another dubious one....flew in, went to a meeting for a couple of hours, flew out again.

Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just the 3 for me on this list -

Valparaiso - Known as "Little San Francisco" by sailors and also "The Jewel of the Pacific" its got to be good.
We did a day tour with a local tour company from Santiago and pleased we did, its a major port with some cracking seafood restaurants and plenty of history.
But the highlight was been dropped off at the top of the hill and try walk back to the port through the labyrinth of streets and some very steep hills. Fortunately we had a guide who knew where he was going and after a short walking tour took us to one of the many funicular railways that the locals use to get about (for around 10pence took us back down to the main square).
The fascinating thing was all the graffiti up on the hills, its openly encouraged and they are proud of the title "World Graffiti capital".
Well worth a day trip if anyone visits Santiago, it can be done on public transport but would recommend a organised tour.

Memphis - Not a great city but has some great attractions, in fact the whole city is very rundown IMHO. I've been twice though and just love Beale Street, its not big but if you get chance spend at least one night there (it bleeds music). Every building virtually has live music playing but don't forget the local rule "You can't leave until the sun comes up".
As for things to do in the day the National Civil rights museum is a must, its situated in the old Lorraine Hotel where Martin Luther King was shot.
Not big into Elvis but decided to visit Graceland on my 2nd trip, was surprised really enjoyed and you can spend a good half day there no problem.
Another must do attraction is Sun studios, its small but so much music history in a small place.

Quebec City - Only did a day trip when we were staying in Montreal, wish we'd had a couple of days there its a lovely place.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Dakar - Senegal (French West Africa when I was there). Was very surprised as all the streets in the city centre were wide, tree lined, boulevards. Only spent an afternoon there so didn't see much. Looked promising though.

Calcutta - don't think its called that now. Worst place in the world I ever went to. To be fair, it was 1955.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

2. Lille
The part of France I know best thanks to the brother of my French ex living there for many years.
It's twinned with Leeds (both industrial northern cities, beginning with "L" and with 5 letters too).
It's got lots of cobbled streets and the city centre is really interesting, with loads of winding streets, boulevard cafés and a magnificent square in the middle of it all. Some cracking shopping to be done here (with a huge FNAC) but if you're into history it's pretty cool too, with a citadel situated in a massive park about ten minutes walk from the CBD which also has a zoo next to it. Lots of canals and rivers running through what is a very green city. Dead easy to get to - it's not far from the ferry routes on the coast about 40 minutes north and has its own Eurostar station - and is also really handy for Brussels, which is about an hour or so away by car.
I'd really recommend it if you fancy somewhere different in France rather than Paris or the resorts in the south.

6. Cork
Been there once - my sis has some friends who live there.
Did the Blarney thing and had a mooch around the castle but not there long enough for much else.
Great people, very friendly.

9. Memphis (USA)
Now we're talking.
The best night out on the planet, if you're into blues. Actually, walk down the street in the day and there'll be two or three live bands playing in bars and cafés on Beale Street. It's an authentic southern city with a grandiose but slightly run-down centre, a tram system, leafy avenues and the famous delta riverfront area. We hired a car and drove around and ended up in some pretty low rent kind of suburbs with stoops in front of the houses and it all looked like album shots for compilation albums.
Obviously, the music IS the city. BB King's club is my favourite hangout - the food is ridiculously good and cheap - but there's loads of great places to go. Sun Studios is in town, or you can drive out to Graceland. We stayed in the Elvis Hotel right opposite and it had a guitar-shaped pool. One night I ended up getting hammered in a karaoke bar a few blocks down the street with a blonde woman and her Mexican boyfriend. My mates called it a night because they'd heard me sing plenty of times so I sat at the bar, drinking and chatting with the couple. Apart from the bartender, we were the only non-black people in the building but I got a great reception on stage after I told them I was English. I didn't dare sing Elvis so stuck to Brit-stuff instead :D

Watch this space :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:1. Have visited Andorra La Vella several times, beautiful place and a lovely day out.
Before lockdown we were looking at a couple of self catering apartments in the Pyrenees and was planning to visit Andorra, shame but one still on the bucket list.