Have you been "2" ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Have you been "2" ?

Post by Selby White »

Next 10.

87. Palma - Lovely City on a lovely island been 3 times and suspect we'll be back. Tend not to stay in Palma but different areas of Mallorca but always have one day in the City.

89. Stirling - Nice small city with a very impressive castle, have actually been twice.

90. Oxford - Been a couple of times and its an impressive place to just walk around looking at the buildings.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Last 10 -

92. Galway - We visited on our tour of Ireland, stayed a week in county Galway in a cottage but only visited the actual city once and it looked nice even in the hurricane we were sheltering from. Of course not forgetting the highlight of meeting up with another forum member KK White :thumbup:

93. Durham - Only actually been once and that was fairly recently, like many UK tourists cities its really nice. It was VE day when we were there and it was great watching all the parades

96. Chengdu - The place to visit if you want t see Pandas which of course is the highlight but the city itself is worth a visit.

97. Nashville - Although not a massive country music fan its worth a visit, not a big city but music everywhere. I stayed in a hotel close to the music studios and a lot of musicians came in the bar late on, didn't know any of them but lots of free entertainment and were real friendly.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Next 10.
87. Palma (Mallorca)
Spent a Christmas here lovely place.

89. Stirling
On our way to the Highlands we stopped off here to pay homage to King Billy.

90. Oxford
Been a couple of times with Leeds & had a weekend there. Nice city with wonderful buildings.

Running total 32/90
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

And the last 10.
92. Galway
Just the once for a couple of hours.

93. Durham
Yes worked nearby at Plasworth for a couple of weeks. Went into Durham for a couple of meals. Surprisingly I’ve yet to visit the cricket ground that was on this years agenda.

98. Maputo (Mozambique)
Sue used to work for SAGA & we used to get bargain deals on holidays they wanted to test drive. Spent a week here in a lovely colonial hotel. We had a day trip to Swaziland which was enjoyable.

99. Quito
We stayed a night here & across from our hotel there was a gun fight between a local gang & police we didn’t hang about to see what happened.

Running total 36/100 exactly the same as the first hundred :lol:
Running
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote: Next 10.
81. Milan

Multiple visits both private and business. In a typical piece of Italian irony one of the world's fashion cities is quite ugly with a hodge-podge of mis-matched buildings and a road system with no logic to it. The Duomo and La Scala are lovely buildings though and the area in the centre is enjoyable and quite classy.

82. Pretoria
83. Honolulu

Flew in to Honolulu to attend a conference on the island of Maui. Reminded me of the Canary Islands with some very interesting volcanic features and balmy climate.

84. Tunis
85. Bratislava
86. Riga

Just the once. Thoroughly enjoyable city, the conurbation being home to over half of Latvia's population. Architecturally it has a mixture of beautiful Hanseatic period buildings and Soviet style monstrosities. Managed to get out of the city and see some of the country including Jurmala beach. It was January so probably didn't see it at its best with snow on the ground and quite foggy.

87. Palma (Mallorca)

Been to Mallorca a few times on holiday so inevitably flew through Palma airport. It's all a long time ago - we're talking holidays with parents - but I vaguely recall visiting the city. The mountains in the north of the island are very scenic and the climate is very agreeable.

88. Adelaide
89. Stirling

Recall walking on the ramparts of Stirling castle when I was probably 10 and on holiday with my parents.

90. Oxford

Remember being stood next to David Gower in the Randolph Hotel there. Also had at least one reunion meeting with my school chums in the city.

And the last 10.
91. Vancouver

There's a story from my time at Petro-Canada in Toronto. A couple of guys from the Netherlands were visiting and, with it being Friday, were asked what their plans for the weekend were. They replied that they'd hired a car and were going to drive to Vancouver. The locals were on the floor in stitches given that the distance involved is similar to London-Toronto.

92. Galway
93. Durham

My girlfriend at Uni had a friend doing her degree at Durham whom we went to visit. Remember having lunch with her, the Uni being an impressive series of buildings.

94. Palermo
95. Petra (Jordan)
96. Chengdu (China)
97. Nashville
98. Maputo (Mozambique)
99. Quito
100. Bordeaux

A number of visits as I was in charge of the Ford transmission factory account. My recollection is that city is quite ugly, although the local wine is decent.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

For people who travel, going to recommend a series of books by travel writer Paul Theroux.
He gives accounts of his travels, it's like you being in his shoes. No fancy hotel or restaurant recommendations, focus on local history, cultures, experiences meeting people. Easily manages to get your attention and not loose it.
Recently read 'Kingdom By The sea', 'Dark Star Safari', and 'Last Train to Zona Verde'. All great reads.
You cannot use these books for reference or planning a trip, but a traveler you can closely relate to what he writes, like I said, "Being in his shoes".
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Thanks to SW ( Mick ) for this thread have throughly enjoyed every minute of it. Loads of memories of some fantastic trips we’ve made.