Have you been "2" ?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Have you been "2" ?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

September 2011 went with Titan Travel a very good trip with an excellent driver & even better tour manager. On the coach you move seats on a daily basis so everyone gets a front seat at sometime plus you quickly get to know the other passengers, This group were great fun & the bulk enjoyed a drink leading to some good nights. The next trip we did with them the driver wasn’t as good & tour manager was a *****. He clearly didn’t want to be there, he was a last minute substitute.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just touching on Titan Travel on our last trip from Toronto to DC we had an old coach that had a crack on the windscreen. We saw other companies using brand new coaches, that had air conditioning & free WiFi we felt very much like 2nd class citizens. Luckily the trip was excellent especially as it was in the fall, I’d wanted to visit the area at that time of years for ages & wasn’t disappointed it was stunning.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Have not used Titan travel but done very similar tours with Travelsphere.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:Have not used Titan travel but done very similar tours with Travelsphere.
Thanks it was Travelsphere with the top end coach we saw, couldn’t remember the name. Always said if I wanted that type of holiday again I’d use them.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Some more -

42. Vilnius (Lithuania)
Have only visited Klaipeda in Lithuania which was charming. We had a tour of the local brewery with a group of Americans that had organised the trip through cruise critic. The old town was not at all what we expected.

Imageimage storage

44. Boston
Lovely city had a couple of days there on our east coast trip.

45. Bristol
Worked in Clifton using the Royal Oak as our local. Had a few trips into the city which I enjoyed. Last time I was there Leeds won 3-0 at Rovers.

Running total 17/50
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Brussels
I think I was only here for a few hours, changing trains and stations. The Grand Place was impressive, the Manneken Pis really wasn't.

Melbourne
Fantastic city. Very vibrant ... erm ... trams ... er ... biggest Greek city after Athens or something. To be honest, I can't remember much about my time there which means it must have been good. Right? :thumbup:

Ljubljana
Spent a day here after an overnight train journey through the Julian Alps from Austria. Seemed a nice place, had a so-so pizza there.

Bristol
Capital of the Multiverse. I am here even when I'm not all there.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:Have not used Titan travel but done very similar tours with Travelsphere.
Thanks it was Travelsphere with the top end coach we saw, couldn’t remember the name. Always said if I wanted that type of holiday again I’d use them.
They are owned by a Canadian travel company (sold to them not that long ago) and they seem a decent company.

We are due to go to Italy with them in late September, was originally March but soon as things kicked off and it was cancelled they contacted us to offer either our money back or move our dates at no extra cost. Not only was the September date more expensive anyway (so saved there) we had booked when a very good early offer was on so was silly to take the refund. If it goes ahead we will actually have paid less than half of others on the trip :crazy:

Although not doing it on this upcoming trip they do offer an option of a good discount to make your own way. Find your own flights and transfers, meet the group at the first hotel and leave them at the last. We took this option last year on the San Fran to Seattle tour and it worked out great.
They gave us £750 each off (£1500) which we used to book a earlier flight out and later back plus extra nights in hotels giving us a day extra in both San Fran & Seattle along with nearly £300 over as extra spending money.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Of the recent 10 its 3 for me.

Bristol - Played table tennis there at a couple of venues and also just up the road at Thornbury so know a few Sports Halls well.
Did do one of those Christmas hotel breaks a few years back so got chance to see the sites as a tourist between the eating, drinking & dancing.
Nice place suspect we will be back at some stage in the future.

Boston - Did a city break a good few years back at it is a nice place. Remember taking a boat up the coast to Salem (Witch trials) which is well worth a visit. Stayed in a small hotel near Boston Common (opposite side to the Cheers bar).

Luxemburg City - My claim to fame many years ago. Most of you know I play table tennis but back in the day I did a fair amount of coaching and had the top level qualification. I got invited and assisted at England junior training camps and eventually got selected to coach the team in a tournament in Luxemburg.
There was 18 countries taking part on a league basis over a number of days, we did well finishing 6th (was ranked 11th at the time) so not a bad record at International level.
The rules was that the English association paid our flights but once there the hosts put someone with us and was responsible for entertaining us and providing food and drink. We got taken to various restaurants that were sponsoring the event for meals and were housed in a big mansion just for our group, biggest bedroom i've ever seen.
We had an interpreter as its a country not many speak English (German & French been the main languages) who gave us tours of all the main parts, it really is a nice place.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

48. Hobart (Australia)

Would love to go here, scenically it looks stunning. I’d like to watch a Test match at the Bellerive Ground, maybe one day ;)
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Following the interesting posts on the previous thread containing supposedly the Worlds Top 100 cities.

Thought we can ask members on the next 100 ?

If you've been how do you rate them ?
Tell us your stories ?
Are they worthy of been in the top 100 ?

Some more -
41. Hiroshima
42. Vilnius (Lithuania)
43. Luxemburg City

Been perhaps 3 or 4 times. Spotlessly clean country that manages to combine aspects of all its neighbours.

Luxembourg city is very easy on the eye with interesting architecture and enjoyable open spaces. The food is heavily French influenced and there's some very fine dining to be had throughout the country. It comes at a price of course but Luxembourg's low VAT and duties offset this. Also public transport within the country has recently been made free of charge.

Can recommend trying their wines and fruit schnapps

44. Boston

Just the airport (in the snow)

45. Bristol

Once around 1980. Don't remember much but my son went more recently and raved about the place.

46. Bukhara (Uzbekistan)
47. Dar Es Salam (Tanzania)
48. Hobart (Australia)
49. Cartagena (Colombia)

Went one Easter and it threw it down most of the time we were there. It's a world heritage city and the place from where South America's riches left to go to Spain during the time of the Conquistadors.

We stayed at a small hotel run by an English guy and his Colombian wife. It's a lovely city with very well preserved historical buildings and there's a chapel on top of a hill that provides a fabulous panaroma of the coastline.

Had one of the best meals ever in Colombia at an Argentinian steak house where we ate suckling pig. But there are plenty of good and affordable places to eat in Cartagena.

It's a popular port of call for Caribbean cruise ships.

50. Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....