2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by SiMamu »

bc grinner wrote:Any thoughts on Nicolas Tagliafico? Sounds like Ajax is willing to sell and Inter Milan has the inside track (along with Rodrigo De Paul) but I wonder what the collapse of the Super League is going to have on some of these future Big 12 team deals.
Think he's linked with Man City too.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Napoli are interested in signing Gjanni Alioski (Tuttosport)
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

kk white wrote:Napoli are interested in signing Gjanni Alioski (Tuttosport)
Bit shame that he will leave for free. Been amazing player for us, but 1 year extension should been done at start of season to keep the value and able to sell now.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

saihtam wrote:
Bit shame that he will leave for free. Been amazing player for us, but 1 year extension should been done at start of season to keep the value and able to sell now.
Think he was offered a contract ?
Without thumb screws you can't force a player to sign.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Selby White wrote:
saihtam wrote:
Think he was offered a contract ?
Without thumb screws you can't force a player to sign.
Yep, there's been a contract on the table for a while but he's not taken it. I think it was for more than a year too, but he's obviously either keen on a fresh challenge or after a better deal elsewhere, so fair enough. In many ways its for the best. We all love his passion and workrate, and should be grateful for his part in getting us promoted, but occasional glimpses of brilliance and a lot of running can't hide the fact that he's a liability at this level.

We always knew that the team that came up would need upgrading at some point. Some players have surprised us all in how much they've kicked on (Ayling, maybe Cooper), but as need to be making year on year improvements, and Alioski is one we'd have needed to improve on, contract or not. I'd say the same goes for Klich, Roberts and Costa. At some point also Harrison and ultimately also Bamford.

Tagliafico looks unlikely but would be a great signing. Ryan Kent is also back on the radar apparently - I'm on the fence about whether he's the step up we need.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

Good points. I think he already knew he will have max 1 season until we are able to upgrade his positsion.

Some good info here, specially in comments about potential singing Ozan Tufana

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeedsUnited/co ... _transfer/
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Apparently the rumour mill is saying we are after Nao Lang a 21 year old Dutch winger on the books of Ajax but played on loan for Club brugge this season.
Scored 14 and 7 assists which looks a decent return for a winger. he is right footed but plays mainly on the left.

In 2019 he scored a Hat trick on his senior debut for Ajax, first player for 60 years to achieve that.

Club Brugge have a 6mill buy clause and rumours they could buy and sell for a handy profit.

Normally don't take too much notice of rumours from the regular places but this is in the Daily Telegraph one of the more reliable papers in my view.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/202 ... nd-winger/
whitedancer
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by whitedancer »

We don’t need anymore wingers , we need a striker to challenge bamford who I doubt will score to many next season when the crowds are back, we need an attacking midfielder ( a younger version of Hernandez). Cos at the moment we look pretty ordinary when Phillips and Raphinha are missing.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

whitedancer wrote:We don’t need anymore wingers , we need a striker to challenge bamford who I doubt will score to many next season when the crowds are back, we need an attacking midfielder ( a younger version of Hernandez). Cos at the moment we look pretty ordinary when Phillips and Raphinha are missing.
We definitely do need some more wingers - if Raphinha leaves (as is eminently possible), we've got Harrison (inconsistent), Costa (not good enough and needs to be sold), Poveda (too raw, not particularly effective yet), and exciting but also raw u23s like Summerville). If we're serious about applying the Leicester model, where we try to keep a team together, but have a back up plan if a big offer comes in (e.g. Fofana for Maguire), we need strength in depth. I do agree that it's not as important as elsewhere though.

For me, an LB (Tagliafico), a no.8/10 hybrid (Teun Keupmeiners), a backup for Phillips (ideally with some versatility to play elsewhere), and some competition for Bamford are the priorities. Although if we bring in an 8/10, maybe it'll free Rodrigo up to play further forward and we wouldn't need another striker. In that scenario Gelhardt and Sam Greenwood might be enough. We'll also need another keeper given Casilla will likely go.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

whitedancer wrote:We don’t need anymore wingers , we need a striker to challenge bamford who I doubt will score to many next season when the crowds are back, we need an attacking midfielder ( a younger version of Hernandez). Cos at the moment we look pretty ordinary when Phillips and Raphinha are missing.
First its a rumour but from one of the more respected newspapers so thought it worth providing the link.
This is a transfer rumour thread.

Secondly you say we look ordinary without Phillips and Raphina. Well to me that contradicts your own argument as it suggests we need players (DM & wing) to provide similar to them when they don't play or even play in the same team making us stronger.