2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by SiMamu »

Leonickroberts wrote:
whitedancer wrote:We don’t need anymore wingers , we need a striker to challenge bamford who I doubt will score to many next season when the crowds are back, we need an attacking midfielder ( a younger version of Hernandez). Cos at the moment we look pretty ordinary when Phillips and Raphinha are missing.
We definitely do need some more wingers - if Raphinha leaves (as is eminently possible), we've got Harrison (inconsistent), Costa (not good enough and needs to be sold), Poveda (too raw, not particularly effective yet), and exciting but also raw u23s like Summerville). If we're serious about applying the Leicester model, where we try to keep a team together, but have a back up plan if a big offer comes in (e.g. Fofana for Maguire), we need strength in depth. I do agree that it's not as important as elsewhere though.

For me, an LB (Tagliafico), a no.8/10 hybrid (Teun Keupmeiners), a backup for Phillips (ideally with some versatility to play elsewhere), and some competition for Bamford are the priorities. Although if we bring in an 8/10, maybe it'll free Rodrigo up to play further forward and we wouldn't need another striker. In that scenario Gelhardt and Sam Greenwood might be enough. We'll also need another keeper given Casilla will likely go.
I agree, that we probably need another winger, particularly as I think that one of Raphinha and Costa will leave; preferably the latter. I'd say a goal scoring winger, who can play up front, would be ideal. On top of that, a LB, possibly a Kiko replacement, and a versatile 8. Someone who's a mix between Hernandez and Forshaw. With a CM capable of dictating things, Koch at DM might work better.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Think Lang is the type of player Bielsa wants but still think we will go for Ryan Kent.
Could be a case of one or the other.
Both would improve the team if they replaced fringe players in the squad, got in the team and pushed others to the bench. As others have said we need depth.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Yes please to buying a significantly better winger than our 2nd best. I didn't get to see them live but highlight footage/comments tell me a BIG reason for our sustained successs at 5he highest level was having Lorimer AND Gray. Raphina AND an equivalent would frighten teams like Gray and Lorimer did.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leicester White wrote:Yes please to buying a significantly better winger than our 2nd best. I didn't get to see them live but highlight footage/comments tell me a BIG reason for our sustained successs at 5he highest level was having Lorimer AND Gray. Raphina AND an equivalent would frighten teams like Gray and Lorimer did.
Spot on, having two wingers that can scare opponents usually making them double upon them which in turn creates space for others. Actually reduces the need of a good No10 to create stuff. Don't get me wrong I said "reduces" and not eliminate, add a quality No10 as well and even better.

Any signings need to be better than we have and also fit in to the team ethics, this season team spirit and attitude have been our 12th man.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

Think priority should be LB as that is the weakest spot in our team. Too important position to go cheap and should be done quickly to get into Bielsa tactics. After that hybrid midfielder and a winger could next step(Definitely if Costa leaves). All depends if there happens any player sells that need to be filled.
Really hope that Ozan Tufan rumours are true, he would really fit our team with work-rate and versatility he brings.
https://www.sofascore.com/player/ozan-tufan/251907
ALFOXY
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by ALFOXY »

From the bbc website

Leeds United have emerged as a contender to sign 26-year-old Turkey midfielder Ozan Tufan from Fenerbahce, who has previously been strongly linked with a move to Spain. (Fotomac - in Turkish)

Meanwhile, Leeds are expected to once again send Poland Under-21 midfielder Mateusz Bogusz out on loan next season, with Legia Warsaw among clubs keen to sign the 19-year-old. (WP SportoweFakty - via Sport Witness)
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Very happy with this I’ve always been a huge fan of him. He always gives 110% that’s really all I can ask. Still think he will reach 20 goals this season.
Winner of the Europa League
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Surprised its only a 2 year contract until 2023 and not 3 year.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Polkadot wrote:
Surprised its only a 2 year contract until 2023 and not 3 year.
Similar is happening in other sports - people in the know saying that Covid has implications on long contracts.

Thinking is that where a contract is due for renewal, offer a short one with the agreement that it will be revised if/when things return to normality.

But remember, in financial terms that could be a year or so after 'normality' in society.

Eg, Irelands stand-out professional rugby player Tadgh Furlong has received a 1 year contract - fully expected he will get 3 additional years in 12 months time.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay