Post by NottinghamWhite »

A few more -
11. Flown in a Glider
No

12. Been to a music festival
No

13. Eaten Sushi
Yes but just a couple of times

14. Been a collector of anything (stamps, coins, football programmes, etc)
I have quite a lot of Leeds United memorabilia including programmes

15. Played Backgammon
No

16. Been to a major sporting event in any of the following :-

c) Horse Racing
Been to the Ebor meeting at York several times.
d) Cricket
Several Test matches last one was at Trent Bridge against India
Winner of the Europa League
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Life Experiences ?

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:

A few more -
11. Flown in a Glider

Just the once - the thing that sticks in my mind was the silence once the towing plane left

12. Been to a music festival
13. Eaten Sushi

Mrs MW and I love the stuff!

14. Been a collector of anything (stamps, coins, football programmes, etc)

It was all the rage when I was growing up: stamps, coins (still have both collections), tea cards, bus numbers, Underground train numbers, aircraft registrations (we lived under the flight path for landings at Heathrow) and later on football programmes - still have a bunch of them

15. Played Backgammon
a) Rugby League
b) Rugby Union

Scotland v France at Murrayfield

c) Horse Racing
d) Cricket

Been to Lords and The Oval where I saw Fred Trueman take his 300th test wicket v Australia.

e) Tennis
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

6. Sports car. Drove single seater Formula Ford in a Jonathan Palmer drive day.

(b) Rugby Union. Seen many 5 Nations games at Twickenham (Murrayfield and Paris)

(d) Seen many Test matches at Headingley and Lords)

17. When I did my National Service I was an expert Hitch Hiker. Mainly between Nottingham and Leeds.

19. Does the Orient Express count?
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
17. When I did my National Service I was an expert Hitch Hiker. Mainly between Nottingham and Leeds.
Funnily enough John the only place I've hitch hiked to is Nottingham, first time to see Leeds play at Forest after my car broke down (from a village just outside the City). Actually got a lift on a Milk float but just made KO.
Scrounged a lift back on the York supporters coach as I knew most of the York lads.
A week later hitch hiked from Selby to pick the car up that I had left in the hands of a local garage.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:
Funnily enough John the only place I've hitch hiked to is Nottingham, first time to see Leeds play at Forest after my car broke down (from a village just outside the City). Actually got a lift on a Milk float but just made KO.
Scrounged a lift back on the York supporters coach as I knew most of the York lads.
A week later hitch hiked from Selby to pick the car up that I had left in the hands of a local garage.
Our camp was at Hucknall and the road wasn't a main road, so it was a two or three mile walk to get to the main road to start 'hitching'. One Saturday morning (with a week-end pass) I set off to walk to the main road. I had only gone about 100 yards and a car stopped. The driver asked where I was going and I said 'Leeds', thinking that that would end the discussion. The guy said 'is City Square OK?' The best lift I ever had. Had some good experiences and can't think of any I would class as bad.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Have you ever -
1. Eaten Caviar ? Yes and did absolutely nothing for me.
2. Sang Karaoke ? If I'm out and there's a microphone I'm up ... love a bit of a chant.
3. Done a Bungee Jump ? Nope, and never will
4. Drank a Yard of Ale ? Nope and 30 inches of it would be over my chin if I tried.
5. Flown in a Helicopter ? Many Many times but not as a fun thing.
6. Drove a Classic Sports Car ? Does a MGBGT count, then yes.
7. Line Danced ? Yes but then it probably wasn't technically real line dancing the way I did it.
8. Stood or sat in the Home section at a Leeds away match ? Yes at Derby game many many moons ago.
9. Rode a Tandem ? Nope
10. Been Potholing/caving ? Nope ...like bungie jumping ...never will.
11. Flown in a Glider Nope but would love too
12. Been to a music festival nope, have never felt the need.
13. Eaten Sushi Yes it was ok, I'd eat it again but not a favourite.
14. Been a collector of anything (stamps, coins, football programmes, etc) In my very early teens I collected car registrations ...I know boring but I enjoyed it...there were a lot about :D
15. Played Backgammon. Nope haven't a clue how to
a) Rugby League. Nope silly shaped ball.
b) Rugby Union. See above
c) Horse Racing Yes .. if you count Down Royal
d) Cricket. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
e) Tennis. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A few more
17. Hitch hiked Nope, heard too many horror stories from past employment.
18. Milked a cow (or goat) Yes... should I boast but I was pretty damn good at it.
19. Travelled first class on a train. No. does sleeping on three seats on the night train from Stranraer to London count?
20. Had a Devon Lock moment ?
Been winning at anything thing only to blow it and clutch defeat from the jaws of victory? Way too often.
21. Been on TV Yes the easyjet Airline show Season 10 Episode 12 to be exact .... I was 3 stone lighter then.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Hitch hiked
Yes, and picked up hitch hikers a long time ago. Probably wouldn't do it now.
18. Milked a cow (or goat)
Don't think so
19. Travelled first class on a train
Plenty of times. Perks of working for the industry
Been winning at anything thing only to blow it and clutch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Oh yes.
21. Been on TV
Yes, a few years ago I went to a railway control centre during the filming of the GWR/Network Rail programme whose name I have conveniently forgotten.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Just one more good hitch hiking experience. Middle of winter, snowing, freezing cold. Was on the A1 South of Doncaster. In those days, (1955) the A1 went through the middle of places like Doncaster. No by-passes. If you didn't get a lift which went through Doncaster, then you had to walk through the centre and out the other side before you could get another lift. A bread van stopped for me. Two guys in the front so I had to go in the back. I was stood between the racks which were full of bread, cakes and pies. The guy said he could give me a lift to north of Doncaster which was ideal, save me a long walk. We started off and a voice came from the front. 'Help yourself to a pie'. I swear, it was the best tasting pie I ever had. The two guys in the front probably forgot about this within days, but I still remember it 65 years later as though it was yesterday. It's nice to remember when someone did you a good turn.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

17. Hitch hiked -

Not a chance, not even to the end of my driveway!

18. Milked a cow (or goat) -

No

19. Travelled first class on a train -

not yet but would love to do one of the great journey's of the world and travel first class, maybe a pipe dream. Has to be a steam engine though!

Been winning at anything thing only to blow it and clutch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Have you seen me play pool, usually pot the first 5 balls with ease then fall apart on the black when i should have won with ease!

21. Been on TV

many times at the A league soccer as the camera's pan the crowds but to actually speak on the TV then no
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote: 20. Had a Devon Lock moment ?

Have you seen me play pool, usually pot the first 5 balls with ease then fall apart on the black when i should have won with ease!
I played Pool for many years in the local league and was a decent standard (averaged around 70% in the top division). Anyway managed to get to the doubles final one year and were playing against two county players.
Took it to the deciding frame and had a difficult pot with the rest which if i got had 3 tap ins for the match. Total care on the shot and in it went and in my excitement accidently rearranged the table by dropping the rest, two shots away, they cleared up and our names never made the trophy.
Was about 20 years ago and still embarrassed about it to this day.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.