Greetings from across the pond

Introduce yourself here
Joe The American
Terry Venables's car dealer

Greetings from across the pond

Post by Joe The American »

New football fan here, looking for a team to follow, a solid workingman's team.

Interested to hear the #1 reason I should be a LUFC fan, and the #1 reason I shouldn't. Cheers!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Greetings from across the pond

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Hi Joe

The reason to be a Leeds fan is because we are a one off a very proud group of fans. For 10 years between 1965-1975 we were arguably the best team in Europe. We were labelled Dirty Leeds because we could be a little bit rough. We are the one team that people really dislike. We have our own salute the only football team to have one. Finally if you want to be a Leeds fan you have to hate manchester united, preferably with a passion.
Winner of the Europa League
Joe The American

NottinghamWhite wrote:Hi Joe

The reason to be a Leeds fan is because we are a one off a very proud group of fans. For 10 years between 1965-1975 we were arguably the best team in Europe. We were labelled Dirty Leeds because we could be a little bit rough. We are the one team that people really dislike. We have our own salute the only football team to have one. Finally if you want to be a Leeds fan you have to hate manchester united, preferably with a passion.
Thanks for the welcome, NW.

That descriptor sounds EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I follow an American football team with a similar fanbase. Thank you!
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Hello :wave:

As mentioned above Leeds United are the team everyone dislikes which is something most of us like. We have had several years outside of the Premiership due to financial mismanagement, we even spent 3 years in English footballs third tier but the worldwide fan base remained loyal. Reasons not to follow Leeds there isn’t one if I’m honest.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A useful website is www.ozwhitelufc.net.au it’s an excellent site that covers the clubs history
Winner of the Europa League
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Hello and welcome. Your question is somewhat out of left field.

I have no advice for you on whether you should or should not follow Leeds United. To me becoming a Leeds United fan is like finding your soul mate or partner for life - it just happens. I got bitten in 1969/1970 and the FA Cup final got me well and truly hooked. They were having a good season were Leeds and had more than sparked my interest. Started to look out for their results and then an uncle took me to Molineux where I saw them live for the first time and I was in love. As the season ended, at school ALL my mates were well and truly behind Chelsea in the Final. We played a brutal and fantastic 2 games and should have had it won but we lost in the replay and I shed tears. Since that day, there has never been another club for me. Leeds till I die :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
Joe The American

PhoenixUnited wrote:Hello and welcome. Your question is somewhat out of left field.

I have no advice for you on whether you should or should not follow Leeds United. To me becoming a Leeds United fan is like finding your soul mate or partner for life - it just happens. I got bitten in 1969/1970 and the FA Cup final got me well and truly hooked. They were having a good season were Leeds and had more than sparked my interest. Started to look out for their results and then an uncle took me to Molineux where I saw them live for the first time and I was in love. As the season ended, at school ALL my mates were well and truly behind Chelsea in the Final. We played a brutal and fantastic 2 games and should have had it won but we lost in the replay and I shed tears. Since that day, there has never been another club for me. Leeds till I die :D
As I mentioned, I'm new to football other than the American variety, so I'm basically a clean slate :D
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Joe The American wrote:New football fan here, looking for a team to follow, a solid workingman's team.

Interested to hear the #1 reason I should be a LUFC fan, and the #1 reason I shouldn't. Cheers!
Hi Joe - where are you in the US?

I lived in Houston TX during the 90's and my son is now living in Scotsdale AZ.

Agree with NW's earlier post, with the possible addition that you must recognize Yorkshire as God's county :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Joe The American

mapperleywhite wrote:
Joe The American wrote:New football fan here, looking for a team to follow, a solid workingman's team.

Agree with NW's earlier post, with the possible addition that you must recognize Yorkshire as God's county :lol:
I'm in New Jersey. And I'd have no problem acknowledging Yorkshire as God's country.

At the risk of being jeered off the forum, I'm something of a Samuel Smith's fanboy
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Joe The American wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:

I'm in New Jersey. And I'd have no problem acknowledging Yorkshire as God's country.

At the risk of being jeered off the forum, I'm something of a Samuel Smith's fanboy
Good man Joe :thumbup: Are you able to access our games live over there? My son has a subrsciption for Premiership games at a few $/month that is ridiculously cheap by UK standards.

I worked for a company headquarted in Wall NJ so have sampled the broadwalks of the Jersey shore - very enjoyable! Also, inevitably, Newark airport....

I'm sure we'd enjoy quoffing a Sam Smiths with you, so absolutely no jeering
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....