LUFCTALK Admin

Dangerous cities in Europe

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Dangerous cities in Europe

Nottingham my adopted city in at 32. The top 3 all in England.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I’d rate the ones I didn’t feel safe in.

Naples
St Petersburg
Paris
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Malmo in the top,10 surely can’t be right ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Interesting list and lots there I've not been to but from my experience of those I have been to I wouldn't consider any European City dangerous.
Suspect Europe is the safest continent.

Only one I felt could have been a victim is Lisbon (no 121 on the list) and that was from pickpockets rather than fear of violence.
Of course as a tourist common sense prevails and usually avoid dodgy areas and stick to the main areas, most cities have places best avoided.

Next up for me of the none UK cities is No20.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Wouldn't fancy a weekend in Kiev at the moment.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote: Suspect Europe is the safest continent.
We didn’t but on a cruise visiting Lisbon several people were robbed. You’re right though compared to South America for instance Europe is generally fine. Dodgy cities in South America we’ve visited.

Quito - There was a running gun battle between a street gang & police outside our hotel.

Lima - We read of large gangs of kids known as piranhas who would jump onto you until you were stripped of all your clothes & processions.

Rio - We always kept to the main thoroughfares never deviating there was always a feeling of danger though we were perfectly safe.

São Paulo - Again nothing happened but we were 100% alert all the time.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Bet Belfast was way up there 20 years ago :D

Good to see my capitol and my second city nestling beside each other well down the list :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Davycc wrote:Bet Belfast was way up there 20 years ago :D
:
Think I may have mentioned this before, but I had a couple of clients in Belfast many, many years ago.

I used to fly in from Leeds/Bradford airport in one one of those little propelled planes, come out of the airport, straight in a taxi, visit the client, straight into a taxi back to the airport. A taxi driver once took me down all the roads with the murals on the sides of the houses, quite unsettling but I never felt in any danger.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Only one I felt could have been a victim is Lisbon (no 121 on the list) and that was from pickpockets rather than fear of violence.
Of course as a tourist common sense prevails and usually avoid dodgy areas and stick to the main areas, most cities have places best avoided.
Yep Lisbon. I had a Portuguese girlfriend and we went on the most iconic tram route (I forget the details), she did warn me about pickpockets. I was standing on the rear deck next to the doors. A couple of stops earlier, even though it the was middle of a weekday afternoon, a crowd of people got on and stood in the same part of the tram as me. I held my wallet very tight in my trouser pocket, but even so, at the next stop, this group of people jostled round me leaving the tram. Bizarrely, once outside, one of the group pointed to my wallet which was on the floor. The 40 euros I had in it was still intact. Maybe it wasn't enough for them? :lol:

Don't be put off going to this magnificent city with its fabulous climate, delicious food and moderate prices.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....