Bielsa sacked - have the Club made the right decision?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Were the club right in sacking Marcelo

Yes
21%
No
70%
Undecided
10%

Total votes: 102

Ricardo Da Lepp
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Bielsa sacked have the Club made the right decision

Post by Ricardo Da Lepp »

Whether the club have made the right decision for the here and now or not, this remains an incredibly sad end to what has been one of the most special eras at Leeds United.

That the club has allowed this situation to arise, by not intervening in the Summer and the January transfer windows, is unforgivable.

As for the current situation, is it the right decision?

I refer to a previous answer I gave on the Marcelo Bielsa thread. Why are we in this position? It is primarily because our key players of last season have effectively not played this time around. Many of the other important contributors last season have not been able to perform, in part due to having Covid, in part due to the endless change in the line-up due to the ridiculous injury situation. Yes, we should have bought some more players but even then, the sheer proportion of the first team who have been unavailable is still crippling. This lack of coherence caused by these endless changes is what has undone the glue that held us together so well last season.

So how will changing the manager actually improve the situation?
It won't bring Kalvin or Patrick back any sooner (or Liam Cooper who has - despite regular slatings - been badly missed in the heart of our defence).
It almost certainly won't stop people getting injured.
It won't encourage players to sign for us either. The chance to develop under Marcelo Bielsa was a massive draw for this club. That's gone.
It MIGHT introduce a more pragmatic approach to some games, but how can our unique squad perform under any other system is a moot point. Remember, these players were - for the most part - average Championship level players, who were enabled to play at a vastly higher level. Far higher than they could ever have hoped for.

I fear that the only manager who might have averted disaster has just been lost to us, and with hindsight,the departures of Alioski, Pablo and Berardi at the end of last season was a big mistake. They knew the club, the system and they "got it". They also were leaders and organizers.

All in all, I can't see this being the right decision for the club, either in the short or longer term.

Why do I keep getting the same feeling I did at the end of Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now?
Kurtz is dead.
The horror. The Horror.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

superfox wrote:Absolutely devastated. Let's get a yankee coach who lasted 4 months at his only serious job so far, what can go wrong?
I dont know what i think about Marsch, but you cant say Salzburg was not a real job.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

It's a sad day for football, it's a sad day for Leeds United.

I feel like I've lost a family member.

Marcelo, wherever you end up or go, thank you for bringing the best football seen at Elland Road for years, thank you for making Leeds a club to be proud of. Thank you for taking us back to the Promised land (the EPL).

Whoever comes in has the biggest shoes to ever fill.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

To quote Phil Hay
And it was beautiful
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I'm fuming simple as that, the Club I've supported all my life has treated the most honourable man in football like ****.

We may or may not stay up whether it's the new man or Marcelo, only after 38 games is that question answered.
Whatever the outcome February is wrong IMHO.

I hate my club today.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Gutted. Agree with Nottingham white club investment at the end of last season and in January window was a key factor. Squad was not strengthened and injuries made the situation untenable.

Bielsa had his faults but a great manager and more importantly a great person. In addition, he made Leeds a team to be admired and respected.

Club have gambled by sacking him and while I’m concerned that a new manager can turn it around, I genuinely hope it works.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Henry Winter on Twitter

Staff at TA and ER said to be "heart-broken" that Bielsa's gone. I was at TA last week when he walked in and staff's love for him immense. Difficult decision for Radrizzani/club. Cost of relegation huge. Many #lufc fans saying they'd rather go down with Bielsa, playing his way.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Metro1962 wrote:Can I make a plea to all Leeds fans on here and and emotions are very high and this is very very sad news BUT please do not make this thread toxic and keep it civil as much as possible.
Well said Metro and everyone try follow this please. Nothing too bad or abusive on here yet considering how many of us with differing opinions feel.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Henry Winter on Twitter

Staff at TA and ER said to be "heart-broken" that Bielsa's gone. I was at TA last week when he walked in and staff's love for him immense. Difficult decision for Radrizzani/club. Cost of relegation huge. Many #lufc fans saying they'd rather go down with Bielsa, playing his way.
Of course there was a chance we would go down with Bielsa personally I didn't think so as think the March games were key (never expected anything in Feb).

However its far more likely as think some of the squad will take too much motivating.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Selby White wrote:
However its far more likely as think some of the squad will take too much motivating.
You’d like to think Marcelo actually going would be all the motivation that’s needed next Saturday. Sadly I concur with you I believe certain players are looking to the exit door in the summer and more financial rewards elsewhere. Given the clubs recent dire form they’re going to have to up their games if they want to be in the shop window.