Welcome Jesse Marsch

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Welcome Jesse Marsch

Post by Emley White »

Mr Russell wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:just rewatched the video of him (apparently) meeting the players for the first time.

In my US working experience there were managers who could talk for a long time but not actually say anything. I was reminded of this by the video.

PS: he's the first American Premiership manager, right?
2nd after Bob Bradley.
Some are counting him the 3rd, including David Wagner as American (bit dubious but eh oh that's what the media say)
I'd just like to welcome him and hope he can save our season. It will be tough but I wish him all the luck in the world. We're certainly due some that's for sure.
The Squirrel
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by The Squirrel »

This guy needs to stop pronouncing "Premier League" as "Pr'meer League"
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

When they said Kalvin, Liam and Pat would be back early Marsch I thought they meant the month.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Emley White wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:just rewatched the video of him (apparently) meeting the players for the first time.

In my US working experience there were managers who could talk for a long time but not actually say anything. I was reminded of this by the video.

PS: he's the first American Premiership manager, right?
2nd after Bob Bradley.
Some are counting him the 3rd, including David Wagner as American (bit dubious but eh oh that's what the media say)
I'd just like to welcome him and hope he can save our season. It will be tough but I wish him all the luck in the world. We're certainly due some that's for sure.
12 games left, 36 points up for grabs. How many do we need to survive? 15? 12? 10?
The next six games include Watford and Norwich which you hope we will win, Villa & Wolves which you would hopefully might win one but a draw or two would be fine. The Leicester game might be too soon, and Southampton are on form.

To ensure we survive, we just need to end with three teams below us. Looking at the bottom 7 and who they've played and have left to play

Brentford are immediately above us, but in very poor form, with just a single point from their last 8 games and reliant on their early season form. Their demise reminds me that of when Bournemouth went down
Their best chance for points are the bottom teams they are playing, but have just lost to Newcastle and have Norwich and Burnley up next. If they don't get a win from either of these then you may wonder where they will get points to get past 30 and to 35 which looks like could be the safety point.

Burnley seem to be most people's choice to survive the drop. Since their loss to us, they've only lost to Liverpool with the others being W2D4 and a lot of the games been in the middle pack that they play well against. Having drawn half of their 24 matches, they may well be on to draw half the remainder and say if they win a couple more gives 12 pts putting them of 33. If they do better, then this could be 37, but essentially they just need to keep results coming.

Everton seems to be the team that most forget that they are down where they are with poor results. They've lost the two matches since beating us, and had lost the four games prior to that. They are a point ahead of Burnley, but far worse recent form. Having lost to Manchester City, they still have the other 7 of the top 8 to play. They might get the odd draw, I suppose we could optimistically say 2-3. They have 7 bottom half teams to play. With Brentford, Watford and the Burley postponed game to play they'd be looking at 6 points from these if they realistically are looking to survive. Then there's Palace, Newcastle, and Leicester twice, and maybe they draw a couple of these. That gives 11 putting them on 33 pts, or getting an unlikely win to boost a draw to finish on 35pts.

Watford and Norwich are the current bottom two sides. Norwich are 20th, lost the last 3 though against top half teams. Their next two are Brentford and Leeds, arguably their best chance for points and a boost to their chances. However 12 games to go, 5 points behind 17th, survival will be a struggle. Will likely get 2-3 wins and 3 or 2 draws, losing 7, making them finish on 25 and go down (if they get a bit better results it could be up to 30, but not really sure they can or it's enough)

Watford seem to have teams they know to play against, taken 4 pts at scum, 6 at Villa, and 2 from Newcastle. These three teams aside, they've lost 11 games to the top 16. So you might think Everton and Burnley they will get points from, but with 4 bottom 6 sides they might hope for more, though obviously its against others who also desperately need points. Probably 8 points finishing on 27.

This leaves Leeds, and where are points will come from? Comparing this stage with the 26 game stage last season, might be surprising.
We've lost the same number of games, just won less and drawing instead. It might not feel like that especially with big losses and losing games like Newcastle and Everton that most would hope we would win.
Like for like there were 5 matches we lost last year that this year we drew (or in the case of West Ham, won). However 12 games where we've had a worst result (in terms of WDL not looking at performance/scoreline) which is telling.

How we do may well be what Marsch can get the players to do. We don't know if Bielsa could have got the players up, or as rumour has it he'd lost the confidence of several players. Of the remaining 12 games last season we W5D2L5, and maybe expecting that much is too much, but what do we need? Is 35 enough, 37? We've 3 top 6 sides, that under our past style would probably lose all 3 games, if we play a bit more defensive, get a point from one? middle 7 draw 4 or possibly win 1 and draw 2. We've three bottom 6 and you'd now hope we win two at least. Might all come down to the matches in the middle of the table and how we do as to where we finish.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Interesting Stats as always Nik and shows two important things, under Bielsa -

Despite playing more top sides than the others we are not in the relegation spots.

We lose less games than the other bottom 6 teams and mid-table teams.

Oh and continue at those rates and my prediction that we would have stayed up under MB would be correct, over to you Jesse.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Well I've given it a couple of days to calm down but I haven't so I wont be saying welcome to Jesse.
Nothing personal have fallen out of love with club, the decision to get rid of Marcelo now spits in the face of loyalty something I believe in. The timing is horrendous and we are no better than the rest in this money/power grabbing world.

Have supported Leeds since the day I was born seen many of our good and bad times but not so many disgusting times (off top of my head bringing in Clough, possibly Bates, its that bad IMHO).

To make it clear I'm not blaming or against Jesse as I know very little about him, my blame is 100% towards the powers that run the club.

Despite the recent bad run I have always maintained my belief we would have stayed up, I'm not so sure now just hope so. Its the unknown of what can the new man get out of players that were Marcelo disciples.

Maybe I'll grow to like the man, will still support him for as long as he is here.
He may even do well but that wont change what was a disgusting decision.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Selby White wrote:Well I've given it a couple of days to calm down but I haven't so I wont be saying welcome to Jesse.
Nothing personal have fallen out of love with club, the decision to get rid of Marcelo now spits in the face of loyalty something I believe in. The timing is horrendous and we are no better than the rest in this money/power grabbing world.

Have supported Leeds since the day I was born seen many of our good and bad times but not so many disgusting times (off top of my head bringing in Clough, possibly Bates, its that bad IMHO).

To make it clear I'm not blaming or against Jesse as I know very little about him, my blame is 100% towards the powers that run the club.

Despite the recent bad run I have always maintained my belief we would have stayed up, I'm not so sure now just hope so. Its the unknown of what can the new man get out of players that were Marcelo disciples.

Maybe I'll grow to like the man, will still support him for as long as he is here.
I sympathise with a lot of this SW, but I'm trying to accept that it's possible to both feel bereft at what we've lost (that thing that made us all feel special, way beyond football and results), and also still engage with the new manager and the rest of this season. Marsch seems to me like he's putting a lot of effort to vocally recognise the situation he's coming into, the reverence fans have for the manager he's replacing, and the need to demonstrate that he's not an iron fist bringing in sweeping changes. For now, that's enough for me to hope that he's a good guy, which tbh is what I demand from a coach as much as technical and tactical ability (remind me of this when we've lost the next four on the bounce through Marsch's naivety!).
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

As a 50 year old bloke, I’m embarrassed to say I’ve shed a little tear or two over the last couple of days, particularly when I watch some of the videos of Bielsa. What an incredible man, not just in terms of what he has done for the club, but his values as a person and a human being. I’ve changed a couple of things in my life because of him, things for the better. I’ve never done that under any previous managers.

Will I ever feel the same about Jesse Marsch, time will tell, but at this moment in time I’m a bit like you SW, I’m really struggling. I remind myself that none of this is his fault, by all accounts he was coming in the summer anyway, the decision has been brought forward by the board, he could hardly say no and, for those who think we were in danger of going down under Bielsa (not me, as I’ve maintained throughout), they will praise him for coming to the rescue.

I’m sure when I get back in ER that ‘buzz’ will return, but for the time being, it’s gone, utterly gone. I can just, only just, see why the club have panicked and changed, but the whole thing has been handled absolutely appallingly and for that I’m struggling to forgive.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Selby White wrote:Well I've given it a couple of days to calm down but I haven't so I wont be saying welcome to Jesse.

I'm sure Marcelo feels let down by the club, given full reign and then sacked when he probably felt we could turn it around.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm not sure) the club is run as a business and it was a case of whether keeping Marcelo would have been too high a risk.

This next six games are our best chance for points. The team perform well (usually) against lower teams and we may have well got enough under Marcelo, but I suppose the question is, what if it hadn't. Is it better that Marcelo feels let down by the club's owners than we end up relegated and Marcelo feels he has let down the fans.
If we end up relegated, there will always be the unknown "Marcelo would have kept us up".

Changing now gives the new guy the best chance of getting points, vindicating the board's decision, and news that the club were holding talks pre-manure game does mean they were waiting for him to fail to pull the trigger.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Nic wrote:
Selby White wrote: , and news that the club were holding talks pre-manure game does mean they were waiting for him to fail to pull the trigger.
Makes it more disgusting :evil: