Welcome Jesse Marsch

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Welcome Jesse Marsch

Post by Davycc »

Great stuff :clap:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

https://theguardian.com/football/2022/m ... ch-arsenal

The mood in the room was heated, bordering on mutinous. It was January 2015 and the New York Red Bulls had decided to organise a town-hall meeting with season-ticket holders, a decision they were quickly beginning to regret. Ten days earlier the club had sacked their wildly popular coach Mike Petke. Now, on a freezing Friday night in Harrison, New Jersey, about 300 furious Red Bulls fans wanted to know why.

Even though the meeting was supposed to be off the record and no media were invited, footage of the chaotic evening quickly found its way online. The general manager, Marc de Grandpre, and sporting director, Ali Curtis, were mercilessly heckled and interrupted at every turn. “You guys don’t know number 2s!” one fan shouted at them. Some supporters demanded a refund of their season tickets. Others simply wanted to express their disdain for the decision to sack Petke, a man who had led the Red Bulls to some of the greatest successes in their history, and replace him with an unfancied young coach called Jesse Marsch.

For Marsch, who had been given the job 10 days earlier despite possessing the bare minimum of coaching experience in Major League Soccer, it was the most intimidating introduction imaginable. As insults flew across the room, as livid New Yorkers vowed never to visit the stadium again, Marsch simply sat calmly and listened. Eventually, it was his turn to grasp the microphone and speak, and one fact immediately became arrestingly clear. He was enjoying himself.

Believe it or not, I love this passion,” Marsch said. “There’s a lot of clubs in this league that would have none of this. I know how privileged I am to be the coach of this team. I’m excited to be here.”

“You have one year,” one fan shouted at him.

“You know what?” Marsch shot back. “I’ll take whatever I can get, quite honestly.” That line drew a few chuckles, and as he carried on speaking Marsch began to win the room over. In a way, these situations are where he has always been in his element: connecting, communicating, working a crowd, articulating his vision. He reassured fans who feared a radical overhaul.

“I’m not here to take things 180 degrees,” he said. “I’m not here to take away the identity of what the club is.” Three years later, when Marsch left having led the club to two league titles and a Concacaf Champions League semi-final, it’s fair to say he had left his mark.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jesse Marsch Leeds United Record -

I’ll keep this updated for the length of Jesse’s stay at Leeds United....

1. Leicester City (A) L 1-0
2. Aston Villa (H) L 0-3
3. Norwich City (H) W 2-1
4. Wolves (A) W 2-3
5. Southampton (H) D 1-1
6. Watford (A) W 0-3
7. Crystal Palace (A) D 0-0
8. Man City (H) L 0-4
9. Arsenal (A) L 2-1

P9 W3 D2 L4
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

2. Aston Villa (H) L 0-3
4. Wolves (A) W 2-3
5. Southampton (H) D 1-1
6. Watford (A) W 0-3
8. Man City (H) L 0-4
9. Arsenal (A) L 2-1
10. Chelsea (H) L 0-3

P10 W3 D2 L5
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Bye Jesse :shh:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Mr Russell wrote:Bye Jesse :shh:
Let’s hope so, otherwise League 1 beckons, never mind the Championship.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

2. Aston Villa (H) L 0-3
4. Wolves (A) W 2-3
5. Southampton (H) D 1-1
6. Watford (A) W 0-3
8. Man City (H) L 0-4
9. Arsenal (A) L 2-1
10. Chelsea (H) L 0-3
11. Brighton (H) D 1-1

P11 W3 D3 L5
Gascoigne
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by Gascoigne »

In my personal opinion, it was a mistake to dismiss Bielsa.

In the interests of clarity, let me make it clear that I don't go in for the Perón-style 'Bielsa Cult'. I am not in his thrall.

But there are managers and then there are Managers. Some managers just come in to manage a team and do that job.

Other managers are not just managers. They are strategists with vision and ambition who intend to put their stamp on a club, almost to the point that they make the club synonymous with them, so that it becomes virtually a personality cult. These types of managers aren't perfect, but when you're lucky enough to find one, you stick with him. It won't always work out. Apart from the normal human flaws of any manager, there's the rub of the green, random injuries and a thousand other variables.

There's also the central and unique unfairness of being an elite sports team manager in that, despite holding a key position in a multi-million pound business, one of the major factors in evaluating a manager's performance is utterly outside his own control. A manager has no control of what happens out on the pitch. He can select a side. He can ask the club to remould the squad. He can decide tactics. He can motivate. He can make substitutions during a match. But in the end he is just a spectator, like the rest of us. Some teams just play consistently below par for the tier they are in, even when - as here - they have a very top class manager.

What you don't do is dismiss such a manager just because of poor results. To do so suggests a lack of long-term vision on the part of the owners. A lack of long-term vision may in turn imply a lack of heart.

I am not going to get into the game of slating the Board. That's cheap. But in Bielsa's case, there was more behind it. All this nonsense about him wanting a small squad and over-training players is really just a distraction from what was really going on behind the scenes.

If he had a small squad, that suggests economising on the part of the Board. Orta, as their go-between, was responsible for controlling Bielsa and the club transfer budget. That is what a 'director of football' is really for. He is the point man for the Board and, ultimately, the club's owners.

That doesn't mean the Board/owners are doing anything wrong. It may be that the Board have good reasons, but you also have to wonder about the fact that a major minority owner of the club is the controlling owner of an NFL team on the west coast of the USA. How much are such people going to understand about the English game and its commercial and sporting realities? Distance has its advantages in looking at things a bit more objectively and less emotionally, but it could also mean that they see the club in terms of reports, phone calls and spreadsheets.

The majority owners are also foreign and not brought up in English culture. Are they Leeds fans? Do they have the club in their hearts? Or are they ultimately just business people with varying levels of expertise in football?

Martin Edwards was, I must assume, a Manchester United supporter as well as its managing director. He understood Alex Ferguson and his vision for Manchester United and kept faith in him. Ferguson could have been dismissed in 1989, 1990, 1992, but they stuck with him.

Similarly, Arsene Wenger was slated in his early days as Arsenal manager - and some Arsenal fans still consider him a bit of an underachiever - but Arsenal stuck with him and repeated rewards.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Premier League 2021/2022 -

2. Aston Villa (H) L 0-3
4. Wolves (A) W 2-3
5. Southampton (H) D 1-1
6. Watford (A) W 0-3
8. Man City (H) L 0-4
9. Arsenal (A) L 2-1
10. Chelsea (H) L 0-3
11. Brighton (H) D 1-1
12. Brentford (A) W 1-2

Premier League 2022/2023 -

P12 W4 D3 L5
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Chris Armas is set to be announced as Jesse Marsch's number two this Summer. The role is currently occupied by Franz Schiemer, but the lure of an Assistant Manager's role with the Austrian National team seems too good to turn down. Schiemer remains on good terms with Leeds, so much so that he has agreed to work for Leeds United in a different capacity in the future.

Armas is a former USA International midfielder with 66 caps. He has 14 years of Management on his CV, most notably, he was the Assistant Coach to Ralf Rangnick at Manchester Utd. He also spent five years at the New York Red Bulls, working under Marsch, until he was transferred over to their sister company RB Salzburg.

According to Phil Hay:- "Jesse Marsch's backroom team will see changes this summer. Countryman Chris Armas, who was No 2 to Ralf Rangnick at Manchester United, is set to come in as Marsch’s new assistant after having that role under him at New York Red Bulls in MLS. It’s not certain yet what that means for Marsch’s current assistant, Frankie Schiemer, but there is going to be a reshuffle of sorts.
Winner of the Europa League