Disappointing destinations

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Disappointing destinations

Post by mapperleywhite »

Davycc wrote:Paris, noisey, expensive and like most other cities only much worse once you leave the touristy bits it's a real dump.

New York. Can't give a good reason really but would never be in a rush to go back.
I'm right with you on New York. In fact, with apologies to our American members, most US cities are uninteresting the exceptions being San Francisco and Houston (for the nostalgic reason that I lived there for four years)
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

I stayed at a work colleague's house in Oslo for a couple of nights and he showed me around. It doesn't have the air of a national capital, more like a provincial town with no boutique attractions. And talk about EXPENSIVE! Also found Finland's countryside rather tedious, saw enough forests and lakes for an entire lifetime.

I'm not big on Rome either. It's rather frayed round the edges, over-subscribed by tourists and the locals aren't a particularly friendly bunch. For me there are more enjoyable Italian destinations like Verona and Naples.

In 1986 I was in India for three weeks on business based in Bombay. You don't just SEE India it's an assault on all your senses; it's the only time during my work travel career that after ten days I actually asked my boss if I could come home. To be fair things improved and at the weekend I saw the Taj Mahal and the Red Fort. Most famous destinations are over-hyped but the Taj Mahal was truly magnificent.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:Paris, noisey, expensive and like most other cities only much worse once you leave the touristy bits it's a real dump.

New York. Can't give a good reason really but would never be in a rush to go back.
I'm right with you on New York. In fact, with apologies to our American members, most US cities are uninteresting the exceptions being San Francisco and Houston (for the nostalgic reason that I lived there for four years)
As far as Texas goes I thought San Antonio was better than Houston :D
Chicago is best US city for a tourist in my view.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Iceland we were really looking forward to our visit via Celebrity Cruises but boy I found it as dull as ditchwater. We booked a tour through the ship and the first port of call was a Hydroelectric Power Station ( yawn ) then we went to see Gullfoss waterfall but there was no waterfall. Finally we went to see the Geysers which were impressive. We had lunch at a local hotel and salmon was the only choice, I told the waitress I disliked salmon a lot, she removed my plate and 10 minutes later I was presented with a delicious steak much to the envy of many others.

Apologies to any Icelandic members :D
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

On the same cruise as above ^ we visited the Faroe Islands where we paid $50 each for a tour. As we left the terminal thick fog came down and remained for the entire tour. The guide would say if you could see there’s a really interesting feature over to the right etc. 4 hours later as we drove into the terminal the fog lifted :roll: So we spent $100 and saw the square root of nowt :twisted:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

mapperleywhite wrote:
Totally agree on San Francisco loved our visit there also San Diego on the west coast. On the eastern side Boston was a stand out destination we loved every minute of our 2 day visit. Baltimore was excellent & rightly nicknamed the Charm City. Philadelphia was good as was Niagra Falls a real wow moment absolutely magnificent.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

mapperleywhite wrote:In 1986 I was in India for three weeks on business based in Bombay. You don't just SEE India it's an assault on all your senses; it's the only time during my work travel career that after ten days I actually asked my boss if I could come home. To be fair things improved and at the weekend I saw the Taj Mahal and the Red Fort. Most famous destinations are over-hyped but the Taj Mahal was truly magnificent.
Totally agree. I was there in '91 and it took the best part of a week to acclimatise to the overpowering everythingness of Mumbai. And then another few days to get over the intestinal problem. :roll: But then a month or so of complete wonder. I would love to go back to India and South East Asia and take the better half but I'm worried it would not live up to my memories. I've seen Google map images of where I stayed in Bangkok, for instance, and it is all built up now.
How dare these places modernise and progress over 30 years. :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The thing about India is it’s so noisy with car/lorry horns beeping constantly. As I said in a previous post on this thread the minute you walk down the steps of the plane your senses are attacked by blazing dry heat, the wonderful aroma of spices and then the noise. As started earlier Goa is alright just but the Western Ghats are beautiful and the people amazing.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:

As far as Texas goes I thought San Antonio was better than Houston :D

Whoa Selby whisper it soft or the good 'ol boys from the Galleria will be round! I certainly wouldn't recommend Houston as a holiday destination, nothing really noteworthy to see there; agree San Antonio is rather more enjoyable with its river walk, the Alamo and so on.
Selby White wrote:Chicago is best US city for a tourist in my view.
Have you been to San Francisco? (there's a song right?....)

Yes I'd go along with you about Chicago, there's a more enjoyable vibe than NYC about the place and the setting on the Lake is very pleasant. Think these days, though, it's blighted by homelessness.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Tallin in Estonia didn’t live up to the hype it receives well in my humble anyway. Maybe we missed things but I’m sure we didn’t. The main drag a reasonable place to sit for a coffee and people watch. The city walls are alright but not a patch on York, no bias intended. I know loads of people who’ve visited and rave about it so it’s probably just us.