2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by blackbox2342 »

If we are relegated do people have faith that the board would find strong championship level replacements?

I don't see it.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

blackbox2342 wrote:If we are relegated do people have faith that the board would find strong championship level replacements?

I don't see it.
I think it all depends on who owns us come the summer.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
blackbox2342 wrote:If we are relegated do people have faith that the board would find strong championship level replacements?

I don't see it.
That's a fair point and another unknown.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

ChilwellWhite wrote:

I don't see it.
I believe if we are relegated then the majority of the squad will stay. The above is a leading question in if Radz does indeed sell will he cash in on our prize assets before handing things over ? Phillips & Raphinha joint worth £60-80 million it’s going to be interesting.
Winner of the Europa League
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:

I don't see it.
I believe if we are relegated then the majority of the squad will stay. The above is a leading question in if Radz does indeed sell will he cash in on our prize assets before handing things over ? Phillips & Raphinha joint worth £60-80 million it’s going to be interesting.
I could see Meslier, Rodrigo, Koch , Llorente and even Bamford going too.
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

superfox wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:

I don't see it.
I hope (and believe) that Meslier and Bamford stay, but have no problems with the rest. As I recall, they were all National Team players, when we bought them - and now no longer!
TelfordLeeds
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by TelfordLeeds »

The only good thing about getting relegated is that a lot of the current U23 squad are going to play a lot of games next year, which may prove the best way of advancing them to Premier League standard. Norwich and Watford are crap, so would expect to bounce straight back up, even without Phillips and Raphinha.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

TelfordLeeds wrote:The only good thing about getting relegated is that a lot of the current U23 squad are going to play a lot of games next year, which may prove the best way of advancing them to Premier League standard. Norwich and Watford are crap, so would expect to bounce straight back up, even without Phillips and Raphinha.
It's true, but the key will be the manager. Do we trust Marsch if he got us relegated?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

superfox wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:

I don't see it.
Robin Koch said last month he will stay if we go down.
"We go down together" were his words.

https://www.teamtalk.com/leeds-united/r ... n-together

None of us know who would go but in all reality I would expect Phillips and Raphina to leave, let's be right some on here have been saying they will go even if we stay up.

Only a guess but Rodrigo & Llorente would possibly look to go back to Spain but far from certain as we wouldn't release them for free so would to find someone to pay.
Would make sense though as we would look to cut the wage bill.

Still will worry about it if or when we are relegated, 12 points still to play for and giving up is not in my nature.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

If we go down Raphinha, Phillips, Rodrigo and Llorente surely leaves.
Pretty sure Meslier and Firpo would go to. I would count Koch as a sure out aswell, but maybe he still see a future for himself even if we go down based on the comments above. The last 2 seasons he's been injured and not played much, so maybe he personally would prefer to stay to give himself more game time.
Bamford, Struijk, James and Harrison would also attract a lot of interest from lower half PL teams. I think perhaps Klich could go too.

I'd assume our first 11 would look something like this if we go down:
Klaesson / NEW
Drameh/Ayling - Cresswell/Struijk - Cooper - Dallas/NEW
Bate/Klich/NEW - Forshaw
Summerville - Greenwood - Harrison/New
Gelhardt/Bamford/NEW

If we go down there are some key points:
1. Get as much as possible from outgoing players
2. Try to keep some of the experienced leaders as key players to try to keep the good things from the past (Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Forshaw the obvious candidates)
3. Find out which of the young players that are good enough and which one that shouldn't be used that much.
4. Get in a few new players that can boost the squad.

But of course, there are still good possibilities that we stay up.