2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by corkleedsmot »

Not really sure why we are risking not having a 9 for a whole season again but here we are. I can't really see how Radz thinks 10-14th is the most realistic outcome with our current squad. The most realistic outcome is relegation or righ on the bubble with a couple of injuries.

Not even looking to spend a lot just have a 9 bench option and a left back. 4 million for Tagliafico would have removed most long term risk at LB. Our first choice left back most likely isn't even up to it at PL level as is. Maybe they love Hjelde? Can get a decent 9 from a smaller league for 10-15 mill. No real back up plan. Hope I am way wrong.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

We have two number 9s in Bamford and Gelhardt. Bamford is quality and Joffy is the next big thing. Not a lot of clubs that plays with one up front have more than 2 strikers.
I think it’s very hard to find a player that is good enough to play 500 minutes or so in Premier League that wants to be third choice.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Polkadot wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 14:29 We have two number 9s in Bamford and Gelhardt. Bamford is quality and Joffy is the next big thing. Not a lot of clubs that plays with one up front have more than 2 strikers.
I think it’s very hard to find a player that is good enough to play 500 minutes or so in Premier League that wants to be third choice.
The issue with Patrick Bamford is that he is on the way back after something of an odd injury where no one seemed sure about what it was that was preventing recovery. From that point of view I think there is a question mark around his sustainability. As for Gelhardt, he is still learning his trade and needs to be grown on slowly and not thrown in at the deep end and expected to carry the burden and responsibility of main Center Forward. Much better that is is used as an impact substitute.
I will say also that Rodrigo is not the answer.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Gelhardt played more than 700 minutes last season and most people wanted to see him play a lot more. I think we can expect him to play atleast 1000 minutes, probably around 1500 minutes, if he doesn’t get bigger injuries.
Bamford played close to nothing last season but recorded more than 3000 minutes the year before. If he can do 2000-2500 minutes (2500 = average of 65 per game) Gelhardt should be able to cover the rest, as long as their (hopefully small amount) injuries fits together. But that isn’t likely, so it’s good to have a third option that is usable. It’s not impossible that Sonny Perkins can do this season what Gelhardt did last season.

I see than Ben Jacobs on Twitter says that PSG have told us that they demand 22m for Kalimuendo. So possibilities for an expensive striker is still there, but I fear there might be a collision between giving Gelhardt enough game time and keeping a third striker happy unless Bamford goes injured a lot…
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I can understand their logic on the striker situation, having missed their target and all the various in-house options shining in pre-season, but LB looks a mistake to me... hopefully the noises are to distract people while we quietly sign up a world-class LB to match our world-class RB
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Marsch was quoted last week I think it was, stating that they know they need more options at Left Back ie they were looking to recruit one.
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

I'm pretty sure I'm a minority opinion but I'm not too worried about striker. We have one quite good 9, a promising player and a competent player as cover, two high upside youngsters behind them. LB still terrifies me. Firpo, a CB, an 18 year old, an older Dallas with fitness issues, and, maybe, one of our best wingers doesn't strike me as a comfortable situation. I still think that we could've used a more on-ball 10 if we're going to play a 4231. I know that Aaronson has been marketed as a 10 by many, but I don't think he's that and we don't have great options beyond that (Rodrigo, Klich?, Dallas?). I, perhaps naively, believe you are being overly pessimistic cork. As constructed, provide we gel, execute tactics and avoid a considerably-worse-than-average injury bug, I believe our talent level is enough to fit comfortably in the third quartile.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 08:59 Not seen anything official yet but apparently Helder Costa has joined Al Ittihad in Saudi Arabia on a season long loan with a view to purchase at the end of the season.

https://twitter.com/ittimania/status/15 ... Htswn-gZkQ
Still nothing from Leeds on this or have I missed it ?
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Leeds are targeting a £22m deal for Paris St-Germain's 20-year-old French forward Arnaud Kalimuendo. The S*n.
Winner of the Europa League
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

Andreas Christensen, Franck Kessie, Raphinha, Robert Lewandowski og Jules Kounde can’t be registered in Barca because of their financiel difficulties. If it wasn’t so sad, you would be laughing…