2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Selby White »

blackbox2342 wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 06:35 All quiet on transfer fronts. Really hope we sign a striker but I have a feeling we are not going to.
Would have agreed if we had gone along the 4-2-2-2 route many predicted under Jesse. But we now seem to have evolved into the 4-2-3-1 formation which in my opinion suits the players we have better.
We have 3 players now competing for the up top position (Rodrigo, Bamford & Gelhardt) so unless one leaves we don't really need a extra on the wage bill and have 3 strikers on the bench. Not only bad for the wages it makes man management keeping them all happy a very difficult task.
Looking further forward we have Joseph doing well in the u21s and at some stage may emerge, can never tell but could be 6 months or 2 years or of course like all young players may not reach first team level.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

HalifaxWhite wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 11:21
The Fonz wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 09:56
HalifaxWhite wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 08:49
I'll drive him there myself.
Oh dear some people really don't know the meaning of the word supporter.
Some people don't understand humour and the fact you can support a player whilst still acknowledging that they aren't actually that good.
If you think you are been funny I suggest you use an emoji so we know. Stick with the day job and dont try to be a stand up comic would be my advice ;)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

The Fonz wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 08:48
HalifaxWhite wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 11:21
The Fonz wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 09:56
HalifaxWhite wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 08:49
I'll drive him there myself.
Oh dear some people really don't know the meaning of the word supporter.
Some people don't understand humour and the fact you can support a player whilst still acknowledging that they aren't actually that good.
If you think you are been funny I suggest you use an emoji so we know. Stick with the day job and dont try to be a stand up comic would be my advice ;)
Moderator Message:
Both leave the conversation here before it spirals please
- Selby White
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Selby White wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 08:16
blackbox2342 wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 06:35 All quiet on transfer fronts. Really hope we sign a striker but I have a feeling we are not going to.
Would have agreed if we had gone along the 4-2-2-2 route many predicted under Jesse. But we now seem to have evolved into the 4-2-3-1 formation which in my opinion suits the players we have better.
We have 3 players now competing for the up top position (Rodrigo, Bamford & Gelhardt) so unless one leaves we don't really need a extra on the wage bill and have 3 strikers on the bench. Not only bad for the wages it makes man management keeping them all happy a very difficult task.
Looking further forward we have Joseph doing well in the u21s and at some stage may emerge, can never tell but could be 6 months or 2 years or of course like all young players may not reach first team level.
Totally agree with this. I was in the camp of needing a striker on the basis Rodrigo hadn't really shown us what we expected last year, Bamford has been injured a long time and Joffy is young and raw. Then the seeming need of 2 up top.

However as you say we are playing 1 up top now, Rodders is bang in form, Pat is on his way back (listened to him on the official LUFC podcast this week and he said himself it's a little groin niggle he's got, to be expected after missing so long but his foot issue feel great, absolutely no pain, from the man himself so thays great news). He will now have to earn his place back though with Rodders being on it. Then of course we have Joffy to provide cover.

More pressing in the LB need, Struijk is doing a great job in fairness to him BUT, if he gets injured or if one of Koch, Llorente get injured ans he covers them, who covers LB?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

HalifaxWhite wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 13:14
Selby White wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 08:16
Totally agree with this. I was in the camp of needing a striker on the basis Rodrigo hadn't really shown us what we expected last year, Bamford has been injured a long time and Joffy is young and raw. Then the seeming need of 2 up top.

However as you say we are playing 1 up top now, Rodders is bang in form, Pat is on his way back (listened to him on the official LUFC podcast this week and he said himself it's a little groin niggle he's got, to be expected after missing so long but his foot issue feel great, absolutely no pain, from the man himself so thays great news). He will now have to earn his place back though with Rodders being on it. Then of course we have Joffy to provide cover.

More pressing in the LB need, Struijk is doing a great job in fairness to him BUT, if he gets injured or if one of Koch, Llorente get injured ans he covers them, who covers LB?
Spot on.
Rodders has the shirt which is great no need to rush Paddy back until fully fit. Joffy with his close control and skill is a great asset to have from the bench against tiring defenders. Although hope he starts some games including tonight.
Great we have 3 very different strikers imho, gives us options.
The new 5 sub rule I'm not keen on but it's a fact of life and if we get it right could be a real advantage. Used it well against Chelsea didn't against Southampton.

Yes its a fear we are relying on one of our four CBs at LB at a time we only have the 3 that are playing fit. Think we've limited options tonight so at least one of them needs to play along with Hjelde.
Cant see any of our U21s close enough to be considered yet (although really rate Mullen highly) so a bit stretched in squad depth.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Selby White wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 14:13...Great we have 3 very different strikers imho, gives us options...
With 3 very different reasons to push at max capacity when they are on the pitch:

Rodders on a natural high with current form and very aware of Paddy coming back.

Paddy watching Rodders and realising he has no choice but to perform whenever he gets a run.

Joffy young, fearless and keen to push himself in front of at least 1 of Rodders and Paddy (possibly aiming to be ahead of both if he has the confidence that I think he has :D )
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

Could be lazy journalism as Hwang played under Marsch at Leipzig.
Leeds United want to sign Hwang Hee-Chan if Tottenham make cash bid for Dan James - Alan Nixon
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

blackbox2342 wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 05:23 Could be lazy journalism as Hwang played under Marsch at Leipzig.
Leeds United want to sign Hwang Hee-Chan if Tottenham make cash bid for Dan James - Alan Nixon
Oh, it must be a joke. To get rid of a versatile, effectively pressing, lightning-fast player and bring in...another striker!
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

superfox wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:00
blackbox2342 wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 05:23 Could be lazy journalism as Hwang played under Marsch at Leipzig.
Oh, it must be a joke. To get rid of a versatile, effectively pressing, lightning-fast player and bring in...another striker!
Hwang is not just another striker. He has played up front on his own and in a duo. He has also played a lot on the left, a little bit on the right and even behind a lone striker. He is very versatile.
But yeah, I don't believe it will happen.
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

I was desperate for a new striker a couple of weeks ago, which I think has eased greatly with Rodrigo’s form.
However, at the prices being quoted for Italian international Gnonto, I think he is the kind of investment that could be worth doing. Maybe buy him and loan him out, this will get us a fee, while also gaining him experience, win/win.
If he doesn’t live up to the promise, we would easily recoup any money spent and more, but if he becomes a player, would be an absolute bargain.
This is how the big clubs operate.