2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by corkleedsmot »

I do still think we need a striker. Rodrigo isn't an out and out striker and lacks certain qualities of a real 9. Also he isn't immune to an injury himself.
We started well and we have good games coming up but It is good to have one in case. I prefer a pessimistic view on squad management and try and completely erase any chance we are dragged into any anxiety post world cup
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Driving home from the game today, listening to Radio Leeds, and a caller came on and said something along the lines of we should be compounding this great start by strengthening even further in the areas we all know need strengthening, LB and CF and I couldn’t agree more.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Polkadot wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 18:59 I think Hjelde is exactly that kind of young talent that COP is asking for. The only question is whether he should play only CB or if he should play LB also. I think he has huge potential in both positions, but in 5 years time I expect him to be a CB.
I think Leo is planned in at LB with Cresswell planned in as the future young CB next year.
blackbox2342

Post by blackbox2342 »

I think we could do without a LB (though I would like one) but ST is an absolute must. We need cover in this area and I actually think it'd benefit Bamford's recovery as he wouldn't have the pressure to return. Let's see what happens as the window enters its final phase.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

blackbox2342 wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 20:55 I think we could do without a LB (though I would like one) but ST is an absolute must. We need cover in this area and I actually think it'd benefit Bamford's recovery as he wouldn't have the pressure to return. Let's see what happens as the window enters its final phase.
So help me out please: we need a striker in case Bamford, Rodrigo and Gelhardt are all injured at once, to block the road of Perkins? But we do not need a left back in the case Firpo, Struijk and Hjelde is out at once, and there is no young LB at all?
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

would it not be nice to see Bamford not having to play 90 minutes every game he plays and kept fresh and protected or even given the odd rest. we have 5 subs too. Most teams will have plans to maximize any gains that can come from this new rule.
alot of teams have players already who only play 2000-2500 minutes etc. I really think it is not a just 1 for 1 decision. We need to share the load way way better, Especially if we plan on outrunning every team we play.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

If we get a striker we don’t need another promising 18/20 year old. We have Gelhart Greenwood Perkins and Joseph all of whom have potential. We shouldn’t block their paths.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

gilesdriveby wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 21:32 If we get a striker we don’t need another promising 18/20 year old. We have Gelhart Greenwood Perkins and Joseph all of whom have potential. We shouldn’t block their paths.
Perhaps only 2 of those 4 you mention are actual strikers. Greenwood is not and it seems to me like Perkins is also more of a number 10 than a striker.

The main reason people have wanted a new striker is that Bamford and Joffy is not enough and Rodrigo has been thought to be unfit to lead the line as a single striker.
But we just saw Rodrigo have a brilliant game as a striker against Chelsea. Chelsea is a great team. If he can play upfront against Chelsea and be effective he can do that against any team in the world. I'm sure this game will make Marsch put Rodrigo up front if not Bamford and Joffy are availible. That means we have 3 really good options and I think Joseph and Dan James are good enough to cover as option number 4 and 5 in case ALL of Bamford, Rodrigo and Joffy are unavailable. Last season Bamford was injured almost the entire season. Joffy had a lot of small injuries and Rodrigo had a period around Christmas he had an heel injury. So even last season with the most insane injury problems you could imagine there was not a single game where all three of them were unavailable. And if the extremely unlikely will happen and all thre of them are out for a game or two, I'm sure James and/or Joseph will do just fine leading the line a game ot two.

We have actually a lot of depth in the squad this season.

GK: Meslier, Klaesson, Robles
RB: Kristensen, Ayling, Drameh, Dallas
CB: Koch, Llorente, Cooper, Struijk, Ayling, Hjelde
LB: Firpo, Struijk, Hjelde, Dallas
CM: Adams, Roca, Forshaw, Greenwood, Gyabi, Klich, Dallas
RW: James, Aaronson, Sinisterra, Summerville
CAM: Aaronson, Rodrigo, Klich, Greenwood, Perkins
LW: Harrison, Sinisterra, James, Summerville
ST: Bamford, Gelhardt, Rodrigo, James, Joseph

That is 29 different names that are competent enough to do a job on the field. Add Archie Gray, which more or less everyone wants to see getting some minutes this season, and we're at 30 players. Even if we remove Hjelde, Gray, Joseph, Gyabi and Drameh we have 25 players that have proved that they are able to play good in the Premier League. We are in a great place with our squad right now.
Of course it will look bad if the best player in every position are out at the same time, but you can't plan your squad for that. There need to be realizm.
West beach white
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by West beach white »

Is pascal Struijk becoming the best left back at the club. I've been very impressed with him so far. I'll admit I was concerned about his lack of pace playing there.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

West beach white wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 22:35 Is pascal Struijk becoming the best left back at the club. I've been very impressed with him so far. I'll admit I was concerned about his lack of pace playing there.
Absolutely not, he is doing exceptional work there, but eventually it will catch us out.

Pascal is NOT a left back.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.