2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Leonickroberts »

saihtam wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 11:06
blackbox2342 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 06:30 A new player link, I've not seen this one before.
Leeds United are said to be arrogant in the race to sign FC Zurich striker Wilfried Gnonto this summer, according to Gianluca Di Marzio.

The Italian journalist for Sky Sports has reported that a multi-million deal is being worked on between the two clubs which could be worth up to £4.2million.

The 18-year-old made 33 appearances last season in Switzerland, scoring nine goals and adding three assists as he started to make a name for himself around Europe
Uhh he is 1.7m tall. Need so much talent to be succesfull in PL being that short striker.
Agreed Saihtam, that's really small for a striker (5ft6 in old money), and not every smaller player is a Messi. My concern would be that we need a forward who can deliver not just goals but also Bamford's excellent hold-up play, and this would be tricky for a short striker.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Also rumoured to be in the running for James Garner (not Rockford) Brandon Vazquez MSL Belisha from Fernabache and Diaz so a lot of clickbait stories.

If we get one I’ll be surprised
awost1
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by awost1 »

He's actually a really strong profile for his given his pace and the fact that he doesn't just play 9. We need someone who can play 9 or 10, and maybe even one of 7/11. It's the only way this signing would get playing time in a healthy squad scenario. That's why this is so difficult - they don't want to sign a 9, they want to sign a top 4 player who can play as a 9.

I would prefer a classic 9 myself and just say rubbish with Patrick from an expectations standpoint (i.e. whatever we get from him is bonus), but that's obviously not how the team feels based on our actions this summer.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

awost1 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 11:53 He's actually a really strong profile for his given his pace and the fact that he doesn't just play 9. We need someone who can play 9 or 10, and maybe even one of 7/11. It's the only way this signing would get playing time in a healthy squad scenario. That's why this is so difficult - they don't want to sign a 9, they want to sign a top 4 player who can play as a 9.

I would prefer a classic 9 myself and just say rubbish with Patrick from an expectations standpoint (i.e. whatever we get from him is bonus), but that's obviously not how the team feels based on our actions this summer.
Gee wizz awost that is more numbers than I got at bingo last night :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

The Fonz wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 13:28
awost1 wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 11:53 He's actually a really strong profile for his given his pace and the fact that he doesn't just play 9. We need someone who can play 9 or 10, and maybe even one of 7/11. It's the only way this signing would get playing time in a healthy squad scenario. That's why this is so difficult - they don't want to sign a 9, they want to sign a top 4 player who can play as a 9.

Gee wizz awost that is more numbers than I got at bingo last night :D
I hope you won, would add up more too I suspect :D
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

What do we think of our transfer business so far now we've seen the new boys?

For me I think Roca and Adams together cover for KP but obviously 2 bodies rather than 1 which actually makes a bit more sense. Also note that KP is injured again, muscle injury unknown return according to the official PL pages. So as I think a few of us said, getting those 2 for his money with change is actually good business considering he was only available for half the games last season. They both offer different aspect, Taylor great at breaking up play but poor on the ball so usually lays a short one sideways or back, which is fine if the team is set up that way. Roca has good technical ability but less physical, not as weak physical as Adams is Technical so for me Roca is the better of the 2 overall.

Unsure on Kristensen yet, may learn over the next few games and keep his post at RB.

Aaronson looks a cracking player to me, needs to improve his stamina but that can be done. He has great feet, good creativity and pace. Very good signing IMO.

Sinisterra I want to see more but hasn't set the game alight in the brief moments we've seen him as I'd hoped. I imagined him at the Raphinha level, whenever raph was on the pitch you knew he was there. Hopefully Sini will bed in and cha ge my mind.

Still need a striker as absolute priority now
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

TBH the were times in mant games were Raphinha was very quiet.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

HalifaxWhite wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 14:50 What do we think of our transfer business so far now we've seen the new boys?

For me I think Roca and Adams together cover for KP but obviously 2 bodies rather than 1 which actually makes a bit more sense. Also note that KP is injured again, muscle injury unknown return according to the official PL pages. So as I think a few of us said, getting those 2 for his money with change is actually good business considering he was only available for half the games last season. They both offer different aspect, Taylor great at breaking up play but poor on the ball so usually lays a short one sideways or back, which is fine if the team is set up that way. Roca has good technical ability but less physical, not as weak physical as Adams is Technical so for me Roca is the better of the 2 overall.

Unsure on Kristensen yet, may learn over the next few games and keep his post at RB.

Aaronson looks a cracking player to me, needs to improve his stamina but that can be done. He has great feet, good creativity and pace. Very good signing IMO.

Sinisterra I want to see more but hasn't set the game alight in the brief moments we've seen him as I'd hoped. I imagined him at the Raphinha level, whenever raph was on the pitch you knew he was there. Hopefully Sini will bed in and cha ge my mind.

Agree with the assessment HW. I've been very impressed with Roca - hope he grows into the Premier League. Aaronson look like a lovely signing and a joy to watch. Expecting to see him playing in a more central role with Sinisterra/James out wide. Think it's far too early to judge Sinisterra, he's only played about 18 minutes in total!

One question though - who's Taylor!? :D
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Leonickroberts wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 15:36
HalifaxWhite wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 14:50 What do we think of our transfer business so far now we've seen the new boys?

Agree with the assessment HW. I've been very impressed with Roca - hope he grows into the Premier League. Aaronson look like a lovely signing and a joy to watch. Expecting to see him playing in a more central role with Sinisterra/James out wide. Think it's far too early to judge Sinisterra, he's only played about 18 minutes in total!

One question though - who's Taylor!? :D
He's the great auto correcting imposter.

Though I can think of one Taylor we would all like to see back in white. Maybe it's a premonition?
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

As an avid fan of the MLS, I'm not sure what to think of the connection with Leeds. The league is growing rapidly and the quality has improved dramatically, but I'm uncertain as to how well a recruitment strategy comprised primarily of his former charges and players from his most familiar league (and a less established league, as well) will work. All of that said, I didn't think Harrison would succeed in England, at least not at the PL level, when he was in MLS. For me, two of our three best performers over the first two matches are MLS projects and Tyler, while not a complete player, has shown some flashes of quality. Of the two we are connected with - LB Kai Wagner plays at a level comparable to Aaronson and Adams' tenures and above Harrison's. CF Brandon Vasquez is a traditional 9 - excellent in the air, excellent movement in the box, productive poacher and young-ish at 23. That said he only really started to fill the stat sheet this season (though he is firmly in the race for the Golden Boot as the season winds down) and he is aided by an additional goal threat from CF and an excellent 10, which we currently lack. I'd compare his tenure in MLS to Harrison's - there's clearly talent there but there are still uncertainties. The nice thing about these rumours is that they address needs, at least temporarily, and I would expect them to be cheap/low risk.

I also think there are some quality, low cost options in Liga MX:
Erick Aguirre - LB
Juan Dinenno - CF
German Berterame - CF
Julian Quinones - CF/AM/SS