2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Just as a clarification on the subject of shirt numbers - I was looking at Internationals across the World
Also, I somehow missed out Michel Platini - another No 10.
I am sure there are plenty of others but these are the players that made me sit and look again and again.
As for the missing LUFC players - I would not pick any other than the Revie boys selected by ANS but alongside that I'd add in the Wilkinson Brigade:
1 - John Lukic
2 - Mel Sterland
3 - Tony Dorigo
4 - David Batty
5 - Chris Fairclough
6 - Chris White
7 - Gordan Strachan
8 - Rodney Wallace
9 - Lee Chapman
10 - Gary McAllister
11 - Gary Speed
12 - Steve Hodge
12 - Jon Newsome
The next iteration would be to draw up a list of the Bielsa Champions. Anyone fancy a go?
Keep The Faith / WAL
Costy

Post by Costy »

PhoenixUnited wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 16:18 Just as a clarification on the subject of shirt numbers - I was looking at Internationals across the World
Also, I somehow missed out Michel Platini - another No 10.
I am sure there are plenty of others but these are the players that made me sit and look again and again.
As for the missing LUFC players - I would not pick any other than the Revie boys selected by ANS but alongside that I'd add in the Wilkinson Brigade:
1 - John Lukic
2 - Mel Sterland
3 - Tony Dorigo
4 - David Batty
5 - Chris Fairclough
6 - Chris White
7 - Gordan Strachan
8 - Rodney Wallace
9 - Lee Chapman
10 - Gary McAllister
11 - Gary Speed
12 - Steve Hodge
12 - Jon Newsome
The next iteration would be to draw up a list of the Bielsa Champions. Anyone fancy a go?
That would be missing out all players from the great team we had under O'Leary, and of course Jermaine Beckford. No actual numbers come to mind though as I've never taken much notice of all that! It is noticeable though that many of the players frequently spoken about as among the best ever are 10s (without question that title belongs to Lionel Messi by the way).
alwaysleeds
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by alwaysleeds »

You even have these numbers, from squad 2002-2003:

1 - Nigel Martyn
2 - Garry Kelly
3 - Ian Harte
4 - Olivier Dacourt
5 - Lucas Radebe
6 - Jonathan Woodgate
7 - Robbie Keane
8 - Michael Bridges
9 - Mark Viduka
10 - Harry Kewell
11 - Ian Bowyer
11 - Raul Bravo
12 - Nick Barmby
13 - Paul Robinson
14 - Stephen McPhail
15 - Teddy Lucic
16 - Jason Wilcox
17 - Alan Smith
18 - Danny Mills
19 - Eirik Bakke
20 - Seth johnson
21 - Dominic Matteo
22 - Michael Duberry
23 - David Batty
24 - Paul Okon
25 - Jacob Burns
26 - Danny Milosevic
27 - Robbie Fowler
28 - Jamie McMaster
32 - Harpal Singh
34 - Frazer Richardson
35 - Shane Cansdell-Sherriff
36 - Matt Kilgallon
37 - Paul Keegan
38 - James Milner
39 - Simon Johnson
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

We seem to be leaving it very late in the transfer window to buy a centre forward, surely we won’t make the same almost disastrous mistake of last season.
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Shadwell White wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 10:51 We seem to be leaving it very late in the transfer window to buy a centre forward, surely we won’t make the same almost disastrous mistake of last season.
.........which was what? Please remind me :think:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

PhoenixUnited wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 14:04
Shadwell White wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 10:51 We seem to be leaving it very late in the transfer window to buy a centre forward, surely we won’t make the same almost disastrous mistake of last season.

Presumably Shadwell means not having enough depth in key positions to be able to ride out an injury crisis, let alone to improve. I very much agree - although clearly squad depth is much better this season, we're a Rodders dry spell and Bamford injury away from having to play 20 year old Joffy or Dan James up front, which I personally think is far too high a risk given this is the season we're supposed to be kicking on. I don't think we will be signing anybody up front of at LB, but I really wish we would.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leonickroberts wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 15:11
PhoenixUnited wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 14:04

Presumably Shadwell means not having enough depth in key positions to be able to ride out an injury crisis, let alone to improve. I very much agree - although clearly squad depth is much better this season, we're a Rodders dry spell and Bamford injury away from having to play 20 year old Joffy or Dan James up front, which I personally think is far too high a risk given this is the season we're supposed to be kicking on. I don't think we will be signing anybody up front of at LB, but I really wish we would.
In theory we have 3 players for one attacking position given the formation Jesse is playing, what other positions do we have 4 players for.
Yes Paddy's injury is a concern but last season we had virtually all our CBs out together but I don't see us crying out for 8 CB's.
I think to bring a striker in we need to either sell Paddy or Rodders (or put Joffy out on loan) otherwise it would just be a increase in the wage bill never mind the issue of keeping them all happy.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

Other than the three teams that were relegated only Brighton scored less goals than us and they conceded nearly half of what we did.
I think we look ok at the back and in midfield but if Patrick has another injury riddled season in my opinion we are short upfront.
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

Radrizzani has just tweeted - Let s welcome Bamba Dieng and we will continue to work on Gapko. Now it s time to focus on the pitch and support our new project and the great job Jesse and the staff are doing 💪💛💙
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Gakpo is off. Talksport have aman in the airport in Holland who said he saw the Leeds delegation leave, alone