2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by saihtam »

Why are we not into Reguilon?
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

West beach white wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 08:28
Barlow Boy wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 22:42
West beach white wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 22:35 Is pascal Struijk becoming the best left back at the club. I've been very impressed with him so far. I'll admit I was concerned about his lack of pace playing there.
Absolutely not, he is doing exceptional work there, but eventually it will catch us out.

Pascal is NOT a left back.
So you think firpo is a better option ?
Or someone else?

Thought Pascal was excellent yesterday Chelsea were much more dangerous down our right than our left.
Actually think having someone more solid behind him is allowing Jack to play better.
Also think Pascal's forward play isn't as bad as some make out but of course its not natural for him.
Definitely helps having 3 CBs in the team when defending set pieces imho, Chelsea had a few corners but never thought they would score from them we did well in that area.
Also got to mention the headed clearance (when he got injured) was fantastic defending, think the Chelsea lad may have scored with a smaller fb as he had the running jump.

All that though long term he is a CB.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

awost1 wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 10:47 I mean, you could ask him to take a cut and offer to resell in a summer if the player desires to increase wage and we aren’t willing to meet. The word is Pulisic wants game time to play into form for the WC. What better place to do so than with 2 other starting XI USMNT players? I think the pitch to the player is arguably the simplest part here. It’s a take it or leave it pitch and we certainly have playing time for someone of that quality.
I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that his position is where we're currently most stacked, so it wouldn't be a nailed on starting spot unless the club promised him that he'd be displacing Harrison (who needs a new contract) Sinisterra or Aaronson (new big-money signings), Rodrigo (highest-paid player in top form), Bamford (still the first choice striker).
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Polkadot

Post by Polkadot »

saihtam wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 11:05 Why are we not into Reguilon?
I think Reguilon is a good player, but I'm not sure if he is actually a step up from Firpo.
You could probably argue that Firpos performances in Betis and Barcelona are not worse than what Reguilon did at Real and Tottenham.
They are quite similar as players in the way that both of them are better attacking than defensively. They both get involved nicely in attacking play down the left, but they both struggle 1 on 1 and positioning wise in defense. If we are to bring in a first choice LB I would prefer a much more "safe" choice than Reguilon.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

West beach white wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 08:28
Barlow Boy wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 22:42
West beach white wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 22:35 Is pascal Struijk becoming the best left back at the club. I've been very impressed with him so far. I'll admit I was concerned about his lack of pace playing there.
Absolutely not, he is doing exceptional work there, but eventually it will catch us out.

Pascal is NOT a left back.
So you think firpo is a better option ?
Or someone else?
I’d like us to have two options for LB, Firpo and getting someone in during this window. As mentioned elsewhere, I don’t like moving Dallas to LB, I prefer him in midfield.

As I said, Pascal is doing a great job, but he’s not a LB by trade. He is the best we have for now, as Firpo is injured, but long term he is not the answer for me. Just my opinion of course.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Polkadot

Post by Polkadot »

Barlow Boy wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 14:47 I’d like us to have two options for LB, Firpo and getting someone in during this window. As mentioned elsewhere, I don’t like moving Dallas to LB, I prefer him in midfield.
I wonder how much game time Dallas will get when he comes back. If Adams and Roca is fit I don't see Dallas get a starting position in midfield. He will be extremely important as sub and to cover (together with Forshaw) if/when Adams and Roca are suspended or injured.
Polkadot

Post by Polkadot »

awost1 wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 02:15 Sorry chaps, but this is a bad take. If Christian put on our shirt, he’d instantly be the most technically gifted and creative player we have. I actually think this would be an incredibly astute buy. He fits our age profile and allows us to play Harrison on the left, pulisic in the middle, aaronson on the right, and rodrigo/bamford up top. Upgrading from Dan James to Pulisic would be a huge increase in quality, and moves aaronson back to his natural spot. I love the kid, but he’s not a CAM. Pulisic is a much better fit as the 10.
This is a surprising take to me.
From what I've seen everyone seems to think Aaronson is better centrally than out on the right wing, many even suggesting he is even better a bit deeper. Yes, he is very competent out right but I don't quite understand why you would say that's his natural spot? Looking at his positional stats from Salzburg, USNT and New York it seems to me that he's mostly been playing centrally but also a quite bit out left in a bit more narrow role than traditional winger. It seems like he's not been playing much at all out right before he came to Leeds.

Also Pulisic seems to have played mostly out wide, left or right, both for Chelsea, USNT and Dortmund. It seems like the national team prefers Pulisic out wide and Aaronson in a more central role. I don't know why they do that if it's obvious to put Aaronson out wide and Pulisic as number 10.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Polkadot wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 15:24
Barlow Boy wrote: 22 Aug 2022, 14:47 I’d like us to have two options for LB, Firpo and getting someone in during this window. As mentioned elsewhere, I don’t like moving Dallas to LB, I prefer him in midfield.
I wonder how much game time Dallas will get when he comes back. If Adams and Roca is fit I don't see Dallas get a starting position in midfield. He will be extremely important as sub and to cover (together with Forshaw) if/when Adams and Roca are suspended or injured.
I never really see Dallas as a defensive midfielder like Adams and Roca, I have him further forward in my mind.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

From my vantage, Pulisic and Aaronson are both better on the wing. Neither is a natural no. 10 and I don't believe we have one at the club at the moment. Not the end of the world as we've managed without, and I believe there are higher priorities than Pulisic. At this point, I think I'm okay with simply adding LB and CF depth, but I certainly wouldn't mind adding a De Ketelaere or Reyna level talent at CAM :)
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

On the BBC Gossip page this morning
Tottenham are interested in signing 24-year-old Leeds and Wales forward Daniel James. (Alan Nixon, via Leeds Live)