2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Leonickroberts wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:15
Another Northern Soul wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:44
Selby White wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:06 Perhaps describing the role the player takes is better than using numbers which is a little stereotype when teams nowadays are much more flexible with players rotating roles.
To be honest as a child of the Revie era the No10 to me is Johnny Giles not the 2nd attacker or as many use it for a attacking midfielder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe using numbers to describe roles is more a continental thing than British.

Thought Klich did great last night with the 43 on his back ;)
:clap: :lol:

In Johnny Giles's day, and he's said the same since many times, there was no such thing as 'defensive' or 'attacking' midfielders, if you were a midfielder then you did, basically, everything, perhaps with the exception of being an aerial threat. Jargonising, seems to needlessly complicate what should be a simple topic of conversation, and describing a role just by shirt number must be misleading for recent arrival fans to the game.
I agree ANS, but the game has changed, and I'm not sure that the all-rounder applies any more than the numbers do in the modern game. For example, Bielsa said that wing-backs are effectively just wingers with a bit more of a defensive remit, while players like Adams are clearly very defensively-minded midfielders, likewise Xabi Alonso or Kanté. Obviously adaptability is a strength, but some players are definitely at their best in certain positions.
The game hasn't actually changed though, Leo, it's still 11 v 11 and the aim to score more goals than the opponent :angel:
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Another Northern Soul wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:28
Leonickroberts wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:15
Another Northern Soul wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:44
Selby White wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:06 Perhaps describing the role the player takes is better than using numbers which is a little stereotype when teams nowadays are much more flexible with players rotating roles.
To be honest as a child of the Revie era the No10 to me is Johnny Giles not the 2nd attacker or as many use it for a attacking midfielder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe using numbers to describe roles is more a continental thing than British.

Thought Klich did great last night with the 43 on his back ;)
:clap: :lol:

In Johnny Giles's day, and he's said the same since many times, there was no such thing as 'defensive' or 'attacking' midfielders, if you were a midfielder then you did, basically, everything, perhaps with the exception of being an aerial threat. Jargonising, seems to needlessly complicate what should be a simple topic of conversation, and describing a role just by shirt number must be misleading for recent arrival fans to the game.
I agree ANS, but the game has changed, and I'm not sure that the all-rounder applies any more than the numbers do in the modern game. For example, Bielsa said that wing-backs are effectively just wingers with a bit more of a defensive remit, while players like Adams are clearly very defensively-minded midfielders, likewise Xabi Alonso or Kanté. Obviously adaptability is a strength, but some players are definitely at their best in certain positions.
The game hasn't actually changed though, Leo, it's still 11 v 11 and the aim to score more goals than the opponent :angel:
True, but now we have 5 subs from a bench of 9, and we have computers telling us when the ball has crossed the line or a player's arm has crept offside! I'm a purist (I love the idea that the game could be the same at both elite and grassroots levels), but the game evolves like language, and that includes tactics and positions. Imagine trying to convince Revie to play with a false 9 or a trequartista :D
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
awost1
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by awost1 »

I think some numbers have simply become somewhat iconic (particularly 9 and 10, and to a lesser extent 6) in the way they are used so they continue to be mainstream parlance even as roles have evolved.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

awost1 wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:48 I think some numbers have simply become somewhat iconic (particularly 9 and 10, and to a lesser extent 6) in the way they are used so they continue to be mainstream parlance even as roles have evolved.
Think I agree Awost. Everyone does everything, but 9s might theoretically do more of scoring goals, 10s might do more creating, but also score some, 2s and 3s are (at least notionally) be on the team sheet a RB and LB or RWB and LWB, 6s might do a lot of running but tend to sit deeper. Lots of exceptions though - Firmino and Giroud play like 9s but their primary job hasn't been to score goals, for example.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Reading this thread it's clear some numbers mean different things to different generations although agree some haven't changed such as no9 always been the Centre forward.

However as Clubs nowadays use squad numbers rather than a simple 1 to 11 it seems to make sense describing the role.
As was stated earlier Klich wears 43 yet described as no10 while another player is wearing no10 (Summerville) .
I know its a football forum but we all from different generations but imagine explaining the game to a non fan using numbers.
Tell them "our attacking midfielder is our no10"
They reply "but the lad on the right is no10"
You say "no he's no7"
And so on.

It's not netball or rugby union the only sports I can think of where positions are either named or numbered on the players backs.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

8 & 10 = Inside Right and Inside Left, no? :angel:
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

And Brazil won the 1970 World Cup with five #10's as far as the club roles went - Jairzinho, Pelé, Gérson, Tostão and Rivelino
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Numbers to be associated with players (In my mind anyway! :D ):
1 - Gordon Banks
2 - Cafu
3 - Paolo Maldini
3 - Roberto Carlos
5 - Franz Beckenbauer
6 - Franco Baresi
6 - Bobby Moore
7 - George Best
7 - Christiano Ronaldo
7 - Kevin Keegan
7 - Kenny Dalglish
9 - Ronaldo (Brazil)
9 - Bobby Charlton
9 - Alan Shearer
10 - Pele
10 - Diego Maradona
10 - Lionel Messi
10 - Alessandro Del Piero
10 - Zico
10 - Dennis Bergkamp
10 - Zinedine Zidane
10 - Ronaldinho
11 - Romario
13- Gerd Muller
14 - Johann Cruyff
I'm sure others will have their own ideas......... :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

PhoenixUnited wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 15:02 Numbers to be associated with players (In my mind anyway! :D ):
1 - Gordon Banks
2 - Cafu
3 - Paolo Maldini
3 - Roberto Carlos
5 - Franz Beckenbauer
6 - Franco Baresi
6 - Bobby Moore
7 - George Best
7 - Christiano Ronaldo
7 - Kevin Keegan
7 - Kenny Dalglish
9 - Ronaldo (Brazil)
9 - Bobby Charlton
9 - Alan Shearer
10 - Pele
10 - Diego Maradona
10 - Lionel Messi
10 - Alessandro Del Piero
10 - Zico
10 - Dennis Bergkamp
10 - Zinedine Zidane
10 - Ronaldinho
11 - Romario
13- Gerd Muller
14 - Johann Cruyff
Not one Leeds player, what is going on, man??? :D

I'm jesting a bit of course, but I guarantee I'm not alone with this thinking of numbers and picturing Leeds players.

1 - obviously it's any goalkeeper as they are the only number 1 shirt - unless someone knows differently :thumbup:
2 Paul Reaney
3 Terry Cooper
4 Billy Bremner
5 Jack Charlton or G McQ
6 Norman Hunter
7 Peter Lorimer
8 Allan Clarke
9 Mick Jones
10 John Giles
11 Eddie Gray
any number could be Paul Madeley, too
inc 12 which for me is probably Mick Bates.

And later years, most of the numbers would belong to Wilko's 1992 first eleven as well.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PhoenixUnited wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 15:02 Numbers to be associated with players (In my mind anyway! :D ):

7 - George Best

Surprising fact is Best played most games with the No11 shirt (246), only played 141 times as a No7.
Willie Morgan played right wing and got the No7 in lots of games for Man utd.
Best was usually left wing when he played against us, not that you noticed him as Reaney had him in his pocket.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.