2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Polkadot »

PC71 wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:19 However, at the prices being quoted for Italian international Gnonto, I think he is the kind of investment that could be worth doing.
Hard to disagree with this. A soon to be 19 year old with about 75 senior matches (most of them as a sub to be fair, but that's expected at this age) at club level and already and 4 caps for Italy to his name. He seems to be extremely versatile also, can play up front, as a number 10 and both wings. I can't find him playing as a traditional lone striker, which makes sense given he's only 1 cm taller than Leo Messi, so in our system I expect him to be most useful behind a striker.
If he really is availible for about 7-8m £ I think that would be a bargain. From what i can find it seems Zurich only paid 200k for him when he joined from Inter, so a fee around 7-8m is good business for them also, given he's onto his last 12 months of the contract.
I don't think signing Gnonto or not will have a huge impact on our result this season, but it's a signing that would excite me.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Polkadot wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:40
PC71 wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:19 However, at the prices being quoted for Italian international Gnonto, I think he is the kind of investment that could be worth doing.
Hard to disagree with this. A soon to be 19 year old with about 75 senior matches (most of them as a sub to be fair, but that's expected at this age) at club level and already and 4 caps for Italy to his name. He seems to be extremely versatile also, can play up front, as a number 10 and both wings. I can't find him playing as a traditional lone striker, which makes sense given he's only 1 cm taller than Leo Messi, so in our system I expect him to be most useful behind a striker.
If he really is availible for about 7-8m £ I think that would be a bargain. From what i can find it seems Zurich only paid 200k for him when he joined from Inter, so a fee around 7-8m is good business for them also, given he's onto his last 12 months of the contract.
I don't think signing Gnonto or not will have a huge impact on our result this season, but it's a signing that would excite me.
Yep agree with this, the longer plot from Polkadot the only bit I would disagree with is the sentiment he should be loaned out. I actually think he'd be great to have on the bench, looks like he is quite creative so can provide us something different in a 10 role if our usual formation (which doesn't have a 10) isn't working. Always good to have different options on the bench. People before said he may stunt Joffys development but to me they could be different players. If they are seen as the same then you get him in at a bargain, assess if he's better than Joffy then loan Joffy out if so.

Football is ruthless and there's no room for sentiment IMO so if he is better than what we have you go with him.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

HalifaxWhite wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:54 looks like he is quite creative so can provide us something different in a 10 role if our usual formation (which doesn't have a 10) isn't working.
Wait, how does our usual formation doesn't have a 10 role?
How will you describe the attacking role behind the striker, which Rodrigo played in game 1 and 2 behind Bamford and Aaronson played behind Rodrigo against Chelsea and Klich played behind Gelhardt yesterday?
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Polkadot wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 09:07
HalifaxWhite wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:54 looks like he is quite creative so can provide us something different in a 10 role if our usual formation (which doesn't have a 10) isn't working.
Wait, how does our usual formation doesn't have a 10 role?
How will you describe the attacking role behind the striker, which Rodrigo played in game 1 and 2 behind Bamford and Aaronson played behind Rodrigo against Chelsea and Klich played behind Gelhardt yesterday?
I'd say that's more of an advanced 8 (in front of two 6s) than a classic 10 - a 10 would rarely be as box-to-box as Aaronson or Klich. Tbh I can't remember the last time we had a classic 10 in the squad. Positions are so varied and nuanced these days that maybe this is all moot, but bringing Klich on against Wolves was a good example of how a subtle change in the player type (in that case a more box-to-box than advanced 8) can change a game, even if on paper both players are CM/AMC.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Perhaps describing the role the player takes is better than using numbers which is a little stereotype when teams nowadays are much more flexible with players rotating roles.
To be honest as a child of the Revie era the No10 to me is Johnny Giles not the 2nd attacker or as many use it for a attacking midfielder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe using numbers to describe roles is more a continental thing than British.

Thought Klich did great last night with the 43 on his back ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:06 Perhaps describing the role the player takes is better than using numbers which is a little stereotype when teams nowadays are much more flexible with players rotating roles.
To be honest as a child of the Revie era the No10 to me is Johnny Giles not the 2nd attacker or as many use it for a attacking midfielder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but believe using numbers to describe roles is more a continental thing than British.

:clap: :lol:

In Johnny Giles's day, and he's said the same since many times, there was no such thing as 'defensive' or 'attacking' midfielders, if you were a midfielder then you did, basically, everything, perhaps with the exception of being an aerial threat. Jargonising, seems to needlessly complicate what should be a simple topic of conversation, and describing a role just by shirt number must be misleading for recent arrival fans to the game.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Another Northern Soul wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:44
Selby White wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:06 Perhaps describing the role the player takes is better than using numbers which is a little stereotype when teams nowadays are much more flexible with players rotating roles.

In Johnny Giles's day, and he's said the same since many times, there was no such thing as 'defensive' or 'attacking' midfielders, if you were a midfielder then you did, basically, everything, perhaps with the exception of being an aerial threat. Jargonising, seems to needlessly complicate what should be a simple topic of conversation, and describing a role just by shirt number must be misleading for recent arrival fans to the game.
I agree ANS, but the game has changed, and I'm not sure that the all-rounder applies any more than the numbers do in the modern game. For example, Bielsa said that wing-backs are effectively just wingers with a bit more of a defensive remit, while players like Adams are clearly very defensively-minded midfielders, likewise Xabi Alonso or Kanté. Obviously adaptability is a strength, but some players are definitely at their best in certain positions.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Bring back my days of simple the 4-3-3 formation :D

Full Backs wore 2 and 3

Centre Back 4
Sweeper 5

Midfield left to right were 6, 8, 10

Left Wing 11
Centre forward 9
Right Wing 7

Corresponding midfield + forward positions always added to 17, e.g. Centre Mid 8 + Centre Forward 9

Every player man-marked 1 person. Simple, but some right battles ensued when you were on the same guy all match :crazy:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

kk white wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:16 Bring back my days of simple the 4-3-3 formation :D

Full Backs wore 2 and 3

Centre Back 4
Sweeper 5

Midfield left to right were 6, 8, 10

Left Wing 11
Centre forward 9
Right Wing 7

Corresponding midfield + forward positions always added to 17, e.g. Centre Mid 8 + Centre Forward 9

Every player man-marked 1 person. Simple, but some right battles ensued when you were on the same guy all match :crazy:
It's a good point KK it's all a generation thing for me the midfielders were 4 (Bremner) & 10 (Giles)
8 was your 2nd striker (Clarke).

Ive done a football (basic level) coaching course a long time back (80s) and strangely numbers relating to positions were not used. Not sure if anyone has done one more recent to tell us if that has changed.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leonickroberts wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:15
Another Northern Soul wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:44

I agree ANS, but the game has changed, and I'm not sure that the all-rounder applies any more than the numbers do in the modern game. For example, Bielsa said that wing-backs are effectively just wingers with a bit more of a defensive remit, while players like Adams are clearly very defensively-minded midfielders, likewise Xabi Alonso or Kanté. Obviously adaptability is a strength, but some players are definitely at their best in certain positions.
Think that confirms the point, Bielsa described the role not the number.
Roles change as the game evolves simple as that.