Thanks Kalvin

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Thanks Kalvin

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Scott wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
Scott wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Okay.

I never saw John Charles or Bobby Collins play but they are still out and out legends for me and every sensible Leeds fan regardless of age.

I saw Kalvin play quite a lot of times and ALWAYS backed him even when others were less 'obliging' (plenty thought he was inferior to Vieira). He absolutely has helped us get promotion and then finish a very creditable 9th in the first season and now he's chosen to leave Leeds and potentially spend the bulk of his career at a rival club.
Ok, so you seem to have an issue with the fact he’s chosen to leave the club and play elsewhere at the age of 26?
An issue? No, it's his choice, I don't like it but that's football. I don't think a 'legend' would do it, it's a word/description that is used too cheaply.
Fair enough. Just out of interest, at what age did John Charles choose to leave Leeds to join Juventus?
Well, John had to be sold as the club had under-insured the old West Stand and it burned down in September 1956. I think he was coming up to his 26th birthday anyway, most of the fee we got for him was spent on the new West Stand.
Assume that was considered when choosing which stand would carry his name.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Just to add too that when Charles was a player here, the maximum wage of £20 per week for football players was in force so even if had CHOSEN to leave Leeds (he didn't) there's a bit of a difference compared to now.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I was reading a book the other day (yes, I do sometimes) and it mentioned why do we usually call players by their surnames, Bamford, Harrison, James etc, but we say Kalvin (not Phillips).

Not even crossed my mind previously, but it’s true.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:I was reading a book the other day (yes, I do sometimes) and it mentioned why do we usually call players by their surnames, Bamford, Harrison, James etc, but we say Kalvin (not Phillips).

Not even crossed my mind previously, but it’s true.
Don't think it's anything too significant just those with rare names like Kalvin.
Bambam is often referred to as Paddy but if you use Jack (Harrison ) you could be talking about Jack Clarke.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote: if you use Jack (Harrison ) you could be talking about Jack Clarke.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote: if you use Jack (Harrison ) you could be talking about Jack Clarke.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Not the best example but the point is we've had more than one Jack perhaps Charlton would have been a better example. Up to date we of course have Jack Jenkins in the U23's.

Kalvin as far as I can recall is the only player we have ever had with that Christian name.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I think it's a personality thing. If someone comes across as a likeable person we either call them by their first name or shorten / change their surname. Sometimes it may just be easier than using their surname.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I think that because Kalvin Phillips is a Leeds boy, we feel a closer relationship of sorts to him, like we know him in a personal way because there was a sense of him truly representing us. Hence why we tend to refer to him by his first name, unlike some of the other players.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

All my life I've called players by their surnames, unless I actually know them which is obviously a rarity. Only if I met Phillips would I call him Kalvin, it's just how it is and always has been. I haven't really thought about it much but whenever anyone calls a player by his first name I usually ask why, is it because they know him? Any friends or colleagues etc, I much prefer calling them by their first names rather than their surname, it just feels friendlier.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Im not a kid anymore and dont idoliseringen players like before, but Kalvin was my favorite and even if I don’t like the oil money I wish him all the best at City. In a way I’m looking forward to see him play together with Haaland. In another parallel universe where certain things had turned out differently the last 20 years, they could’ve been playing together in Leeds kit…

And now that Kalvin is not a Leeds player anymore I can say that I will not miss his stupid haircut :lol: