Thanks Kalvin

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Thanks Kalvin

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Definitely not a legend a good lad who’s chasing his dream. He was partially responsible for getting us back to the Premiership and for that I’ll always be grateful.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Phillips - like all the main men of Bielsa's team - are all definitely legends to me. I understand the sentiment not being harboured by people who saw Revie's and Wilkinson's teams, but I didn't, so this is, or was, the iconic team to me; at least currently.

Therefore, Phillips leaves with a great deal of affection from me. I hope he does well at City, before he returns to Leeds in a few seasons.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Scott
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Scott »

SiMamu wrote:Phillips - like all the main men of Bielsa's team - are all definitely legends to me. I understand the sentiment not being harboured by people who saw Revie's and Wilkinson's teams, but I didn't, so this is, or was, the iconic team to me; at least currently.

Therefore, Phillips leaves with a great deal of affection from me. I hope he does well at City, before he returns to Leeds in a few seasons.
This, 100%. I’m too young to remember either of those teams, so this was the team that got us back into the Prem and they’ll always hold a special place. The lynchpin of that team is absolutely a legend. Can’t wait to watch him on the biggest stage, even though it’s not with us.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Okay.

I never saw John Charles or Bobby Collins play but they are still out and out legends for me and every sensible Leeds fan regardless of age.

I saw Kalvin play quite a lot of times and ALWAYS backed him even when others were less 'obliging' (plenty thought he was inferior to Vieira). He absolutely has helped us get promotion and then finish a very creditable 9th in the first season and now he's chosen to leave Leeds and potentially spend the bulk of his career at a rival club.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Okay.

I never saw John Charles or Bobby Collins play but they are still out and out legends for me and every sensible Leeds fan regardless of age.

I saw Kalvin play quite a lot of times and ALWAYS backed him even when others were less 'obliging' (plenty thought he was inferior to Vieira). He absolutely has helped us get promotion and then finish a very creditable 9th in the first season and now he's chosen to leave Leeds and potentially spend the bulk of his career at a rival club.
Ok, so you seem to have an issue with the fact he’s chosen to leave the club and play elsewhere at the age of 26?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Scott wrote:

Ok, so you seem to have an issue with the fact he’s chosen to leave the club and play elsewhere at the age of 26?
An issue? No, it's his choice, I don't like it but that's football. I don't think a 'legend' would do it, it's a word/description that is used too cheaply.
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

It’s a strange feeling when the players and manager in which you’ve invested so much emotional energy, completely change. These changes seem to be so wholesale and I really don’t want us to be Salzberg or Atletico 2 and play narrow non expansive football. I know football is a results business, but following the crowd will make us mediocre.

Kalvin was the fulcrum of that Bielsa team, a Championship team that beat City (admittedly only once) and represents for me the passing of a small era (maybe an episode) when I really was so invested. He represented everything that made me proud of that team. I actually liked the majority of this team which is not something I can say about any Leeds team since probably Revie. The guy himself seems grounded and likeable. I hope he stays that way because that is what ultimately is important.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Tedbaker wrote:It’s a strange feeling when the players and manager in which you’ve invested so much emotional energy, completely change. These changes seem to be so wholesale and I really don’t want us to be Salzberg or Atletico 2 and play narrow non expansive football. I know football is a results business, but following the crowd will make us mediocre.

Kalvin was the fulcrum of that Bielsa team, a Championship team that beat City (admittedly only once) and represents for me the passing of a small era (maybe an episode) when I really was so invested. He represented everything that made me proud of that team. I actually liked the majority of this team which is not something I can say about any Leeds team since probably Revie. The guy himself seems grounded and likeable. I hope he stays that way because that is what ultimately is important.
:clap: 8-) :thumbup:
Scott

Post by Scott »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Scott wrote:

An issue? No, it's his choice, I don't like it but that's football. I don't think a 'legend' would do it, it's a word/description that is used too cheaply.
Fair enough. Just out of interest, at what age did John Charles choose to leave Leeds to join Juventus?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Scott wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
Scott wrote:

Fair enough. Just out of interest, at what age did John Charles choose to leave Leeds to join Juventus?
Well, John had to be sold as the club had under-insured the old West Stand and it burned down in September 1956. I think he was coming up to his 26th birthday anyway, most of the fee we got for him was spent on the new West Stand.