Wisdom Teeth - Give Me Your Horror Stories!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Wisdom Teeth - Give Me Your Horror Stories!

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Went to the dentist with a bit of pain in my back teeth, came out discovering I had impacted wisdom teeth. Had an x-ray and one was so horizontal and out of place it's pressing on the nerve along the jaw (that controls sensation in the bottom lip) and is pushing against the root of the molar next to it. Due to the x-ray showing the one tooth so close to the nerve they sent me for a CT scan to get a 3d image and figure out how hard it will be to operate. Like some kind of farcical joke, the dentist looking at my CT scan is like "no wonder you are in discomfort look at the size of this 'mass' under your wisdom tooth" - on the other side! This process takes a week and in the meantime I get an infection in the one that's pressing on the nerve so have had "kick in the nuts" level pain any time anything touches it.

So I went into the dentist with mild tooth pain, came out of the process a week later in agony, with an infection, needing surgery to remove two wisdom teeth and to clear out and biopsy what might be a tumor (is probably just a cyst - I'm not too worried about that, if it turns out to be something sinister I'll worry about it then).

Surgery is booked for next Wednesday, if it wasn't so painful it would be funny.

So, tell me all your wisdom tooth removal stories and give me something to look forward to :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Wisdom Teeth - Give Me Your Horror Stories!

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ve just gone through two separate visits to the dentist having a crown fitted, and I hated every second, so this might not be my favourite thread for a while.

We do have a resident dentist amongst us, no doubt he will be along to offer his advice ;)
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Had my wisdom teeth out when I lived in the US, so back in the mid-90's. Over there they give you a general anasthetic and you wake minus wisdoms. I recall that my ex-wife and mother-in-law helped me into bed, even though it was 11 AM and continued to sleep it off. Had quite a lot of blood in my mouth, unsurprisingly, and insomnia for about a week. Also couldn't drink alcohol due to taking antibiotics. Can't say it was a particularly painful experience.

Good luck with it COP
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I haven't got any - horror stories or wisdom teeth! I'm special, me :D
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Still got mine so thankfully no horror stories from me!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Good luck with the surgery COP.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Wisdom. probably explains why I don't have any. Best of luck hope all goes well for you.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Did you have the surgery yet ?
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Yeah, thanks for asking! It was brutal. I was on IV anesthetic and laughing gas, so conscious throughout. I can say that even with all that sedation it was literally brutal, a lot of force was applied with a lot of metal tools. One of the wisdom teeth was a bit of a struggle to remove apparently, so one side had a lot of violence done to it.

The swelling and bruising afterwards were off the charts. Five days later and I'm still on soft food and bashing the painkillers. I literally look like someone tried to strangle/hang me with a rope the bruising is that bad, right from the cheek down to below the collar bone on both sides and down the front of the throat. Videoconferencing with work is going to be amusing tomorrow.

Can't recommend it but hopefully on the mend now. Just waiting for the biopsy results, and then can move on :D
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Hope things work out for the best.