A couple of terms explained!

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Chilihead
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

A couple of terms explained!

Post by Chilihead »

The Yank needs a couple of terms/acronyms explained.

Who are the scum, and what is mot?

Thanks
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: A couple of terms explained!

Post by Mr Russell »

Chilihead wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 00:02 The Yank needs a couple of terms/acronyms explained.

Who are the scum, and what is mot?

Thanks
The scum are Manchester United (one of our major rivals).

MOT - Marching on Together is the Leeds United song which fans always sing and is played before every game at Elland Road. Basically it's our Anthem.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Chilihead
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Chilihead »

Thanks my friend.
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Glad you were brave enough to just ask, I am sure there's other new fans wondering similar things and it can be a bit intimidating to ask about something that seems to be common knowledge for everyone around you.

If any other new fans reading this have similar questions please go ahead and ask them, there's some lifelong fans on the forum who between them probably know every obscure fact about Leeds United you can think to ask about!
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

I’m a bit confused about the chant “Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again”. Sometimes it sounds like Leeds fans are singing it, but isn’t it a song made up by our opponents to mock us?

And yes, thanks to Chilihead for giving me a chance to ask about something, that I suppose I ought to know…
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

John Dane wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 18:32 I’m a bit confused about the chant “Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again”. Sometimes it sounds like Leeds fans are singing it, but isn’t it a song made up by our opponents to mock us?
And yes, thanks to Chilihead for giving me a chance to ask about something, that I suppose I ought to know…
It is the Leeds United fans singing that at times and it is meant to be ironic. Usually sung when the reality on the pitch is something different.
Perhaps paraphrased as "Really"? :D or flipping off the opposition fans in American parlance :lol:
Keep The Faith / WAL
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

John Dane wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 18:32 I’m a bit confused about the chant “Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again”. Sometimes it sounds like Leeds fans are singing it, but isn’t it a song made up by our opponents to mock us?

And sometimes it’s Leeds United players singing it…
just watched, once again, Take Us Home ”series” 2.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 17:44 Glad you were brave enough to just ask, I am sure there's other new fans wondering similar things and it can be a bit intimidating to ask about something that seems to be common knowledge for everyone around you.

If any other new fans reading this have similar questions please go ahead and ask them, there's some lifelong fans on the forum who between them probably know every obscure fact about Leeds United you can think to ask about!
Great point, well said COP :clap:

Any questions, just ask, I’m sure between us all we can find the answer.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

janecky wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 19:04

And sometimes it’s Leeds United players singing it…
just watched, once again, Take Us Home ”series” 2.
As Phoenix says, it’s usually sung against us by opposing fans when things are going wrong for us, but we turn the tables and sing it when things are going well.

For example, we were all signing it at Elland Road in our win against Chelsea
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

I think the chant became popular in the year we lost to Derby in the play offs in the first Bielsa season. Derby fans were chanting it as we fell apart in the 2nd leg when we lost. Now Leeds fans chant it ironically when we’re winning and sometimes the chant comes from the opposition fans when we’re not playing well. It seems to have stuck.