A couple of terms explained!

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: A couple of terms explained!

Post by Leonickroberts »

Selby White wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 08:23
Mr Russell wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 00:53
Chilihead wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 00:02 The Yank needs a couple of terms/acronyms explained.

Who are the scum, and what is mot?

Thanks
The scum are Manchester United (one of our major rivals).
The Scum name for Man Utd became popular in the late 70s when some Leeds fans had t-shirts specially made to wear at matches with the words "Manchester United Scum" on them.
There's also a chant which changes depending on the set of fans. We've been singing "We all love Leeds" for years, but Man Utd fans sing "We all hate Leeds, scum!", so often when we're playing each other it'll sound as thought the whole stadium is singing the same thing. Also highlights that they occasionally call us 'scum' too (although I think we do it to them a lot more).

And another bit of praise for actually asking the question in the first place - not easy to stick your head up in a chat forum and do this, but as others have said, I'm sure it'll be more than just you that learns something from this thread Chilihead!
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

I would never call any team ‘scum’ myself, even though we have been called worse over the years. However the Blunts, Sheffield Utd (nickname the blades) and the Dog Botherers, Huddersfield Town (nickname the Terriers) are saved by being quite humorous.

I am probably in a minority on this here though.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Wendies (Sheffield Wednesday)

Or instead of Scum, Manure for the abbreviated Man U
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Tedbaker wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 12:27 I would never call any team ‘scum’ myself, even though we have been called worse over the years. However the Blunts, Sheffield Utd (nickname the blades) and the Dog Botherers, Huddersfield Town (nickname the Terriers) are saved by being quite humorous.

You overlook the fact that most of use a capital s as a mark of respect, Ted, so it's Scum rather than plain scum :thumbup: :D
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

Another Northern Soul wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 13:46
Tedbaker wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 12:27 I would never call any team ‘scum’ myself, even though we have been called worse over the years. However the Blunts, Sheffield Utd (nickname the blades) and the Dog Botherers, Huddersfield Town (nickname the Terriers) are saved by being quite humorous.

You overlook the fact that most of use a capital s as a mark of respect, Ted, so it's Scum rather than plain scum :thumbup: :D
Ha - a subtlety I missed. Makes all the difference :)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Tedbaker wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 15:15
Another Northern Soul wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 13:46

Ha - a subtlety I missed. Makes all the difference :)
:lol:

I know a few people who now call Man City 'Scum light' due to their obscene spending. It's one way or the other but Southampton or Portsmouth fans call the others 'scum' as well. Bayern Munich are 'German Scum' and Chelsea are London Scum.

We are horrible many of us football fans :D
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Dirty Leeds our beloved Club is often referred to. And I'm proud of it as, I suspect, many, many of the more mature Leeds fans are. It is a badge of honour IMHO.
All stems back to the Revie era when Leeds United were ultra professional, quite different to their contemporaries, and essentially were beating all-comers for fun. (They also suffered dreadful luck at times nad it seemed that there were many occasions when they were hard done to by the "Authorities" - but all that is another few chapters on their own!) Anyway, the point is that the one comeback that opposition elements had was that we were only winners because we kicked teams off the park. The reality was that we could field more than one team of international players and we played them off the park and yes we did have tough tackling players and those that knew how to look after themselves and each other. Hard indeed they were and took no prisoners.
Keep The Faith / WAL
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

PhoenixUnited wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 16:05...Hard indeed they were and took no prisoners...
I always refer to several interviews that I heard with the brilliant Johnny Giles. He riles at the Dirty Leeds stereotype. Not that he's ashamed of it, but he rightly points to every team playing the same way in those days. You had to look after yourself on the pitch, because the ref wouldn't.

He points out that Match of the Day only showed highlights of 1 match per week back then and it was more often than not Leeds because they were so successful. Therefore the majority of the public saw the fights and cards involving Leeds more than anyone else, and so the 'Dirty' moniker stuck.

There was also the jealousy aspect - when people get sick of the same team winning, they look for reasons to complain about them.

Absolutely adore Johnny. Brilliant pundit and interviewee.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

'Dirty Leeds' first came about from 1964 after the FA's regular newsletter to all clubs published a league table of clubs' disciplinary records. Leeds were purportedly the worst offenders but the results involved ALL teams at each club and not just the first team. We'd had zero sendings off while, if I'm not mistaken, Scum had 5!
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Another Northern Soul wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 17:00 'Dirty Leeds' first came about from 1964 after the FA's regular newsletter to all clubs published a league table of clubs' disciplinary records. Leeds were purportedly the worst offenders but the results involved ALL teams at each club and not just the first team. We'd had zero sendings off while, if I'm not mistaken, Scum had 5!
That's a great bit of trivia ANS!
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’