A couple of terms explained!

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: A couple of terms explained!

Post by John Dane »

Thanks, it make sence now, I love the energy in our self-ironic use of the chant.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

The song is 'Love Will Tear us apart again', changing the words of course, Sung by the band, Joy Division, who ironically come from I think Salford, more or less Scum territory. After band's singer Ian Curtis committed suicide on the eve of their first US tour, the band initiated a pact between themselves that anybody leave the band they change their name, they became New Order.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Saxon wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 23:23 The song is 'Love Will Tear us apart again', changing the words of course, Sung by the band, Joy Division, who ironically come from I think Salford, more or less Scum territory. After band's singer Ian Curtis committed suicide on the eve of their first US tour, the band initiated a pact between themselves that anybody leave the band they change their name, they became New Order.
It might even be Macclesfield rather than Salford, Saxon, but you're right anyway - singer/guitarist Bernard Sumner and bassist Peter Hook were Scum fans from childhood. I was quite in to JD after buying the LWTUA single (posthumous to Curtis's death, I think) and had lots of rarities and bootlegs. I got really keen on New Order and they're the only band that I have seriously followed from their formation to the current day.

Not wanting to dispute who started singing it to us first or when, as Derby definitely milked it, but I think it might have even started with Huddersfield Town, the year before.

ps Scum used to sing it in adulation to their Wales superstar currently in court on charge of assault etc on his girlfriend and her sister, 'Giggs Will Tear You Apart' Again. Shouldn't laugh, should we?
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

We also sing WACCOE: "We are champions, champions of Europe" in reference to our European Cup, er, victory* over Bayern Munich.

*records will show, incorrectly, that we lost this game.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Chilli are you aware we are the only football team in the world to have a “salute” this is usually performed when 2 Leeds fans meet each other heres Luke Ayling demonstrating said salute.

As others have rightly said any questions any one has please just ask no one will think any less about you.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

As for the Leeds are falling apart again I’m pretty sure it started life as a Sheffield Wednesday chant & Leeds fans borrowed it. It’s more often sung by our own fans.
Winner of the Europa League
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

WAL: We are Leeds
Keep The Faith / WAL
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 07:20 As for the Leeds are falling apart again I’m pretty sure it started life as a Sheffield Wednesday chant & Leeds fans borrowed it. It’s more often sung by our own fans.
That sounds more likely than Hudders :thumbup:
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

ALAW - All Leeds Aren't We
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 00:53
Chilihead wrote: 23 Aug 2022, 00:02 The Yank needs a couple of terms/acronyms explained.

Who are the scum, and what is mot?

Thanks
The scum are Manchester United (one of our major rivals).
The Scum name for Man Utd became popular in the late 70s when some Leeds fans had t-shirts specially made to wear at matches with the words "Manchester United Scum" on them.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.