Getting a play-off place

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Getting a play-off place

Post by johnh »

Inform Aston Villa lost, at home, 3 - 1 to Reading.
I once played against Don Revie.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

johnh wrote:Inform Aston Villa lost, at home, 3 - 1 to Reading.
Villa are already on the beach, not expecting them to do us any favours.
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by judy »

Clarke One Nil wrote:Have I got this right?

To get a play-off place, we have to make sure that Wednesday and Fulham don’t both overtake us. It doesn’t matter if one of them does.
Well that's the first condition blown away today!

Does this squad have the fight to win the next 3 games? Burton are no mugs and will need to win to make sure they stay in the Championship. Norwich have found some form and Wigan may also need the win to stay up as well. No easy games I'm afraid.

Personally, I think they've blown it. Reading, Sheff Weds and Fulham have all got momentum and form now and we have been going backwards. Whatever happened after we beat Brighton? Did we think we just had to turn up to beat whatever opposition we faced? The rot certainly set in after the last international break.

Let's see if GM really has got what it takes because it will need something pretty special to happen from hereon in for us to get back into the play-offs.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

TBF though Judy, saying 'blown it' implies the players have achieved nothing by being in the mix which isn't the case, this lot have achieved near miracles to be there IMHO. Anyway, I'm surprised that it looks likely to go to the last game now, I thought we'd have had the PO's wrapped up by now.

We'll be back I think, I don't think we're good enough to actually go up but then again the PO's are something of a lottery. Here's hoping. Now Newcastle United, if they miss out then that's what I'd call blowing it! :D
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Struggling to find a positive regarding yesterday. Clutching at straws but only thing that I can come up with is that team and management must realise that nothing short of their A game is going to be good enough between now and end of season. Burton are battling relegation so if we don't turn up there then it could be curtains . On the plus side if Monk and team do turn it around then we will be better prepared for the battle that will be a play off decider. Let's be honest the form of the last few weeks was worrying and not likely to get us promoted.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

Next season will be our year
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

1964white wrote:Next season will be our year
Funny, but I was thinking that myself last night after the game.

We could do a Brighton and come back stronger for the experience.
I think the league could be wide open next year too as the teams coming down aren't all that.
Swansea will be in disarray and could do a Fulham/Wigan and take three years to reorganise, while Sunderland are dreadful and will need to turn over most of their ageing squad. 'Boro are decent at this level but no better than the likes of Derby, Villa and the teams around us right now.

With Monk in charge - and hopefully a proper contract for him - and provided we sign up Bartley and Jansson, I think we'll be there or thereabouts.
Deleted User 3150

Post by Deleted User 3150 »

If we don't get up this year (which looks like it will need a miracle now) I can see us being without Monk, Bartley and Janssen next year.

We would need to start virtually from scratch and it seems unlikely we would be able to replicate this seasons challenge.

I hope we can do it this year but it will require a 'let's go for it' approach and a change of formation from Monk.

Is he brave enough for this, which should have happened for the Wolves game.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Why do you think Monk would leave ??

He's at a huge club, got 100% backing from the fans, will hopefully be backed by the board and given funds to get us up and well on the way to being a club legend already.
How could he possibly leave us ?? :D
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

whiteinfrance wrote:If we don't get up this year (which looks like it will need a miracle now) I can see us being without Monk, Bartley and Janssen next year.

We would need to start virtually from scratch and it seems unlikely we would be able to replicate this seasons challenge.

I hope we can do it this year but it will require a 'let's go for it' approach and a change of formation from Monk.

Is he brave enough for this, which should have happened for the Wolves game.
You are giving me nightmares and i'm not even asleep. :D Providing Monk gets the assurances he requires during the summer re- transfers I don't think he would leave. That's the only concern for me though, I don't think for one minute that Barrow, and Pedraza were anywhere near is first and second choice signings in January?