Bielsa v Marsch

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Bielsa v Marsch

Post by DominanceUK »

I feel for JM, the guy is on a hiding to nothing. Felt for MB too. Blame the board and more importantly the players
Scott
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Scott »

Selby White wrote:
Polkadot wrote: We were 18th after the loss against Spurs which got Bielsa sacked.
Just to keep it factual you have it wrong I believe we were 16th after the Spurs game.
Leeds 23pts
Everton 22pts
Burnley 21pts

Both had two games in hand but lost their next two games so still 16th after the losses to Villa & Leicester under Marsch.

We were in the bottom 3 in August on GD after first game of season, today's is first time since.
This is incorrect as well I think. As far as I can see, we were also in the bottom three on October 30th, with only one win from 9 games.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Scott wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Polkadot wrote: We were 18th after the loss against Spurs which got Bielsa sacked.
Just to keep it factual you have it wrong I believe we were 16th after the Spurs game.
Leeds 23pts
Everton 22pts
Burnley 21pts

Both had two games in hand but lost their next two games so still 16th after the losses to Villa & Leicester under Marsch.

We were in the bottom 3 in August on GD after first game of season, today's is first time since.
This is incorrect as well I think. As far as I can see, we were also in the bottom three on October 30th, with only one win from 9 games.
You are correct Scott as we played last in that round of fixtures I missed that, I'd only looked at the table after each weekend (round of fixtures). Apologies wasn't trying to mislead.
Burnley won on Saturday 30th Oct to move above us on goal difference overnight. We didn't play until Sunday when we won at Norwich to move back above them.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Scott
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Scott »

Selby White wrote:
Scott wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Leeds 23pts
Everton 22pts
Burnley 21pts

You are correct Scott as we played last in that round of fixtures I missed that, I'd only looked at the table after each weekend (round of fixtures). Apologies wasn't trying to mislead.
Burnley won on Saturday 30th Oct to move above us on goal difference overnight. We didn't play until Sunday when we won at Norwich to move back above them.
No worries, Selby. To be fair, I actually thought you were right with August until I saw it mentioned somewhere this morning and went to do a bit of digging. It was only about 23 or so hours in 18th at that time.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

Bizarrely, since I retired in December 2020, I haven't posted for a while, but felt it was time to rejoin the healthy debates on LUFCTALK. Why not start here?

If the last 2 games have shown us anything it is that our team struggles to compete with the top sides. Given this, replacing Bielsa with Marsch has been a waste of time. In my opinion, with the key injured players back, Bielsa would have done at least as well, and likely better, over the period since he was sacked. We lost to Villa, Leicester, Man City and Arsenal; we dew with Southampton at home and scraped a point at Palace that we didn't deserve. We won at Watford, playing badly, Wolves (2 down until they went down to 10 men), and got a last gasp winner at home to Norwich when a draw looked on the cards.

This is not an improvement on Marcelo. Our football is dire: we don't press, we give the ball away cheaply, can't string two passes together, look less sharp and are still appalling defending set pieces. He has had zero effect. Yes he can talk to the press but it's all about mental attitude and sound bites, he's no tactician. Marcelo was one of the top managers in the game and we booted him out, unceremoniously. When he went we were 15th with winnable games ahead and players returning from long term injuries, now we are 18th and looking odds on for relegation.

It was a major miscalculation by the board and Marcelo was treated horrendously after all he had done for the club and the city. They should have shown him some loyalty and trust and, if we do go down or even if we stay up, I would be begging him to come back. I hope I'm wrong about Jesse but I fear I'm not and he won't last long.

Rant over - good to be back :D
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

phil62 wrote:Bizarrely, since I retired in December 2020, I haven't posted for a while, but felt it was time to rejoin the healthy debates on LUFCTALK. Why not start here?

If the last 2 games have shown us anything it is that our team struggles to compete with the top sides. Given this, replacing Bielsa with Marsch has been a waste of time. In my opinion, with the key injured players back, Bielsa would have done at least as well, and likely better, over the period since he was sacked. We lost to Villa, Leicester, Man City and Arsenal; we dew with Southampton at home and scraped a point at Palace that we didn't deserve. We won at Watford, playing badly, Wolves (2 down until they went down to 10 men), and got a last gasp winner at home to Norwich when a draw looked on the cards.

This is not an improvement on Marcelo. Our football is dire: we don't press, we give the ball away cheaply, can't string two passes together, look less sharp and are still appalling defending set pieces. He has had zero effect. Yes he can talk to the press but it's all about mental attitude and sound bites, he's no tactician. Marcelo was one of the top managers in the game and we booted him out, unceremoniously. When he went we were 15th with winnable games ahead and players returning from long term injuries, now we are 18th and looking odds on for relegation.

It was a major miscalculation by the board and Marcelo was treated horrendously after all he had done for the club and the city. They should have shown him some loyalty and trust and, if we do go down or even if we stay up, I would be begging him to come back. I hope I'm wrong about Jesse but I fear I'm not and he won't last long.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Welcome back from one Phil to another Phil.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

phil62 wrote:Bizarrely, since I retired in December 2020, I haven't posted for a while, but felt it was time to rejoin the healthy debates on LUFCTALK. Why not start here?

Very much as I see it :thumbup:

Welcome back Phil62 :wave:

And welcome to the ranks of us retired members.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Welcome back, agree totally with all you say, especially trying to get MB back, but that will never happen.

Also don't join the retired - back to work club, it's not as good lol
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
whitedancer
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by whitedancer »

Will u also blame marsch for the negative goal difference he inherited :?: