2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NIK MOT
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by NIK MOT »

Selby White wrote:On behalf of the Mod team could we all refrain from using words that are either classed as vulgar or swear words irrespective of whether you use ** to replace letters.
We are a family friendly forum and it is not allowed, if in doubt please read the forum rules.

Thanks.
:clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: to that comment!
Professor Giles
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Professor Giles »

If Collins happens it will be a great move for us as we should get him relatively cheaply at this stage of his career. I could see Collins, Struijk and Cresswell forming the backbone of our defence for many years to come. Llorente and Koch are both Ok defenders but not outstanding - not what we might have expected from German and Spanish internationals. Llorente was particularly good towards the back end of the previous season when he recovered from his initial injuries and we went on a great run but he seems to have gone backwards in the season just ended. I think Koch and Llorente were both bought for their ball-playing skills to suit Marcelo's system rather than for their defensive dominance, but we need a bit more steel back there as both can be a bit soft. That said, if Newcastle are after Collins they will probably get him.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Is Nathan Collins an upgrade on our current CB's? No. I don't want him, I would like to see Cresswell given an opportunity instead
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

DominanceUK wrote:Is Nathan Collins an upgrade on our current CB's? No. I don't want him, I would like to see Cresswell given an opportunity instead
I tend to agree and although some will argue our goals conceded suggest we need to strengthen our CBs.

However in the modern game defending is a team job and all too often our CBs got left exposed and outnumbered when the rest of the team bombed forward and then gave the ball away cheaply. Any CBs would (or should struggle) with 3 players coming at 2 of them.
Also take out Kalvin out leaves them relieved of what little protection they get (although Forshaw did well).
Initially JM tried to improve things by playing our wingers narrow but that left us exposed on the flanks imho.
The solution as much as different formations is better quality that can hold the ball up and not give it away, play sloppy passes when we have numbers forward (that's the real problem). BA may be part of that solution.

Some will point to set pieces but think the issue is CBs its difficult when you have only 2 or 3 6 footers marking 5 or 6 players that height. The issue is exaggerated with not having Paddy to help out and smaller players taking the role.

Compare us to Burnley where the whole team is set up to get behind the ball and not to concede and hope to snatch one from a set piece due to filling the team with big players.
Maybe that is a over exaggeration to Burnley but think their set up is based more on survival than competing, despite the poor season we have higher ambitions.

What I'm trying to say is a CB is certain to look better if playing in a system like Burnley than ours (but doubt their wingers score as many as ours).

I'm also not saying Collins isn't a very good prospect but not sure he would do better than what we have given the other factors. Other positions are more of a priority.
Of course if anyone leaves then we should be looking and also if we go to 3 at the back we need another.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

I am told there is a higher chance he goes to Brighton than us and there is only a tiny chance he ends up at Leeds. Everton more likely than Newcastle.

I am watching the playoff final think I want Huddersfield to win as much as I hate their fans. Forrest have 3 players we are interested in and will be tougher opposition for the relegation sports next year.
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by judy »

corkleedsmot wrote:I am told there is a higher chance he goes to Brighton than us and there is only a tiny chance he ends up at Leeds. Everton more likely than Newcastle.

I am watching the playoff final think I want Huddersfield to win as much as I hate their fans. Forrest have 3 players we are interested in and will be tougher opposition for the relegation sports next year.

It’s a shame you didn’t get your wish. In a way I’m happy it’s Forest because they have been away from the Premier League for a longer time than we were! Their fans will be ecstatic - as we were. I just feel so happy we survived to spend another season in the top league.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

I hope we try to get O'Brien again. A fabulous player, just in tbe position we need.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

superfox wrote:I hope we try to get O'Brien again. A fabulous player, just in tbe position we need.
Wouldn't be surprised now they haven't come up.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

superfox wrote:I hope we try to get O'Brien again. A fabulous player, just in tbe position we need.
Yeah very tidy player. I like having a left footer in Centre midfield as well. People saying he is like Forshaw and not much of an upgrade but the left footer makes him a different asset. The trouble with not buying him because of their fee last window means they will look for more now the season he has had. he is worth about 15 now i reckon but they will ask for more, especially from Leeds haha.
I do wonder though will Bournemouth or somebody like that pick him up. They are looking for a couple of midfielders too.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

judy wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:I am told there is a higher chance he goes to Brighton than us and there is only a tiny chance he ends up at Leeds. Everton more likely than Newcastle.

It’s a shame you didn’t get your wish. In a way I’m happy it’s Forest because they have been away from the Premier League for a longer time than we were! Their fans will be ecstatic - as we were. I just feel so happy we survived to spend another season in the top league.
Forrest are a prem club. Ordinarily I would want them up but I covet a few of their players so am salty :lol: