2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Another Northern Soul »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Manchester United defender Phil Jones, 30, is on a list of players interesting Leeds United, but the Whites could face competition from Southampton and Fulham for the Englishman. Source BBC.
Sorry, being pedantic the source wasn't the BBC, it was some Manchester 'media' source that I've not heard of before, Sounds complete rubbish to me, made up.

You watch now, it will be completely true :lol:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:Manchester United defender Phil Jones, 30, is on a list of players interesting Leeds United, but the Whites could face competition from Southampton and Fulham for the Englishman. Source BBC.
Sorry, being pedantic the source wasn't the BBC, it was some Manchester 'media' source that I've not heard of before, Sounds complete rubbish to me, made up.

I’d be staggered if we buy another CB, we have plenty already with Cooper, Llorente, Koch, Struijk and Cresswell.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:

I’d be staggered if we buy another CB, we have plenty already with Cooper, Llorente, Koch, Struijk and Cresswell.
Wouldn't want Jones for any of those, he's hardly played in the last 3 seasons, 6 games total.
Got to be desperate journalism.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

Wouldn't want Jones for any of those, he's hardly played in the last 3 seasons, 6 games total.
If you ran a poll of Leeds fans with the options of Leeds taking a proper punt on Charlie this year or buying Phil Jones and loaning Charlie out you would get the most lopsided poll results since polls began
I do worry about how often Koch,Llorente and Cooper are injured though. We def can't loan Charlie out if we don't buy.
Are we really not going to get a left back though? we could probably have the other Charlie back at a snip. Having one left back in Firpo for a full season is very worrying. Maybe they are waiting on the outcome of Raph and Kalvin? I hope so
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

corkleedsmot wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

If you ran a poll of Leeds fans with the options of Leeds taking a proper punt on Charlie this year or buying Phil Jones and loaning Charlie out you would get the most lopsided poll results since polls began
I do worry about how often Koch,Llorente and Cooper are injured though. We def can't loan Charlie out if we don't buy.
Are we really not going to get a left back though? we could probably have the other Charlie back at a snip. Having one left back in Firpo for a full season is very worrying. Maybe they are waiting on the outcome of Raph and Kalvin? I hope so
Many fans rave above Gelhardt as the brightest youngster and understandably so, but Cresswell is the one for me. He looks a proper CB, no nonsense, gets stuck in. He could be a real star.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

Barlow Boy wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

Many fans rave above Gelhardt as the brightest youngster and understandably so, but Cresswell is the one for me. He looks a proper CB, no nonsense, gets stuck in. He could be a real star.
I think both have similar ceilings mate either way. Both you would hope go on and play for England and by the time they are developed hopefully the club will be at a place where we can keep them. I still wouldn't want either starting every game though still. Gelhardt is easier to give minutes to though. Look around the prem and see how few CB's even play under 21 regularly. I doubt there is more and even half a dozen. It will take a while to figure out Joffy's best position too imo. He is such a weird player :lolno: very particular set of skills like Liam Neeson.
These are the sorts of players I love though and want more at the club. Players you look at and say he could be anything. It just adds another layer of interest for me :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

corkleedsmot wrote: These are the sorts of players I love though and want more at the club. Players you look at and say he could be anything. It just adds another layer of interest for me :thumbup:
I know what you mean, loved watching that quartet of Byram, Taylor, Mowatt and Cook develop. Endless amounts of chats in the pub before walking down to the ground as to who would go furthest.

On that note, as I’ve said previously in this thread, I’d have Charlie back in a heartbeat. I’d forgive him refusing to play that time :lol:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote: I know what you mean, loved watching that quartet of Byram, Taylor, Mowatt and Cook develop.
Must admit I was much the same but don't think any of them have achieved what I thought the would. Looked every part future international states when here, should have stayed "take note Kalvin".
Just made decent careers out of the game without scaling the heights.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

Very few players from either of of the FA youth cup winning teams had good careers after they left Leeds. Very few of O Learys team did much either. Mostly their careers went downhill afterwards or they never reached their potential besides Ferdinand really? Alot were very unlucky with injuries too. Bridges, Woodgate, Smith, Kewell, Mcphail. Pretty mental really how cursed a few of that lot were. Can't say I was too unhappy in Kewells case though. What I would give for Michael Bridges in this window. Was such a silky player. Mcphail rates the unlukiest for me though. Hadn't a hope with his injury luck either.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Mcphail was a gifted player but just did not have the mobility needed for the Premier League. Such a shame.