2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Mr Russell »

Sturridge's time here in Australia was a failure last season so it should be very obvious that it's a lie.

Wasn't a bad player back in the day though.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

Adams deal is advanced supposedly from a pretty reliable source that reported the Mane transfer out of nowhere in May and another bid going in for Octavio. 2 of the worst deals of the players we are linked with. I have zero faith in Orta so i presume all this is true until proven otherwise.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Leicester White wrote:
kk white wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:...I can remember being really excited hearing we signed Viduka on the radio :lol:
I remember following that one on the back pages for what seemed like an age :D
And Dominic Matteo and Robbie Keane! We got it massively right that season.

The following season, we got it horribly wrong with just 2 signings but expensive ones which we didn't need... they didn't improve the team and meant great players like Robbie Keane were less involved... Robbie Fowler and Seth Johnson!
Not forgetting Darren Huckerby and Wilcox I can't remember the season they came in but both added to the ridiculous and unnecessary purchases list :roll:
Last edited by PhoenixUnited on 24 Jun 2022, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Keep The Faith / WAL
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
Leicester White wrote:
kk white wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:...I can remember being really excited hearing we signed Viduka on the radio :lol:
I remember following that one on the back pages for what seemed like an age :D
And Dominic Matteo and Robbie Keane! We got it massively right that season.

The following season, we got it horribly wrong with just 2 signings but expensive ones which we didn't need... they didn't improve the team and meant great players like Robbie Keane were less involved... Robbie Fowler and Seth Johnson!
Not forgetting Darren Huckerby and the winger from Blackburn Rovers whose name escapes me and
I can't remember the season they came in but both added to the ridiculous and unnecessary purchases list :roll:
Jason Wilcox ?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Not forgetting Darren Huckerby and the winger from Blackburn Rovers whose name escapes me and
I can't remember the season they came in but both added to the ridiculous and unnecessary purchases list :roll:

Jason Wilcox & 1999
Winner of the Europa League
Leonickroberts

Post by Leonickroberts »

corkleedsmot wrote:Adams deal is advanced supposedly from a pretty reliable source that reported the Mane transfer out of nowhere in May and another bid going in for Octavio. 2 of the worst deals of the players we are linked with. I have zero faith in Orta so i presume all this is true until proven otherwise.
What's the source Cork?

Have to admit I don't think Orta has done a bad job so far this summer. On paper at least - 3 new signings, 2 full internationals, and sticking to guns on not selling our prized assets on the cheap. On his previous track record I think it's legitimate to be critical, but not on this summer so far.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
corkleedsmot

Post by corkleedsmot »

Leonickroberts wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:Adams deal is advanced supposedly from a pretty reliable source that reported the Mane transfer out of nowhere in May and another bid going in for Octavio. 2 of the worst deals of the players we are linked with. I have zero faith in Orta so i presume all this is true until proven otherwise.
What's the source Cork?

Have to admit I don't think Orta has done a bad job so far this summer. On paper at least - 3 new signings, 2 full internationals, and sticking to guns on not selling our prized assets on the cheap. On his previous track record I think it's legitimate to be critical, but not on this summer so far.
A lady in Germany Grimes who is pretty accurate in Euro transfers.

So far I agree with you. I like all 3 players. But if Kalvin and Raph go and that is very very likely he needs to get that right. That is what he will be judge by in the end I think? The links are more than good but I have always thought we would overpay for Adams because that is Orta's MO and JM does have a chip on his shoulder about US players. Worst of the 3 DM's linked. I like Otavio but 40 million for a guy who will be 30 with 2 years left on his contract, Who isn't suited to the prem imo or this Leeds side anyway. He is best as a right winger not narrow. Stinks of Rodrigo all over again. Fancy signing that ends in disaster. He seems to get fixated on the same players and makes the same mistakes.
Camara is clearly interested and a blind man can see he is a huge talent and already way superior to Adams and likely same price or cheaper... It is a tap in. It is like seeing a young Kante and saying nah I will have this guy who is surplus at Leipzig and I will pay more for him :lol:
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

So this debate over new defensive midfielders and the comparison between Adams, Camara and Berge had me fascinated, so I fired up Transfermarkt and FBref and did some rudimentary analysis. I picked the stats I thought would be interesting to see how injury prone they are, how well they do in possession, with carries, with passing and with defending - along with the basics, age, transfer value, red/yellow cards, goals/assists etc.

If I wanted to spend more time on this I'd normalise the data a bit more and weight the stats that are more interesting for a DM than a CM etc. but I didn't want to spend that much time on it, so take it with a pinch of salt (this is just a bit of fun!).

Conclusions are:
Camara would be an amazing signing.
Berge is more progressive but otherwise the worst choice (perhaps more of an 8 than a 6, given the way we talk about midfielders these days)
Adams is more like Kalvin than either Camara or Berge.

Based on this rudimentary analysis our order of preference for replacing Kalvin should he leave would be Camara >>>> Adams >> Berge.

Where the data isn't a percentage it's usually per 90 mins e.g. 2.4 tackles per 90 etc. Also, last top flight season = last 365 days for Phillips, Adams and Camara, and is the 20/21 season spent in the PL for Berge.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Just announced on Talksport that the deal for Philips to Man City is done. 42 million. Not best pleased with that.
CanuckMightyWhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

Costy wrote:Just announced on Talksport that the deal for Philips to Man City is done. 42 million. Not best pleased with that.
Ouch, at least 8M short that, if not more. Also getting a U23 midfielder back, someone not named McAtee, Lavia or Garner. Darko Gyabi!