Leeds or Forum?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Leeds or Forum?

Post by Sniffer »

alwaysleeds wrote:We all have our opinions about our dear Leeds United. I even am quite sure that my opinions are really odd on this forum. Sometimes I write about things no one give comments to, and often discussions can be "thousands of comments" that I for myself feel absolutely boring or uninteresting. At some times I'm active, but then there come some weeks I'm not here at all. I make of it, what I make of it.

For what I know, I don't know enyone else in person here on the forum. I have never been to Leeds (not yet anyway!), but Leeds has been MY TEAM since I was around 7 years old. Often I think back to those days with Lorimer, Bremner, Clarke, Jones, Madeley, Giles and so on. But I often also think forward. That's important. And to me it's then a main thought thinking in several years, NOT thinking shortly.

Mark my words: THE ONLY WAY for Leeds to be a giant again is going for the younger stars. And nowadays we have plenty of them. Here in this forum we always discuss about who we're going to buy and need to buy. Extremely seldom we discuss the younger and coming stars. They are our future! And we can't buy our way to success, we have to go deep and look forward. (Sometimes I feel I'm the only one here at the forum that thinks in these ways)

I'm not going to criticise those that are more negative. I'm not going to criticise those that ignore my comments or think I'm too odd - I'm here for the team. IN LONG TERM!

A golden tip to Cellino; Team for the first game against Millwall: Grimes; Byram, Killock, Skelton, C Taylor; Phillips, Dawson, Mowatt, Denton; Mbanje, McDaid. Subs: Cairns, Coker, Swan, Cook, White, Poleon. If you dare, of course. 8-)
Odd, alwaysleeds? Odd? No. Why would we think someone that has a picture of a cat wearing a lime-skin helmet odd? ;)
It always makes me smile whenever I read your posts. :D :D :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

alwaysleeds wrote:
ben87 wrote:you need negative fans, they can be more realists.
another club (different sport) that is a big part of my life was run terribly for years and years, though we've come good now, i remember thinking back then "why should i pay for tickets, merchandise and membership if they cant even win a game and the guys at the top seem totally backwards and out of the depth"
and its true, passion and love for the sport/team is all great, but at the end of the day if you keep forking out hard earned for sub par results and shitty managment, well, i guess youve been had.
im not sure were i stand regarding massimo, im somewhat hopeful i guess, but also as a leeds fan this is all somewhat familiar.
Excuse me for saying this; why is it that pessimists or negative persons call themselves realists? I've often wondered that. Can't be more wrong. Optimists are as good realists than the pessimists. ;)
Realists weigh up all the pro's and con's and come to a balanced judgement. Optimists and Pessimists take an emotive view and tend to discount anything that contravenes that view. I am fairly sure that I am a realist and am quite optimistic that I am not a pessimist.
I once played against Don Revie.
alwaysleeds
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by alwaysleeds »

Sniffer wrote:
alwaysleeds wrote:We all have our opinions about our dear Leeds United. I even am quite sure that my opinions are really odd on this forum. Sometimes I write about things no one give comments to, and often discussions can be "thousands of comments" that I for myself feel absolutely boring or uninteresting. At some times I'm active, but then there come some weeks I'm not here at all. I make of it, what I make of it.

For what I know, I don't know enyone else in person here on the forum. I have never been to Leeds (not yet anyway!), but Leeds has been MY TEAM since I was around 7 years old. Often I think back to those days with Lorimer, Bremner, Clarke, Jones, Madeley, Giles and so on. But I often also think forward. That's important. And to me it's then a main thought thinking in several years, NOT thinking shortly.

Mark my words: THE ONLY WAY for Leeds to be a giant again is going for the younger stars. And nowadays we have plenty of them. Here in this forum we always discuss about who we're going to buy and need to buy. Extremely seldom we discuss the younger and coming stars. They are our future! And we can't buy our way to success, we have to go deep and look forward. (Sometimes I feel I'm the only one here at the forum that thinks in these ways)

I'm not going to criticise those that are more negative. I'm not going to criticise those that ignore my comments or think I'm too odd - I'm here for the team. IN LONG TERM!

A golden tip to Cellino; Team for the first game against Millwall: Grimes; Byram, Killock, Skelton, C Taylor; Phillips, Dawson, Mowatt, Denton; Mbanje, McDaid. Subs: Cairns, Coker, Swan, Cook, White, Poleon. If you dare, of course. 8-)
Odd, alwaysleeds? Odd? No. Why would we think someone that has a picture of a cat wearing a lime-skin helmet odd? ;)
It always makes me smile whenever I read your posts. :D :D :D
Can't help that I was born like that... :D
alwaysleeds
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by alwaysleeds »

johnh wrote:
alwaysleeds wrote:
ben87 wrote:you need negative fans, they can be more realists.
another club (different sport) that is a big part of my life was run terribly for years and years, though we've come good now, i remember thinking back then "why should i pay for tickets, merchandise and membership if they cant even win a game and the guys at the top seem totally backwards and out of the depth"
and its true, passion and love for the sport/team is all great, but at the end of the day if you keep forking out hard earned for sub par results and shitty managment, well, i guess youve been had.
im not sure were i stand regarding massimo, im somewhat hopeful i guess, but also as a leeds fan this is all somewhat familiar.
Excuse me for saying this; why is it that pessimists or negative persons call themselves realists? I've often wondered that. Can't be more wrong. Optimists are as good realists than the pessimists. ;)
Realists weigh up all the pro's and con's and come to a balanced judgement. Optimists and Pessimists take an emotive view and tend to discount anything that contravenes that view. I am fairly sure that I am a realist and am quite optimistic that I am not a pessimist.
An interesting philosophic view! I'll buy it! :thumbup:
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

SMorientes wrote:As someone who has left the forum for spells in the past, at times due to what I then perceived as too much negativity, since I've returned in the last month or so I'd say it isn't that at all that drives you away; like Nesslin says it's the repetition and pervasiveness of some attitudes. Some posters are happy to make their point once and move on, others want to plaster their opinion over every active thread on the board. I can handle a negative post, hell I can handle several, it's when I can't avoid them that it starts sapping my desire to read the forum. Sometimes it's what some would deem 'positive' posts ("let's get behind the current regime" etc) that become exhausting in their inane ubiquity. It just becomes draining reading lengthy posts that amount to the same thing over and over again (not that I can ever criticise anyone for being too prolix). I couldn't even try to count the number of times I've read posts saying that we need to buy some new centre backs for example. Why can't we take that as read? It's blindingly obvious and been said by everyone else on the forum hundreds of times so why say it again? I find it baffling and although I appreciate it when there have been lots of posting activity on the forum so there is lots to read, I just wish that there was more variety. It's like back in the Bates era, 2/3 of posts would end bates out or contain an anti-Bates rant. I never had a problem with people holding that opinion, or airing it, I just didn't want to see it on every post I tried to read.

Why don't people get as bored of repeating themselves as it is boring to read them repeating themselves? I don't know but I would suggest to several posters, have a think about what you're posting, if you've said it hundreds of times, try writing something new instead, or maybe nothing at all!

It takes time to sit and read this forum and I don't want that time to be wasted.

I did consider aswell that I was getting bored with Leeds rather than the forum back in February or March, but that wasn't the case, although I was totally fed up with the season and the football I was seeing, I was still following every match and watching as much as I had time to, just not coming on here.

For the record my judgement is still reserved on Cellino and Hockaday, I'm neither happy nor distraught at how things are being run, I primarily just want to see some good football and only time will tell whether I get to see that.

It does sadden me now that some great posters of old don't seem to be around any more. I don't know the individual reasons for most of them, but I would guess it's something similar to what I felt when I took a break. I hope they return someday soon.
This! A hundred times, this!

The sheer quantity of inane, trite, misinformed and redundant posts in the forum for months is staggering to me. By the looks of it though, most people enjoy it (and contribute to keeping it this way). It saddens me and gives me no pleasure of using it anymore, so I rarely drop by. But if it's worth anything to anyone's ears, what SM said is what a fair few people are thinking.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

It's like reading women's weekly on here sometimes. :lol:

I like to think I'm in the positive camp in regards to Cellino, for one reason only ....... The season hasn't started yet. Some of the negativity belies belief sometimes, not that there's a lot from what I've seen, but predicting our failure and demise, along with criticising Cellino at the same time irks with me TBH. In the last transfer window he brought in Butland and Wickham, two quality players, better than what we had already. The team played rubbish though, even with these two quality signings.

I can't for the life in me understand why some won't just see how we do, before getting the knives out, I just don't think it's fair. I'm not an over zealous Cellino groupie, I'm just willing to see where we go under him, it might be downwards, but hopefully it's upwards. At least he gives me the impression he wants us to get us back in the premiership, unlike Bates and GFH.

I see no arguing really on here, I see great banter, I see some, but not a lot of negativity, I see some positivity. I don't see anything remotely, that would prevent me from not wanting to be on here and I'm baffled by anyone who does.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Aces wrote:It's like reading women's weekly on here sometimes. :lol:

I like to think I'm in the positive camp in regards to Cellino, for one reason only ....... The season hasn't started yet. Some of the negativity belies belief sometimes, not that there's a lot from what I've seen, but predicting our failure and demise, along with criticising Cellino at the same time irks with me TBH. In the last transfer window he brought in Butland and Wickham, two quality players, better than what we had already. The team played rubbish though, even with these two quality signings.

I can't for the life in me understand why some won't just see how we do, before getting the knives out, I just don't think it's fair. I'm not an over zealous Cellino groupie, I'm just willing to see where we go under him, it might be downwards, but hopefully it's upwards. At least he gives me the impression he wants us to get us back in the premiership, unlike Bates and GFH.

I see no arguing really on here, I see great banter, I see some, but not a lot of negativity, I see some positivity. I don't see anything remotely, that would prevent me from not wanting to be on here and I'm baffled by anyone who does.
McDermott brought those two, funded by Cellino.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

Aces, sometimes its a good thing to take a step back also, for me i sometimes take the step away because i dont want to be getting sucked into the site being the be all end all of things in my day. I use the site for information and to read up on peoples views and that works well, but there are times i post too much and get emotionally entangled into debates that honestly i should stay well clear of. Some post just for the sake of posting and i dont wanna be drawn into that type of posting. I try to post what makes sense to me of things ive read. Either way, i am always watching :D . Now don't be baffled anymore the seasons about to get underway and we can all go back to posting about things football itself.

MOT
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I don't really see the difference, they would have probably come to Leeds because we are a big club and it looks good on their CV, but they wouldn't have come without Cellino, under GFH we wouldn't have got them.
Last edited by Aces on 01 Aug 2014, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

CorkWhite wrote:Aces, sometimes its a good thing to take a step back also, for me i sometimes take the step away because i dont want to be getting sucked into the site being the be all end all of things in my day. I use the site for information and to read up on peoples views and that works well, but there are times i post too much and get emotionally entangled into debates that honestly i should stay well clear of. Some post just for the sake of posting and i dont wanna be drawn into that type of posting. I try to post what makes sense to me of things ive read. Either way, i am always watching :D . Now don't be baffled anymore the seasons about to get underway and we can all go back to posting about things football itself.

MOT
It's all good mate. :thumbup:

I've only been on here for a year, maybe in a couple more years I might feel like I want to not bother as much.