2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: 2022 - 2023 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 14:21
John Dane wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 12:55 We conceded 79 goals last season and right now we have a defense that matches last season at best. We have bought Kristensen, who I rate as comparable to Ayling, we have the same goalkeeper, the same pair of stoppers, no Liam Cooper and no left back. Hopefully it's me who doesn't understand football, but I don't understand our purchases. Or what we don't buy!
I’ve said it multiple times now, I’d be staggered if we don’t buy a LB, particularly having let Davis go. Struijk is no LB, he’s proving that already (not his fault of course). We are leaving it late, but a LB will be with us I’m certain.

Our style of play alone will reduce the number of goals we conceed, the opposition won’t get as many chances, plus with a bit of luck with injuries and general improvement through experience of the Premier League I’d expect that goals conceded column to improve.
Just to add to this. Leaking goals isn't just about the 5 players in defence its also about the midfield and partly the forwards. Midfield in particular pay a huge role with defense, most of the goals came when KP was out, his injury record suggests that will happen again this year if he stayed with us. So nearly 50mil, replaced with a true holder in Adams amd a golfing playmaker similar to KP I Roca should help. Two DMs rather than 1.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

HalifaxWhite wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 17:48
John Dane wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 12:55 We conceded 79 goals last season and right now we have a defense that matches last season at best. We have bought Kristensen, who I rate as comparable to Ayling, we have the same goalkeeper, the same pair of stoppers, no Liam Cooper and no left back. Hopefully it's me who doesn't understand football, but I don't understand our purchases. Or what we don't buy!
I’ve said it multiple times now, I’d be staggered if we don’t buy a LB, particularly having let Davis go. Struijk is no LB, he’s proving that already (not his fault of course). We are leaving it late, but a LB will be with us I’m certain.

Our style of play alone will reduce the number of goals we conceed, the opposition won’t get as many chances, plus with a bit of luck with injuries and general improvement through experience of the Premier League I’d expect that goals conceded column to improve.
Just to add to this. Leaking goals isn't just about the 5 players in defence its also about the midfield and partly the forwards. Midfield in particular pay a huge role with defense, most of the goals came when KP was out, his injury record suggests that will happen again this year if he stayed with us. So nearly 50mil, replaced with a true holder in Adams amd a golfing playmaker similar to KP I Roca should help. Two DMs rather than 1.
The big miss for the defence last season was Patrick Bamford and the work he puts in at the front
Keep The Faith / WAL
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Not really bothered about letting Davies go as believe either Struijk or Hjelde are better at LB even if its not the perfect solution.
I want Struijk competing with Coops for left CB but do think Hjelde has a future as LB has some of the right attributes.
That is not saying either are LBs just that I don't think Davies was anywhere near Prem standard in any position.
I agree we possibly should have bought but assume in the long run JM is happy with Firpo & Dallas and relying on them coming back sooner rather than later.
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

I agree with BB that our style of play and the additional midfield players will hopefully mitigate our goal exposure but I also agree with JD. This is the exact same defence as last year eight he exception of Kristensen. I’m flabbergasted that we haven’t purchased any high calibre CBs and that JM must consider the 4 we have as being PL level. I think Koch is definitely not up to it whilst Llorente isn’t physically strong enough. LC has served us well as a leader, but again falls short of the required level for the PL. Struijk is potentially of the necessary calibre but needs to show it consistently this coming season. Just my humble opinion which I’m sure some will disagree with.
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

PhoenixUnited wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 18:45 The big miss for the defence last season was Patrick Bamford and the work he puts in at the front
With you on that, add Aaronson's energy too and I think we'll see a big difference this season.
awost1
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by awost1 »

Our press looks worlds better than last year. That alone will shave 10 goals off the totals. We’re going to pick on other lower end teams.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

Rumours resurfaced about Gakpo from PSV. In addition some links to Maxwell Cornet from Burnley.

I also saw Helder Costa looks set to depart to a Saudi club.

After the early transfer activity we seemed to have slowed. Striker, LB and an experienced GK all needed ideally in my opinion. The GK should be easy if we go in for Ben Foster.
Costy

Post by Costy »

I'd be really happy with Maxwell Cornet if that one turned out to be true. Think there's a very decent player there if used correctly. For me a striker is the main priority, and of course a proper left back would be nice too.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

blackbox2342 wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 21:21 Rumours resurfaced about Gakpo from PSV. In addition some links to Maxwell Cornet from Burnley.

I also saw Helder Costa looks set to depart to a Saudi club.

After the early transfer activity we seemed to have slowed. Striker, LB and an experienced GK all needed ideally in my opinion. The GK should be easy if we go in for Ben Foster.
Can't see either Gakpo or Cornet happening unless Harrison leaves. One thing we don't need right now is more wingers given our narrow formation. I guess the advantage of Cornet is that he's played a lot at LB throughout his career, but tbh I think it's lkely lazy journalism because he'll definitely end up in the EPL somewhere.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
MOT1964

Post by MOT1964 »

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... ed-on-loan

Leeds United can confirm that Lewis Bate has today joined Oxford United on a season-long loan deal.

The 19-year-old will head to the Kassam Stadium to gain further experience within first team football, in a side that have regularly been towards the top of the Sky Bet League One table and fighting for promotion in recent years.

After joining the Whites in the summer of 2021, the midfielder initially linked up with the Under-23s side and was impressive throughout the campaign, which saw him called up to the senior squad on a number of occasions.

Bate made his Premier League debut for the Whites by contributing towards a memorable victory for the club away at West Ham United in January, which would go on to prove a vital three points in the battle for safety.

Oxford finished in eighth place last season, narrowly missing out on the Play-Off positions. In the two years prior, they finished inside the Play-Offs on both occasions but were unable to secure promotion to the Championship.

Everyone at Leeds United wishes Lewis the best of luck as he aims to continue his development in this loan spell at Oxford United.