Merry Christmas Everyone

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Merry Christmas Everyone

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Our neighbours opposite have there Xmas lights on & Santa sign. These went up on the 1st December, surely this is far too early.

Bah humbug.
Winner of the Europa League
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Christmas

Post by dlw10 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Our neighbours opposite have there Xmas lights on & Santa sign. These went up on the 1st December, surely this is far too early.

Bah humbug.
Nah! December 1st is the date I always use for the outside lights - that is my job; the rest inside is down to her indoors!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Quite a few up around here (its like a competition with some folk, must bend the needle on their electric meter), also noticed last night the council had done the ones in the town centre.

However agree with NW and think its too early, the week before for me although have wrote my cards ready to post.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

If I had my way I'd have no decorations up at all. Suppose it comes with having be been a hotelier for so many years.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

The dreaded C word.

Every year I tell myself I'm going to try and enjoy Christmas but I struggle to. I hate how commercial it is now, call me a traditionalist but Christmas is a religious festival, and I'm not religious really but I doubt kids actually know that.

Christmas trees and decorations should go up no earlier than the 20th, then actually having them up is novel and makes the time that bit more special. On Boxing Day we should not be bombarded by the media about sales and offers. It should be 2 days that we can just chill out and appreciate the people we share it with.

I'm with NW, anyone who puts up decorations this early should be fined.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Sue was down town t'other day when a young man serving in M&S said he had written his cards ready to post. When a colleague of his replied " isn't sending Christmas cards by post an old a English tradition" he thought people had stopped sending them years ago. :eh:
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Sheepy wrote:The dreaded C word.

Every year I tell myself I'm going to try and enjoy Christmas but I struggle to. I hate how commercial it is now, call me a traditionalist but Christmas is a religious festival, and I'm not religious really but I doubt kids actually know that.

Christmas trees and decorations should go up no earlier than the 20th, then actually having them up is novel and makes the time that bit more special. On Boxing Day we should not be bombarded by the media about sales and offers. It should be 2 days that we can just chill out and appreciate the people we share it with.

I'm with NW, anyone who puts up decorations this early should be fined.
I love it when people insult Christianity and then start talking about what they're going to be doing for Christmas.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

This is absolutely true. Back in the 1970's I was back upt'north on business. I was booked in to the Post House Hotel just off the M1 near Wakefield. It was the last week in September and the temperature outside was 80 degrees. I had had a long hot journey (no aircon then) and walked into reception to find it completely decorated for Christmas, big tree, the lot. When I commented to the receptionist she just shrugged and said 'orders from head office'.
I once played against Don Revie.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

My parents - who came from Hull for those of you haven't been paying attention - told me that when they were growing up Xmas trees and other decorations didn't appear until one week before the 25th.

Now we're increasingly following the US. Guy Fawkes night is slowly being hijacked by Halloween.

I'm sure our US members would confirm that Thanksgiving is the main celebration of the year. In the UK we're sometimes quizzical about an inclusive society, but the last Thursday in November is neutral for Christians and Jews, so the holiday period extends to the end of the year and includes Rosh Hannah as well as Christmas.

The latest import is Black Friday.

So our cards will stubbornly remain unposted for a while yet, and I might potter with the tree this weekend or next....
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

mapperleywhite wrote:
our cards will stubbornly remain unposted for a while yet
Mrs PW is well organised and she wrote all our cards last weekend. :o
So I did my bit today and walked up to our village post office and put 'em int postbox. ;)
Sorted. :thumbup: